114K views 507 replies 42 participants last post by  gadgtfreek 
#1 ·
Options I am considering:

Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3030
Anthem MRX 710
Pioneer SC-79
Onkyo TX-NR5010
Denon AVR-4520

Looking for something to drive my original (bought new in 2002) Klipsch RF-7, RC-7, and RS-7 speakers. The subwoofer is a Seaton Sound SubMersive. My room is small, about 15 feet x 11 feet x 9 feet. I need high SPL capability with excellent dynamics and excellent overall sound quality. I need to be able to hit reference level with ease. The overall sound should be smooth and not too bright as I already have speakers that lean towards the brighter side of the scale. Build quality and reliability are extremely important as well.

Currently, my main home theater is still in the DVD ages with an SD plasma, DVD player, and a flagship A/V receiver from the DVD ages (2003-2004). I will be upgrading the TV to a 1080p TV, getting a Blu-ray Disc player, and a new flagship A/V receiver.

I was pretty much set on the RX-A3030 until I read how good the MRX 710 sounds. Some reviews stated that it is as close as you can get to separates with an A/V receiver. Is it really that good? However, it definitely does not have all the features of the other units mentioned. While sound quality is top priority for me, there still should be some good features available that I might want to take advantage of later down the road such as Internet connectivity.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think all of them would do very well. I'd probably lean toward the Yamaha for build quality and reliability. Onkyo if you're into room correction or are planning on using the receivers' video processing. If audio performance is of utmost importance I'd lean toward the Anthem.
Looks like a tough choice but I think your best bet would be to pick the one that has the most features that you need or think you may want in the future.

#3 ·
That is an impressive list and like Mark said any would be great. I've never had any experience with Anthem but I've read some impressive articles about them and their room correction software. I'm a really big fan of Audyssey and would probably choose one of them employing XT32 which would include the Onkyo and Denon.

#4 ·
I know it is a step down but I have had the Onkyo 3010 for a few months now. It is powering klipsch rf82's, rf62's, rc62, rc52 and using outdoor klipsch for front high. It is an amazing receiver thus far with amazing room correction. The video looked better and crisper on my epson 6020 than it was with previous receiver which was an onkyo 805. The 4 sub outs are great along with all the other features and ease of use.

#5 ·
For me Denon , Pioneer and Anthem sound the best ( music also included ) but i also would put in the mix the Marantz SR7008 (or a pre/pro AV8801) .

If you are doing 50/50, movies/music , the Denon and the Marantz would be my option for your Klipsch .

But it comes down to personal preferences . Did you audition all those models ?

#6 ·
I chose the Onkyo. I only have experience with the Pioneer and an Onkyo and I love what Audyssey does much more than Mcacc for room correction.

#7 · (Edited)
Why do people do this to me? :rubeyes:...:innocent:...:devil:

Looking for something to drive my original (bought new in 2002) Klipsch RF-7, RC-7, and RS-7 speakers. The subwoofer is a Seaton Sound SubMersive. My room is small, about 15 feet x 11 feet x 9 feet. I need high SPL capability with excellent dynamics and excellent overall sound quality. I need to be able to hit reference level with ease. The overall sound should be smooth and not too bright as I already have speakers that lean towards the brighter side of the scale. Build quality and reliability are extremely important as well.
We're running an older pair of the RF-7s in the form of Epic CF-3s. The CC is a RC-64 II and the surrounds are KSP-S6s. We have a pair of Rythmik FV15HPs. We upgraded from a Marantz SR5007 because it didn't have what it takes to cleanly reach and hold onto full on reference level play. The top of the 4520, in an entertainment credenza, door open a couple of inches with extra vent holes cut into the back of the credenza, after a movie at reference level playback, is not so hot that your can't run your hands all over the top metal casing. It was not that way with the SR5007 which was too hot for the hand.

That said, we recently purchase the Denon AVR4520CI, which comes with XT32 and SubEQ HT. The reason we purchased the 4520 was for the reason you listed, the ability to run full on reference level output with low low distortion. At the same time we acquired Denon's universal blu-ray player, the DBT-3313UDCI. We purchased the 4520 for three reasons, reference capable amplifier section, HDMI switching capability and XT32/SubEQ HT room correction software.

An aside, research showed me that the 4520CI is suppose to have pared down (from 11.2 to 9.2) guts of the Marantz AV8801 inside. Being this is a flagship model and Marantz and Denon are both the same company (D&M Group), it makes manufacturing sense to blend these two flagship Pre-Pros.

Here are a couple of review links. The first link is to a HTS review. I was partial to the last comment:

"Summing It Up

In conclusion, I am thoroughly impressed with this unit. It has about all the features you could ask for in a receiver/processor and ample power to accommodate most any speaker system. I initially intended on reviewing it and then selling it, but instead I have already sold my Onkyo 5508, XPA-3 amp and XPA-1 monoblocks. I keep thinking to myself that the 4520 seems to be a little on the pricey side, but if you consider what any other processor with the same features would cost you and then add the expense of amplification, the 4520 price actually sounds like a bargain. I think the most surprising part of my experience with the 4520 has been its ability to drive my MartinLogan speakers effortlessly. I had almost given up on ever trying receiver power because I have always read and heard that the Prodigy’s pretty much needed at least 300 watts of good clean power to perform their best. I will have to disagree with the naysayers, as I find it hard to get any better than what it is right now with the 4520 the only power amp source in my system. Excellent job Denon!"

The second link is to a recent Sound and Vision review that included bench tests to certify it's output capability. The specs of the 4520, five channels driven are equal to that of McIntosh separate amplifiers and considering the price difference between a McIntosh Pre-Pro/amplifier combination to that of a 4520, in my opinion, that's huge.

And that's why I voted for the 4520. :bigsmile:...:T

(system photos and REW graphs can be found in our photo gallery)

#8 ·
I chose the Onkyo based on my previous experience with the 5508 and 3008 compared to the Denon 4311 and Pioneer Elite SC-05 I have all owned in the past. I really do like the Pioneer Elite receivers but MCACC doesn't EQ as well as Audyssey. I also had better EQ results with the Onkyo variation of XT32 than I did Denon's by a decent margin. With the Onkyo's I didn't need to use an additional EQ for my subs, with the Denon I had to still tame some peaks and this was in the exact same system with the same mic placement.
The Onkyo also had a more dynamic tone which made the Denon sound a little bland in comparison for movies, for music the more laid back sound of the Denon was better though for jazz and easy listening.

I don't know about these new receivers though, just going off of past receivers I have owned.

#9 ·
I would get one with Audyssey XT32, as it does the best job with equalizing the subwoofer. Only a couple of the newer Pioneer models are using any filters on the subwoofer. Yamaha's YPAO does not equalize subs (not sure on their reasoning to exclude it). As far as I am concerned, there is nothing more important than getting your subwoofer response right.

I am not familiar with the current ARC system, but the older one was not that impressive to me... Audyssey XT did a better job back then... and I had the Anthem processor, not the receiver. I would probably lean towards the Denon or Onkyo. I have had the 4520 and it is nice (those are actually my comments quoted above)... and I now have the 3010 Onkyo. I have had the 4311, 4520, 5508, and 5509... and a slough of others. I can tell you I have never heard a sound difference in the amps. The correction system makes the difference in my opinion, but not between the ones with XT32, which result pretty much in identical results when everything is setup properly. Any of those receivers will easily power Klipsch speakers to their fullest extent and do it clean... I doubt you could stay in the room with them. I would look for XT32 and the other features that are important to you.

#476 ·
I would get one with Audyssey XT32, as it does the best job with equalizing the subwoofer. Only a couple of the newer Pioneer models are using any filters on the subwoofer. Yamaha's YPAO does not equalize subs (not sure on their reasoning to exclude it).
Are you sure about this? I asked Yamaha that question and they told me that the Aventage line does EQ the sub.

#10 ·
I voted for Anthem! Partially since i own a mrx 510 :D

If you are looking for sound performance, i'm going to have to suggest the Anthem. If you want all the bells and whistles of internet radio, built for ipods, front or rear usb for flac or mp3's, you'll need to look elsewhere...

I feel as the anthem arc is fairly easy to use and tinker with. The quick measure tool on arc is great for finding the best location available for your speakers/sub. Giving the user play-ability of speaker locations prior to running arc..

My only audyssey experience comes from audyssey 2eq, so i can't compare to other audyssey flavors...

#11 ·
I voted for Anthem! Partially since i own a mrx 510 :D If you are looking for sound performance, i'm going to have to suggest the Anthem. If you want all the bells and whistles of internet radio, built for ipods, front or rear usb for flac or mp3's, you'll need to look elsewhere... I feel as the anthem arc is fairly easy to use and tinker with. The quick measure tool on arc is great for finding the best location available for your speakers/sub. Giving the user play-ability of speaker locations prior to running arc.. My only audyssey experience comes from audyssey 2eq, so i can't compare to other audyssey flavors...
Lots of good buzz about the Anthem and Audyssey, but I after extensive research, I've decided to go with the Yamaha. I understand the subwoofer bass management isn't there, but I wouldn't have used it anyway, since I have Dspeaker Antimode correction, which I would submit would be superior to any correction offered in the Yamaha anyway. Reliability is important to me, which is why I ruled out Arcam and Cambridge. Also, in my experience, the benefits of separates is overrated.

#15 ·
Movie sound tracks are created flat and playing them flat is how they were intended to be heard. Are you sure the acoustics measurements of the room are flat? Or are you guessing they're flat?

Are you using REW to measure your room acoustics? Do you have any graphs we can look at?

#17 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the feedback.

Is this true?
No it's not. The reviewer in the first link was using very inefficient surround speakers with a sensitivity of 85dB. With speakers that were this "bad" one would be lucky to reach reference level play and if they did they'd be distorting the output and quite possibly the speaker itself. The second link didn't even take the time to list the speakers they were using. When the reviewers you linked to, manual set the Audyssey/Denon settings, they used the wrong settings. At minimum, all speakers are to be set to small and all crossovers are expected to be set to 80Hz with everything else to be bass managed over to the LFE channel. LFE channel is expected to be set to 120Hz.

I gave a mini-review and why the 4520CI was a good choice and linked to two long, complete, legitimate reviews. The first review was by HTS's own Sonnie and second, "Sound and Vision" which includes bench tests to verify output. I listed and linked to the speakers we are using our 4520CI with. I also have in our photo album, graphs based on our dual subwoofer setup using XT32 w/SubEQ HT.

And as soon as you can, order up a second Seaton. It will make a difference.

What do I think? I think the links you posted as examples dissing the 4520CI are terrible reviews that should be ignored and for what ever reason, each have given a review where comments of poor performance are just that, unsubstantiated opinions with no facts to back them up. If they're reading what I'm posting, my suggestion, provide empirical evidence to substantiate their claims.

I have run a bunch of blu-ray movie tracks through our system and have found, there are tracks that are golden, that leave one in stunned silence and there are other tracks that are mediocre and no amount of gear is going fix bad mastering.

Last night's movie was "Escape Plan" and it was blessed with a mediocre sound track. "Black Hawk Down" has a sound track that is seriously limited for output. Movies that have left us in stunned silence when they ending credits rolled, "The Island" and "Flyboys." A movie with huge dynamic range is "Act of Valor" that is best played at full on reference with is +/-0dB MVC.

Three movies that are basshead monsters are "Pacific Rim", "Battle: LA" and "Inception". But if one doesn't have accurately dialed in gear, measured to verify it's accuracy at setup, so as to be able to accurately reproduce these sound tracks as intended by the producer and sound/audio engineer, the listener will never know they're being robbed and they'll blame the poor performance on everything but their own incompetence.

...:eek:lddude:

Hope the above rantings help.

#19 ·
...+1...^

I'm a big fanboy of Emotiva. I don't own any of their gear but if I had to break ranks, I would do so with Emotiva. Just a bit more than a flagship receiver with better room correction software and amplifier section.

(my wife does "NOT" like me reading this kinda stuff)

#22 ·
I voted Denon never actually hearing it :)

Own the Anthem MRX300 and ARC is pretty impressive.

Owned several Pioneer Elites and wasnt too fond of MCACC or their stereo performance.

Was looking to get the x4000 but ended up with a 3010 only because of price and features.

From what I read about the MRX 510/710 they have removed the option of adding Front height speakers. I could be wrong but something to look into if you were considering that option.

#24 ·
I had the Denon 4311, Onkyo PR5508 and Marantz AV7005 all around the same time. I was able to compare the Onkyo to both the Denon and Marantz in my system and found the Onkyo to have a more dynamic sound. Both the Denon and Marantz were smoother sounding with music which I preferred over the Onkyo but for movies the Onkyo made me jump during action scenes. These were long term comparisons of at least a couple of weeks to a month since I owned all 3.

I haven't heard the newer Denon, Marantz or Onkyo offerings so I don' know if that has changed at all.

#25 ·
Just to let you know... Today I think is the last day of the big sale on the 4520 here... So if you want to get the 4520 I would get it now.

#32 ·
Trinnov is amazing, In some ways much better than even Audyssey particularly if its in a oddly shaped room.

#39 ·
I'm with you! Closing your eyes and not being able to point out were the speakers are located is what has me hooked. This effect really benefits those who cannot locate their speakers in the best possible location, if you can set them up for perfect placement then Trinnov would probably lose out to Audyssey. 3D spatial imaging......gotta love it :T

#36 ·
I believe, unless the 2 receivers being compared are overdriven, while they will sound similar, they may not sound identical, due to the interaction of the various components which make up a receiver. Years ago, Julian Hirsch of Stereo Review fame demonstrated that the difference between amps lies in the complex relationship of the different components that are in the chain. Not everyone will hear a difference, and these differences may well be subtle. To make matters worse, unless you're measuring clipping, which can occur much more frequently than many believe, you won't be able to measure this difference.

#40 ·
My last two A/V receivers have been Yamaha. That said, I have been considering Denon for my new receiver. It was been 10 years since I purchased a receiver and it is a real state state for trying to audition A/V equipment. The store I used to frequent went out of business about 5 years ago when the last recession hit. Of the three or four stores still in my community, only one has equipment that you can audition. Two of them only have links to the manufacturers websites. That's something I can do at home. Don't know how I will decide on what to purchase if I can hear the products.

#41 · (Edited)
Don't know how I will decide on what to purchase if I can hear the products.
We purchased our flagship AVR for three reasons.

1. The amplifier section.

2. Switching purposes

3. Audyssey XT32 w/SubEQ HT

We don't use any of the other features. We use Klipsch horn loaded speakers because they're forward and to many, bright. With the occasional spate, we're not into music. We watch broadcast programming and movies. We've found the quality of the output is up to the quality of the sound track as sound quality between sound tracks vary greatly. Some movies are flat. Some are have too much bass and some are absolutely spectacular and the ending of the movie leaves us in stunned silence.

Personally, once a system is dialed in, with popcorn in hand and loved ones all around, few if any are going be in critical listening mode, complaining about too warm or too cold as much of the differences (if any) will be removed by the room correction software EQ'g the sound field flat. Variations in speakers, sound tracks, et cetera will hide much also.

My suggestion, if you're familiar with Yamaha, you'll do best sticking with Yamaha. Once one steps outside their comfort zone, all bets are off and you'll worry or worse, think you made a bad decision. I'm familiar with Marantz and Denon. I went with the Denon AVR4520CI which is suppose to have scaled down, AV8801 Pre-Pro guts inside.

We love it. We're happy with it and as I posted above, sound tracks vary as to sound quality and this "NEEDS" to be taken into consideration. In the end, always go with what makes one feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

#42 ·
Good advice by BeeMan, go with what you know and stick with Yamaha. I don't think you can go wrong with either Denon or Onkyo but there all good and what's right for one person may not be right for another.

#47 ·
When picking between 'flagship' AVRs you really cannot make a mistake unless the model turns out to be a lemon.

I have no plans to replace what I have but when the time comes my next AVR will have a fully functional USB port on the back as well as the front.
Once you get to the top tier it's the little things that separate the products.

#52 ·
Just thought I would update this thread. Basically, I am going put the upgrade on hold. I have decided to turn the current home theater room into a bedroom and one of the bedrooms into the home theater. This will allow me to have a 65" (or even slightly larger) TV and spread out the left/right speakers more for better stereo separation. Only grip is that the new home theater room is almost or basically a square. It is also about the same width but shorter in length compared to the current home theater room. Let's see how it turns out! By the way, I am not going to exchange the two rooms till I am ready to re-build the home theater from the ground-up. I'll be replacing everything so I might as well just leave it as it is till I am ready to start a new home theater from scratch (which will include UHD/4K, new speakers, etc.).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.