Onkyo TX SR805 Review and Official Owners Thread - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 50 Old 11-28-07, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Onkyo TX SR805 Review and Official Owners Thread

First let me say that I do not have very good typing skills so this many not be a good a read as some of the more well written reviews around but I will do my best.

Well after waiting for almost 3 months for the price to drop My wife and I finally bought the Onkyo TX SR805. I purchased it from eBay and this is the largest single purchase I have ever made using eBay and was really not sure if this was the right way to go. But it was by far the lowest price I could find for a brand new unit (not refurbished).

Day one:
I had the 805 shipped to my work as it was easier to deal with paying the brokerage fee and Taxes that were also due (the total price including all fees and shipping was still far less than what I would have payed locally). Believe it or not the lowest price I could get in Canada was $1,400 and I got it for almost half that.
At 55lbs the Onkyo and box is not easy to move around but I used a cart to move it into my office. The box arrived undamaged and for UPS this was a nice surprise as I have had some bad luck with them recently. The Onkyo was packaged really well, inside I found thick styrofoam (more than normal) surrounding all 4 sides and top and bottom with almost no sides exposed.
Once I got home I unboxed the unit and after unhooking my older Yamaha RX V995 (Onkyo had the forsite to include labels that can be attached to the speaker wires helping with this so I did not have to worry with them getting all mixed up) I placed the Onkyo 805 on our new entertainment credenza that we just bought and the first thing I noticed was its size, "Wow I said under my breath, thats quite the receiver" even powered off it looked like something to be reckoned with.
Even though I hate reading manuals I grabbed the manual for the Onkyo and flipped through it quickly Note: I have been working with audio equipment including live studio recording and front of house mixing for over 20 years so hooking this up was not a challenge. The manual is put together well and its easy to find chapters on specific items. The build quality out of the box is very good Its nice to see a company like Onkyo paying close attention to this as you don't see this often in consumer grade equipment. Another thing is because its made in Japan and not China or Mexico you can bet your bottom $$ that it was assembled well and will last.

The rear panel is one of the nicest I have seen and is organized in such a way that you get a very good idea without even reading the print where the speaker wires and components are attached. My system is wired for 7.1 so I proceeded to hook up the speakers one by one. I then hooked up the Toshiba A2 via HDMI, my outboard Audio control EQs and 4 channel Samson Servo 4120 that I have bridged into 2 ch. to the front pre outs on the Onkyo to power my front Mission 765s. I hooked up my Sanyo Z2 using a HDMI to DVI cable and atached the power cable to the rear of the Onkyo and powered up both the projector and receiver. I must say that the size and color of the display is better than I thought it would be and its easy to read even from a distance although the small symbles are not from farther than about 5 ft.
I flipped down the front trap door and again was impressed with the amount of hidden buttons that were available. I selected HDMI out for the OSD to be displayed on the projector and to my joy the fist time setup screen was seen. I grabbed the remote for the Onkyo that by the way is heavy compared to most I have used but I really like the feel and look of it and the layout of the buttons are well thought through. All the buttons are backlit are not too small and are easy to read in the dark. I did some searching through the menu just to see what it offered and there are a tone of things that a user can adjust.

One feature I really like is the fact that it doesn't have the inputs for HDMI or Component fixed to a specific labeled input of the receiver this means that I can assign the HDMI input 1 to a HDPVR or what ever I so choose. I also like the fact that I can relable the default displays label for example I can change DVD to HD DVD if I so choose.

Ok, now for the setup:
The first thing I started to do was the Audyssey MultEQ XT that the receiver uses. I pluged the supplied miciphone into the front jack and the OSD changed to the Audyssey setup screen. I placed the mic on a small tripod that I have and put it at the first listening position and selected "Ok" in the menu. It then showed a nice screen with 7 speakers and sub graphic and it proceeded to send a strange test tone (more of a WHOOP sound) to each speaker. This is a slightly time consuming process as it takes about 20 seconds for each speaker and you have to do this for each listening position (up to 8 and no less than 6) another thing is, you need to do this in complete silence to get a proper reading and at our house thats almost impossible as we have 5 girls aged 1 to 14 so I had to stop at this point until I have about 30 min of time where I can do this uninterrupted.

I will continue this review in the next day or so but though I would start now already.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Last edited by tonyvdb; 11-28-07 at 10:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 11-28-07, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Onkyo TX SR805 review

Day 2:
Well I had some time last night after the girls went to bed to set up the MultEQ XT and after all was done (I sampled 6 listening positions) I played a CD through the system (Lee Ritenour, Smoke in mirrors). The first thing I noticed was that the sound was much crisper with the Onkyo and the dynamics seemed to be fuller than my older Yamaha. The track Smoke in mirrors was full and the bass came through nice and clean and i heard things that I had not in previous listening sessions with this CD.

I then went int the setup menu and looked at the settings that it picked and was actually surprise as it seemed to measure distances from the listening positions fairly accurately (within half a foot) I love the fact that I can override the settings if I choose and it also sends pink noise out through each channel so I can balance them manually if I choose. The one other nice option that I found is that all 7 channels each have independent bass and treble controls.

I briefly had a chance to play part of a movie I grabbed Shriek the third HD DVD and played the opening 10 min of the movie. The video through the Onkyo is nothing but fantastic, I was actually impressed as it was a noticeable improvement over sending component directly from the Toshiba A2 to the projector. The image was sharp and clean and it did not have any noticeable rough edges sometimes seen with the Faroudja chip and the audio was splendid. I selected THX surround EX and the audio filled the room with a clarity that I have not heard before in my system the extra rear surrounds helped to fill the room and I felt like I was right there.

I will continue this review sometime tomorrow after I have some time to listen to more CDs and DVDs.

See below for part 3

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

Last edited by tonyvdb; 11-29-07 at 11:00 PM.
post #3 of 50 Old 11-28-07, 10:48 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Congrats on the new toy...

Looking forward to the full review.

post #4 of 50 Old 11-28-07, 11:23 AM
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Excellent beginning and I can't wait for the final conclusions -- also great timing as I'm helping a friend put together a new system and this the precise receiver I was thinking would work best.

JCD
post #5 of 50 Old 11-28-07, 12:18 PM
Inthewind
Inactive

This is also the same model I've been looking at...
post #6 of 50 Old 11-28-07, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Thanks guys, I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to do this. I'm glad I did as it seems this will help allot of people make a choice.

I was considering going with the 875 but at $450 more I just couldn't justify it just to get the Rayon HQV chip although better than the Faroudja FL2300 video processing chip I just couldn't do it and thats really the only big advantage it has over the 805.

It even uses the newest and best BurrBrown 24bit/192kHz DACs on
all 7 channels and that cant be beat!

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #7 of 50 Old 11-29-07, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Day 2 test results posted above. More to come. See below for part 3

Home theater:

Living room system:

Last edited by tonyvdb; 11-29-07 at 11:00 PM.
post #8 of 50 Old 11-29-07, 12:55 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
The first thing I noticed was that the sound was much crisper than with the Yamaha and the dynamics seemed to be fuller.
Did you mean "Yamaha" or "Onkyo" above...
post #9 of 50 Old 11-29-07, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Opps I will have to edit that.

The Onkyo sounded much cleaner than the Yamaha that I had. I think this is in part to the BurrBrown DAs that it uses and also the Push-Pull configuration of the Amplifier section that is only available in the 805 and 875.

Home theater:

Living room system:

Last edited by tonyvdb; 11-29-07 at 01:06 PM.
post #10 of 50 Old 11-29-07, 05:21 PM

Nice job on the review Tony.......
Glad your enjoying it.....
When I got my Onkyo 604 they announced the new line of Onkyo's 3 weeks later............GRRRRRRRRRRRRR LOL
Enjoy it buddy it sounds like a great receiver.