Denon AVR-4520CI Receiver Review Discussion Thread - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 137 Old 04-09-13, 11:32 PM
Senior Shackster
Jerry

Re: Denon AVR-4520CI Receiver Review Discussion Thread

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
What a shame that there are no demo discs to show off all the channels.
Actually, there are three official titles recorded in NEO 11.1: 'Step Up Revolution', 'Expendables 2', or 'Dredd'. (Great movies, no?)

Note that the rental versions only have 5.1 sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 137 Old 04-09-13, 11:37 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
JerryMeeker wrote: View Post
I have the 4520, and it is rock solid. I am also a frequent participant in the AVS 4520 thread. There are some recent complaints, but keep in mind that happy users don't usually post their happiness. Also note that several of the posters reporting issues purchased refurb units.

AFAIK, you currently own the 8801, and previously owned the 4520. You even stated that you heard no sonic difference between the two. What is the purpose of your post?
I had to return my denon to vanns because of a blinking red light issue. I thought I would try my hand at the 8801 since audioholics gave me a deal on it.

And now the PURPOSE of my post is exactly what I stated and asked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #83 of 137 Old 04-09-13, 11:54 PM
Shackster

My System
Quote:
JerryMeeker wrote: View Post

Actually, there are three official titles recorded in NEO 11.1: 'Step Up Revolution', 'Expendables 2', or 'Dredd'. (Great movies, no?)

Note that the rental versions only have 5.1 sound.
Those movies, as far as I know, don't actually have a discrete 11.1 sound track. They have been optimized for Neo X to make the best use of the existing 7.1 tack that's actually on the BD. What exactly "optimized" means I don't know but I did grab Expendables 2 and Dredd for just that reason.

Quote:
nezff wrote: View Post

I had to return my denon to vanns because of a blinking red light issue. I thought I would try my hand at the 8801 since audioholics gave me a deal on it.

And now the PURPOSE of my post is exactly what I stated and asked.
I think he is referring to how you're asking the question. You've returned the 4520 and already have a 8801 which doesnt seem like what your questions implies. It might seem like you're looking for more info on failing Denons, that you have an agenda of some sort. But then again I'm just reading what you guys wrote so I certainly don't know what's going on.

I've had my 4520 for over a month now and despite some decent abuse I haven't been able to destroy it. Rest assured I'll continue to try. I wish I could have gotten a 8801...

Last edited by kingpin748; 04-10-13 at 12:02 AM.

post #84 of 137 Old 04-10-13, 09:48 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

I'm trying to make a decision on one or the other. I'm debating on selling or returning the marantz and getting the denon again. Reason being that I don't hear the difference so to speak in price. My only reasoning for not possibly wanting the denon was due to the issues if you call them that with this unit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #85 of 137 Old 04-10-13, 09:51 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
kingpin748 wrote: View Post
I wish I could have gotten a 8801...
Why didn't you

post #86 of 137 Old 04-10-13, 10:02 PM
Shackster

My System
Quote:
nezff wrote: View Post

Why didn't you
Couple of reasons. First was the money. I was already over budget on the 4520 since I spent double what I'd budgeted. The other reason is that I just don't need that for my system. I feel like dropping that much coin on the preamp and then having to buy an amp would have been silly. My room isn't really setup to take advantage of what the 8801 offers, it just wouldn't make sense. Maybe one day when I have a more dedicated room I'll invest but until then I'll just admire it from afar.
post #87 of 137 Old 12-03-13, 05:36 AM
Shackster
Rick

Thanks for your welcome PM, pleased to see the rules are so strict

Just bought one of these partially based on your excellent review just waiting for the courier now, going to partner an Oppo 95 and is replacing a fairly high end Pioneer getting a little long in the tooth although it will stay in the den.

Can't wait to get my hands on this machine
post #88 of 137 Old 12-03-13, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Congratulations Rick and welcome to the Shack!

You are going to really like the 4520... a very nice receiver, as is the OPPO 95.
post #89 of 137 Old 12-03-13, 02:12 PM
Elite Shackster

Joe

My System

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Congratulations Rick and welcome to the Shack!

You are going to really like the 4520... a very nice receiver, as is the OPPO 95.
Another welcome - and congratulations! My 4520 has been perfect for my HT and I am certain you will love it. As Sonnie said, coupled with the OPPO, that is going to be a great setup!

post #90 of 137 Old 12-05-13, 01:11 PM
Shackster
Rick

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Another welcome - and congratulations! My 4520 has been perfect for my HT and I am certain you will love it. As Sonnie said, coupled with the OPPO, that is going to be a great setup!
Thank you and Sonnie for the welcomes, just getting used to finding my way around this forum (although been contributing on the AVR forums for a while)

So the beast arrived, took ages to install, had to take out the Pio and then re route all the cables to keep separation between mains, speaker and signal cables in a rack mounted on spikes so I can't move it, took quite a while till I was satisfied. Did a quick single point calibration and then tried out some music and a movie. All was OK but it did not seem much better than the Pio but it had not really a decent chance to warm through. Today left it on for 4hrs and then did a full multi-point calibration (should have said 3 point, central and two main chairs) and check with SPL meter all spot on except I thought the sub was a bit low. Then a test with the Oppo on CD analogue and bitstream. Wow got some hairs standing up on the back of my neck, same thing I had first hearing the Oppo 95 analogue, being an surprised my hearing is that good. Ran briefly a movie with DTS MA 7.1 very impressed, now looking forward to settling down with a good movie something to stretch it a bit, maybe Inception although that is so deep I need to be wide awake for it. Whatever I am now certain we are really going to enjoy the Denon. Thank you Sonnie for your excellent review which swayed me quite a bit.

Last edited by Rick R; 12-08-13 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Clarify the calibration carried out