Onkyo 818 wiring for sub - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 7 Old 12-10-13, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Russ

Just received the 818 and the Klipsch sub that I have is not equipped for RCA-wired connection. Any idea on how to connect this sub to the 818 or am I just out of luck? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rossra; 12-11-13 at 03:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-11-13, 02:48 PM
HTS Moderator
doug

My System
Re: Onkyo 818 wiring for sub

What kind of connectors are on the back? Is it a powered sub?
post #3 of 7 Old 12-13-13, 01:33 AM
Shackster

My System

Hey OP!! I can definitely help you out with this one!!!! If you have no line in (rca) or lfe in on the back of your klipsch subwoofer. Your going to have to set it up via speaker inputs. On the back of your sub you should see 4 sets of speaker terminals. Man I wish I post pics.. I could show you on the back of a psw 505 I have laying around. Anyway should be 4 black, 4 red. 2 should say something like "speaker in", the other should say speaker out. What you want to do is run the front left and right speakers from your 818 straight to the input on the subwoofer. Then, run two more speaker wires from the sub woofer to each of your front left and right speakers.

Now, the next thing you need to do is let the reciever know what you've done. Go into the onkyo 818 menu. Under speaker settings. Set subwoofer to OFF. FRONT to Full range, center and surrounds from 80 - 120hz depending on their size. On the back of the subwoofer...I'd set it's crossover about its halfway point... don't know it's quality...but the higher quality it is you would ideally want it to play the full range of lfe which would be to 120hz.. The lower quality it is you may find it sound better with a lower crossover setting of 80-90hz. Volume on sub 10-12 o'clock..

Once you test everything out and get it close... go ahead and start your audessey XT32. You'll probably have to go back into speaker settings and adjust your crossover setting after auddessey. Other than that, you should be all set!!!

post #4 of 7 Old 12-13-13, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Russ

Sorry for the delay, moving into the house and unpacking.....So the sub is powered and has 2 red and 2 black on the back. one set is line in and the other is line out. So it sounds as though Mechsmoto's guidance will work, however it is only 1 line in and 1 line out....so not sure how the system will differenciate between left and right if I hook up the FRONT L & R thru the sub. Can I bridge the sub using the red from FRONT R and the black from FRONT L or vice versa?
post #5 of 7 Old 12-13-13, 01:38 PM
HTS Moderator
doug

My System

Use one line out RCA from the Onkyo sub out and connect it to the line in on the sub. It only needs one and the Sub Outs on the Onkyo are the same - there is a Y on the inside of the case that makes the two sub outs that you see on the back.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-13-13, 05:31 PM
Shackster

My System
Dougc... I believe the op stated he has no rca or lfe connections on the klipsch sub... which is why I suggested using the speaker level inputs the sub would have had to have. My PSA xv15's don not have speaker level inputs.... but my older psw 505's do. This is why I tried to help the op.

He threw a "curve ball" at me so to speak by stating there are only 2 speaker level attachments.(which i would think would have to be one set "in" and ine set "out". I would think running only one tower through the sub would have to sound uneven... unless of course he has two of the klipsch subs????

Need a bit more info OP?!?! How about a pic of the back of klipsch?!?!?

When I get home I'll show you what I mean by uploading a pic of the back of my psw 505..

I figured the pic thing out!!!!!---- send it to email first, on android phones--- this will give you the option to change the fill size. Choose medium or small.... download the email pics(file size modded) back into your phones gallery, log into home theater shack... use advance reply.... upload your pics!!!!!! (Will show up in your gallery under downloads!!)
post #7 of 7 Old 12-13-13, 07:52 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Just the model of the Klipsch sub is good enough we can look up what it has for ins and outs. I can't think of any sub that would have high level inputs and outputs that would not have a line level input as well.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900