Help: Denon 4311 Subwoofer 2 pre-out not working - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 18 Old 07-13-13, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Mark

Help: Denon 4311 Subwoofer 2 pre-out not working

I just picked up a factory Refurb 4311 and I can not seem to get the SW2 (subwoofer 2) preout working. I have enabled two speakers for the subwoofers in the speaker config menu.

No sound comes out of my 2nd subwoofer when it's connected to the SW2 input. When I plug it into SW1 input it works find so I know it's not the cabling or the subwoofer itself.

Any Ideas? Did I miss a setting somewhere to enable it?

Thanks
-Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-13-13, 07:54 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Help: Denon 4311 Subwoofer 2 pre-out not working

did you run the Audessey setup again after connecting the sub? I wonder if that has something to do with it?

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #3 of 18 Old 07-13-13, 08:27 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

First of all........congrats on your new receiver and welcome to the amazing world of Audyssey MultEQ XT32.......your two subwoofers will be very pleased with this addition.

Ok, let's check you indeed have the 2nd subwoofer output activated in your 4311. We can check this by doing this:

Using your remote control, please press the "Menu" button.
The using the remote up/down arrows, look for the "Manual Setup" section.
Once there, please use the right arrow in your remote to select "Speaker Setup"
Press the right arrow again and select "Speaker Config."
Yes, press the right arrow again and you will be able to see your current speaker configuration.
Chances are the "Subwoofer" is currently set as "1 Speaker", use the remote control arrows "again" and change that setup to "Subwoofer - 2 spkrs".

Right after that you will need to re-run Audyssey.

I hope this helps and don't forget to reply back.

Cheers!

post #4 of 18 Old 07-14-13, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Mark

Quote:
cr136124 wrote: View Post
First of all........congrats on your new receiver and welcome to the amazing world of Audyssey MultEQ XT32.......your two subwoofers will be very pleased with this addition.

Ok, let's check you indeed have the 2nd subwoofer output activated in your 4311. We can check this by doing this:

Using your remote control, please press the "Menu" button.
The using the remote up/down arrows, look for the "Manual Setup" section.
Once there, please use the right arrow in your remote to select "Speaker Setup"
Press the right arrow again and select "Speaker Config."
Yes, press the right arrow again and you will be able to see your current speaker configuration.
Chances are the "Subwoofer" is currently set as "1 Speaker", use the remote control arrows "again" and change that setup to "Subwoofer - 2 spkrs".

Right after that you will need to re-run Audyssey.

I hope this helps and don't forget to reply back.

Cheers!
Thanks for the helpful reply. I am really looking forward to Audyssey XT32. I have had 2 subs for a while but left the second one disabled as I thought it sounded better with just one. I am replacing an Onkyo 886p.

I believe I did just as you described, however I will triple check in the morning. I made sure I set which speakers I actually had hooked up before I ran Audyssey. Is it possible for a pre-out to go bad? Everything else appears to work fine, although I have only had the unit hooked up for a couple hours. This is more than slightly frustrating. I am no novice when it comes to setting up home theater systems.

Thanks for all the help. Ill report back in the morning.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-14-13, 10:37 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
loc4me wrote: View Post
Thanks for the helpful reply. I am really looking forward to Audyssey XT32. I have had 2 subs for a while but left the second one disabled as I thought it sounded better with just one. I am replacing an Onkyo 886p.

I believe I did just as you described, however I will triple check in the morning. I made sure I set which speakers I actually had hooked up before I ran Audyssey. Is it possible for a pre-out to go bad? Everything else appears to work fine, although I have only had the unit hooked up for a couple hours. This is more than slightly frustrating. I am no novice when it comes to setting up home theater systems.

Thanks for all the help. Ill report back in the morning.
Yes, a pre-out can go bad. So, it might be a possibility, but don't worry about that just yet. Follow the instructions provided before. Also, you can simple hook your Audyssey mic and then at the first screen, you should be able to change the speaker configuration too. Once again use the up/down arrows at your remote to navigate to "Channel Select" and in there you should be able select two subwoofers. While you are at that screen also make sure the "Amp Assign" selected is "Normal" (for a 7.2 to 9.2 channel configuration).

As this is a refurbish unit, I would also recommend to proceed with a microprocessor reset (just to play safe). The instructions are at page 138 on the Owner Manual (OM). But, here they are just in case:

1 - Turn off the power using ON/STANDBY
2 - Press ON/STANDBY while simultaneously pressing STANDARD and DSP SIMULATION
3 - Once the display starts flashing at intervals of about 1 second, release the two buttons*.

* If in the step 3 the display does not flash at intervals of about 1 second, start over from step 1.

Looking forward to hear your initial impressions on your systems sporting two subs and calibrated by Audyssey XT32.

post #6 of 18 Old 07-14-13, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Mark

Well this is not looking promising. I did the microprocessor reset then went to the manual setup and selected 2 speakers for the subwoofer. I still get zero output with the built-in test tone under "check levels". Audyssey does not detect it either.

I also played with the amp assign. Toggling from "Normal" to "Preamp" does not appear to resolve the issue either.

Thanks for the help. Any other ideas? I figured it was as easy as selecting two speakers for the subwoofer in the speaker setup to enable it, however, it does appear there is something wrong with my unit.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-14-13, 02:08 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Well this is not looking promising. I did the microprocessor reset then went to the manual setup and selected 2 speakers for the subwoofer. I still get zero output with the built-in test tone under "check levels". Audyssey does not detect it either.

I also played with the amp assign. Toggling from "Normal" to "Preamp" does not appear to resolve the issue either.

Thanks for the help. Any other ideas? I figured it was as easy as selecting two speakers for the subwoofer in the speaker setup to enable it, however, it does appear there is something wrong with my unit.
Could you please try to switch the subwoofers? I mean, plug the one that is working to the pre-out (SW1) to confirm the subwoofer indeed is working? Also, any chance you can replace the interconnect cable (RCA wire)?

Crazy things happens with some wires, so let's try to first ensure the subwoofer 2 is actually working and if you can replace the wires. Or simple, disconnect the sub that is working and hook the one that is not to confirm the issue is not the sub itself. If it is not, then try to replace wires.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-14-13, 02:54 PM
Shackster

My System
He did say in initial post his sub worked on other input. Is there a way to disable sub 1 and just try number two? Or maybe try factory reset?

Marantz AV 8801 Processor
Sunfire Signature Amp 400x7
Oppo DV971H DVD Player
PS3
PS4
Klipsch RF-7s
Klispch RS-7
Klipsch RC-7
Power Sound Audio Triax Subwoofer
Sharp Aquos 80 ; 3D Quattron
post #9 of 18 Old 07-14-13, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Mark

Yes. Which ever sub I have plugged into SW1 works. Neither works in SW2 so I'm sure it's the pre-out and not my cabling or subwoofer.

Is there another reset that can be performed besides the microprocessor reset that I did from post 5?
post #10 of 18 Old 07-14-13, 07:32 PM
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Quote:

Is there another reset that can be performed besides the microprocessor reset that I did from post 5?
Not that I am aware of. It sounds like something that was not fixed during the refurb - maybe they did not check that.

I bought a refurb Denon 2311 a few months back for a small downstairs system. Horrible hum from the sub out, but I fixed it by hooking the shield (outside of RCA plug) back to the chassis; better for me than sending it back. That was a pretty obvious problem, unless it happened during shipment.

Hug your pet today!