Onkyo TX SR805 Review and Official Owners Thread - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 50 Old 11-29-07, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Onkyo TX SR805 review

Thanks, I'm enjoying this.

Day 3, The final installment.
Well, this is where I start enjoying Listening to the audio quality of the receiver.
I decided to focus on the music side of things for this part as I can asume the if it does music well movies will only be better.
I put in a CD I really like Interpretations, Celebrating the music of Earth wind and fire. A compilation of music redone by various artists. Track 3 "September" sounded very clean and the receiver responded well to the more bassy sound as the CD was recorded with lots of low bass thus giving the system a good workout. I first listened to it in direct pure audio mode and although this mode turns off the sub and only outputs to the two front speakers.
The sound was rich and free of any enhancements. "now, I said to myself this must be how it was recorded" I liked it so much that i listened to track 8 "After the love is gone" another nice remake of the original, the vocals were nice and full and the harmony of the background singers blended in well.
Ok, so now that I listened to it in pure mode i wanted to hear the same tracks in Dolby DPL II mode This mode takes the left and right channels and adds the center channel for vocals and to be honest I actually like this mode better. The stereo image was still very present but it added something to the mix that i felt made it even more dynamic. Ok so now lets hear how loud this can go I thought....I turned the volume up to +5db loud enough that I couldn't hear myself talking I would say about 100db and the track "September" came through as clean as I could possibly imagine. It wasn't boomy or too shrill and still the system played without any hesitation or distortion.

Now I got out a favorite CD that I bring to audition any system I listen to when in my favorite Audio store. Flim & the BB's, Big notes the track "Funhouse" is a great test for how well a system handles lows and highs.
There is a part just as the door slams and the train horn is heard that just shakes every part of the house. Again the receiver did this without any troubles and at about the same volume level that I had before. I have never heard my Mission 765 speakers sound so good

One thing I will note is that the Onkyo's sound is defiantly more on the natural side with little to no push on any of the frequencies (I atribut this mostly to the receivers Audyssey MultEQ XT setup) where I found that the Yamaha was warmer sounding so I had to get used to it. I may do some fine tuning of the EQ settings as time goes on but for now I couldn't be happier.

I highly recommend the Onkyo TX SR805 to anyone who is looking for a serious receiver but dosnt want to break the bank because you would have to pay more than twice as much (at least $2000) to get anything comparable.

I might also add that the Onkyo website is a little misleading with regards to displaying OSD over HDMI as it does show all the setup and adjustments menus for the receiver over HDMI but does not show any volume or input labels on screen. Fortunately the display on the Onkyo is large enough and easy to see what you are doing even from a distance of 12 feet.

Added Note:

There have been several reports floating around about the Onkyo's in general getting very hot! This is not the case at all and seems to be an issue of not having the receiver set up properly for driving your speakers. In the Menu there is a setting for what Ohm setting your speakers are and it must be set correctly or damage can result because of excessive heat (driving a set of 6 or 4ohm speakers with this setting in 8ohms is never a good idea). This would be the same for any brand of receiver.

This receiver should NOT be placed inside of a rack unless it is ventilated by a fan as with any receiver in this class.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Last edited by tonyvdb; 11-30-07 at 01:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 50 Old 11-30-07, 08:19 AM
Inthewind
Inactive

I actually ordered mine yesterday! Now I just have to wait until the house is finished!!
post #13 of 50 Old 01-17-08, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Ok, here is a question apparently there is a hidden menu on the Onkyo 805 as well as other models. I cant find any info as to how to get to it as well as what I can do in this menu, Any ideas anyone?

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #14 of 50 Old 01-17-08, 01:33 PM
Senior Shackster

Konky

This review made me smile as normally due to me being a "high ender", I get flamed when I espouse the differences in sound in amplifiers and the like. Well, here's a man that's bought a new AVR and can tell right away that it just simply sounds better.

Thanks for the review and enjoy your new piece. Don't let anybody tell you that it's all in your mind...in reality; it's all in your ears!
Cheers,
Konky.

I get up...I get the paper...I read the obituaries...if I don't see my name; I go ahead and have breakfast! George Burns.
post #15 of 50 Old 01-17-08, 01:56 PM
Senior Shackster
Greg

Nice job Tony, I have been on the fence about this one. Either I get the 805, or maybe the 875, but again I really don't need the extra video processing, or I move into separates. Still undecided. I have had great past experience with Onkyo products, though. I am still using an 12yr-old 2 channel TX-8511. That thing is a workhorse. Enjoy the new gear. I will be keeping an eye on this machine, after I get some new Main speakers, I am upgrading to at least 5.1, more likely 7.1 electronics. Then I will add a center, sub and surrounds.
Cheers
post #16 of 50 Old 01-17-08, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
Funkmonkey wrote: View Post
Enjoy the new gear. I will be keeping an eye on this machine, after I get some new Main speakers, I am upgrading to at least 5.1, more likely 7.1 electronics. Then I will add a center, sub and surrounds.
Cheers
Thanks, We are enjoying the system I have it running 7.1 so its about as good as it gets. My only regret right now is that there is not many good movies available on BluRay or HD DVD right now or for that matter SD DVD So we have not watched much recently. We are not going to replace any of our collection of SD DVDs with High Def. and we have seen almost everything worth seeing in our opinion. Oh well, Music is something i never get tired of and the Onkyo does a great job of that as well.

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #17 of 50 Old 01-17-08, 09:32 PM
Senior Shackster

Brent

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Ok, here is a question apparently there is a hidden menu on the Onkyo 805 as well as other models. I cant find any info as to how to get to it as well as what I can do in this menu, Any ideas anyone?
Tony, check the first post of the 705 FAQ thread over at AVS. Should have instructions for accessing the menu...same steps for 705 and 805, IIRC. It allows you to force 720p upconversion and maybe one or two other things.

-Brent
post #18 of 50 Old 01-17-08, 09:49 PM
Senior Shackster

Brent

Quote:
conchyjoe7 wrote: View Post
This review made me smile as normally due to me being a "high ender", I get flamed when I espouse the differences in sound in amplifiers and the like. Well, here's a man that's bought a new AVR and can tell right away that it just simply sounds better.

Thanks for the review and enjoy your new piece. Don't let anybody tell you that it's all in your mind...in reality; it's all in your ears!
Cheers,
Konky.
Konky, check post #11 a little closer. As one of those objectivists, I have to point out Tony does attribute some/most of the difference to the Audyssey EQ. Once you add any EQ to the equation, all bets are off in comparing the amplifier section or even the sound of the unit as a whole. The outgoing Yamaha 995 didn't even have YPAO, Yamaha's own room correction product.

Also, the 995 gives up 20 pounds to the 805, most likely in the amp section. The 805's amps are THX Ultra certified. Say what you want about THX certification, it still requires the unit's amps to deliver the power as specified and be stable into 4 ohm loads (actually, 3.2 I believe). Depending on how hard Tony's speakers are to drive and how loud he's listening, the 995 could have been on the ragged edge of its power envelope and the 805 still have some reserve left. Cleaner louder usually sounds better, even when levels are matched.

That's not even getting into the shortness of our auditory memory, level matching, etc...

There's no question that amps, or any other component, can be designed to sound different. Better is in the ear of the listener. However, from the measurements I've seen, Yamaha and Onkyo don't appear to be into shaping their amplifier's response functions.

Just another point of view. Peace.

-Brent
post #19 of 50 Old 01-18-08, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Hi Brent, thanks for the note on the hidden menu. I will check it out.

Just for your info The Onkyo even sounds better in Direct mode as it turns off all internal processing and only runs in two ch mode. its a night and day difference between the Yamaha and the Onkyo.

My Mission 765 speakers are 4 ohm and this really made a difference. Although I'm now using my external Samson amp that has 240watts per channel to run my mains.

Here are the spec's on the Mission 765's:

2 way reflex
38-20,000hz
4ohm
sensitivity 93db
Max SPL 113db
200watts
crossover 2.3khz
Efective volume 57 litres

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #20 of 50 Old 02-06-08, 09:09 AM
Senior Shackster

Zip

I'm considering either the 805 or 875 but have heard lots of complaints about the heat they put out.

How hot do they get?

Do you think strapping a 12cm low noise fan on top of the case and plugged into one of the 12v triggers would help alleviate the problem?

Also TonyVdb...I'm in Canada too, how much did you get gouged on duty brining it over the border?