Anyone planning on getting an Emotiva XMC-1? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 16 Old 02-19-14, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System
Anyone planning on getting an Emotiva XMC-1?

I see that Emotiva is taking pre-orders on their new AV preamp. The features look very impressive and it is made in the USA which is a nice bonus.
They are using Dirac live 7.2 for room correction, this is something I am unfamiliar with and have not been able to find any real reviews of the system. I wonder how it compares with Trinnov, Audessey or any of the other systems.

http://www.xmc-1.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-19-14, 09:32 AM
Senior Shackster

prerich

Re: Anyone planning on getting an Emotiva XMC-1?

Quote:
typ44q wrote: View Post
I see that Emotiva is taking pre-orders on their new AV preamp. The features look very impressive and it is made in the USA which is a nice bonus.
They are using Dirac live 7.2 for room correction, this is something I am unfamiliar with and have not been able to find any real reviews of the system. I wonder how it compares with Trinnov, Audessey or any of the other systems.

I've heard that the only thing that compares to Dirac is Trinnov. I haven't heard Trinnov before but I've heard nothing but excellent things about it. That being said - Dirac is very nice (I like it better than Audyssey myself) . I've played with it in my HTPC and if not for the huge price ($650 US), I'd buy it and use it in my system. That's not hardware I'm talking about - its just a program! So getting Dirac in the XMC-1 was a plus. Emotiva has a winner if it can avoid the problems it had with the UMC-1, the UMC-200 seems very solid - but it's very simple. With all of the extras in the XMC-1, there lies the rub....more things that can go wrong. I'm still content using my HTPC as a prepro for now (even though I entered the drawing for the Marantz 7701 - hey a man can dream ).
post #3 of 16 Old 02-19-14, 09:56 AM
Senior Shackster

Still cheaper than others pre-pros and with Dirac it's a plus , if they solve the problems regarding the older models i can see a win-win situation for EMO .

post #4 of 16 Old 02-19-14, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
Almadacr wrote: View Post
Still cheaper than others pre-pros and with Dirac it's a plus , if they solve the problems regarding the older models i can see a win-win situation for EMO .
Yeah I can't imagine that they would make the same mistakes they did with the UMC1. Looking forward to reading reviews of the unit particularly the Dirac system once it is finally for sale.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-19-14, 10:53 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

That XMC-1 sure is a nice looking prepro. The price is hard to argue as well

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #6 of 16 Old 02-19-14, 01:10 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:

I would not comment about Dirac Live vs. other DRCs because of my biased point of view but you may have a look at reviews/comments about these other pre/processors where Dirac Live is standard:
http://datasatdigital.com/consumer/products/rs20i.php
http://thetadigital.com/casablanca_i...ler_info.shtml
http://www.barco.com/en/Products-Sol...processor.aspx

Ciao Flavio
post #7 of 16 Old 02-19-14, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
Flak wrote: View Post
I would not comment about Dirac Live vs. other DRCs because of my biased point of view but you may have a look at reviews/comments about these other pre/processors where Dirac Live is standard:
http://datasatdigital.com/consumer/products/rs20i.php
http://thetadigital.com/casablanca_i...ler_info.shtml
http://www.barco.com/en/Products-Sol...processor.aspx

Ciao Flavio
Thanks for those links, this is similar to when the R972 offered Trinnov which was previously only offered in $20K systems. Kind of hard to compare it with a typical in home $2K pre-pro/ AVR. I think to get any kind of meaningful comparison I we will have to wait until it is tested directly against "regular" consumer products.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-19-14, 02:23 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Thanks for those links, this is similar to when the R972 offered Trinnov which was previously only offered in $20K systems. Kind of hard to compare it with a typical in home $2K pre-pro/ AVR. I think to get any kind of meaningful comparison I we will have to wait until it is tested directly against "regular" consumer products.
You are right... we have to wait for the Emotiva XMC-1 release for a $2K pre/pro with Dirac Live

Flavio
post #9 of 16 Old 02-19-14, 04:27 PM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
Yup. The limited Trinnov app in the R972 was impressive but not nearly as much as the Trinnov processors, themselves. So, another big question is whether the Emotiva will be the full set or limited by the available DSP.

Kal Rubinson
post #10 of 16 Old 02-19-14, 11:05 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System

I would not be an early adopter, history simply is not on your side.