Similar options for Yamaha RX-V475 Receiver - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 25 Old 10-22-13, 04:48 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Similar options for Yamaha RX-V475 Receiver

The 709 is superior to the 717 the biggest difference is the 709 has Audyssey MultEQ® XT.
HDMI board failures is with every brand of receiver and has been linked to bad grounding from cable box installations as well as heat. The ones from accessories4less have been gone through and any repairs have been done so in my opinion better than new.
A 7.1 receiver will automatically switch to 5.1 speakers if thats all you have hooked up.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Last edited by tonyvdb; 10-22-13 at 04:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 10-23-13, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
The 709 is superior to the 717 the biggest difference is the 709 has Audyssey MultEQ® XT.
HDMI board failures is with every brand of receiver and has been linked to bad grounding from cable box installations as well as heat. The ones from accessories4less have been gone through and any repairs have been done so in my opinion better than new.
A 7.1 receiver will automatically switch to 5.1 speakers if thats all you have hooked up.
Thanks again!!

This is becoming a very hard decision. Looks like Onkyo 709 is a very good option for the price. The more I research YPAO and Audyssey, the more harder the decision. It seems that both are good systems, but the MultEQ have Low frequencies adjustment. In my case, I will be using a mini DSP, so I guess this is not a factor that could define going with Audyssey

I read that in some cases Yamaha has a better sound than Onkyo.

also, I found that YPAO will allow you to make manual fine tunning after running the autocalibration. Is this possible with Audyssey?

Do you have or have you heard this model and compared vs a Yamaha with YPAO?

Regards

Last edited by alfa-74; 10-23-13 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Adding more information
post #13 of 25 Old 10-23-13, 10:52 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

I think you would be happy with either receiver if your going to be using the mini DSP however just note that the Yamaha RX-V475 is not on the same level (lower) as the Onkyo if you buy it from Accessories4less.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #14 of 25 Old 10-23-13, 11:09 AM

I would check the new onkyo tx-nr626. Onkyo resolve the HDMI issue from previous tx-nr616, is a great option as well
post #15 of 25 Old 10-23-13, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
flaco1 wrote: View Post
I would check the new onkyo tx-nr626. Onkyo resolve the HDMI issue from previous tx-nr616, is a great option as well
Thanks for your suggestion,I will check this model as well.

Question,do you own it? any comment regarding this?

Regards
post #16 of 25 Old 10-24-13, 10:29 AM
Senior Shackster

I have the RX-V475 and I am very pleased with it..I am running a 5.1 set up as well..two front towers, center channel, 2 rear towers and a powered sub..I like the on screen menus and it has plenty of power for me in a 16x25 room...I think its a great bang for the buck.
post #17 of 25 Old 10-24-13, 01:45 PM
Senior Shackster
Sean

My System

Quote:
alfa-74 wrote: View Post
Thanks again!!

This is becoming a very hard decision. Looks like Onkyo 709 is a very good option for the price. The more I research YPAO and Audyssey, the more harder the decision. It seems that both are good systems, but the MultEQ have Low frequencies adjustment. In my case, I will be using a mini DSP, so I guess this is not a factor that could define going with Audyssey

also, I found that YPAO will allow you to make manual fine tunning after running the autocalibration. Is this possible with Audyssey?

Regards
Yes - it does. Just for the record, I think Denon is a great option, and are much more reliable then Onkyo. If you could manage to get your hands on last years model 2313 it would include MultiEQ XT as well. I bet you could find it for 450 or so if you made some calls ( advertised price is almost always more then what dealers will let it go for ). Here's a used one up on ebay for sale: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DENON-AVR-231...item461467dfc2 .. it has free shipping, but you might want to get a square trade extended warranty for it. Even better, if you only need 5.1 and don't have plans to go 7.1, get the brand new Denon X-1000 with multiEQ XT for 449.00 advertised ( again I bet you can get it for 400 with a phone call easily ) - and that will come with the full 3 year Denon warranty: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ih5VXee...AVR-X1000.html

Last edited by seanpatrick; 10-24-13 at 02:10 PM.
post #18 of 25 Old 10-24-13, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Horrorfan33 wrote: View Post
I have the RX-V475 and I am very pleased with it..I am running a 5.1 set up as well..two front towers, center channel, 2 rear towers and a powered sub..I like the on screen menus and it has plenty of power for me in a 16x25 room...I think its a great bang for the buck.
Thanks for the information, it´s good to hear this kind of comments

Quote:
seanpatrick wrote: View Post
Yes - it does. Just for the record, I think Denon is a great option, and are much more reliable then Onkyo. If you could manage to get your hands on last years model 2313 it would include MultiEQ XT as well. I bet you could find it for 450 or so if you made some calls ( advertised price is almost always more then what dealers will let it go for ). Here's a used one up on ebay for sale: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DENON-AVR-231...item461467dfc2 .. it has free shipping, but you might want to get a square trade extended warranty for it. Even better, if you only need 5.1 and don't have plans to go 7.1, get the brand new Denon X-1000 with multiEQ XT for 449.00 advertised ( again I bet you can get it for 400 with a phone call easily ) - and that will come with the full 3 year Denon warranty: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ih5VXee...AVR-X1000.html
Thanks too, i did a quick review and looks great options too, but now the decision is even more complex, I will have to make some kind of matrix with pros and cons for the different options and take a decision

Thanks
post #19 of 25 Old 10-24-13, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Anybody have another suggestion or model that I can search for?

It seems that I´m jumping from 5.1 to 7.1 or 7.2, because the more I search the more I think it´s better to have better specs.

It already happened to me with my subwoofer system. I just wanted a powered 12 in subwoofer, and I finished with a DIY 18" SI suboowfer project,which I have not finished by the way

Regards
post #20 of 25 Old 11-07-13, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Hello all again

I continued my research with some of the proposals here, and I think I have narrowed to 2 models: Denon 2313 and Yamaha RX-A820. I´m keeping out of loop Onkyo because it seems that the likelihood for a bad unit is higher with this brand and I need something reliable since I´m out of US and can´t be struggling with returning failing components.

Both units seems to be a good choice, but can anybody give me their impressions about them?

I don’t have local dealers where I can test by myself.

Thanks