Behringer ADA8000 to convert Marantz 7007 RCA unbalanced to XLR Balanced for QSC RMX 850. - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 30 Old 08-15-14, 03:15 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: Behringer ADA8000 to convert Marantz 7007 RCA unbalanced to XLR Balanced for QSC RMX 850.

Quote:
AutoDelphi wrote: View Post
What effect does input impedance play when connecting audio signals? The RMX850 has an imput impedance of 10k ohms unbalanced and 20k ohms balanced.

How will this affect the sound/signal from my Marantz to the pro amp?
As far as I know it’s a non-issue; all modern audio electronics are compatible with each other, even when mixing consumer and pro gear. I can’t say I’ve ever heard of anyone having a problem with input/output impedances, and I’ve been trolling various home theater forums for 15 years, and reading audio enthusiast publications even longer.

Quote:
The spec sheet for the 7007 says the Digital D/A output is 2V @ 0dB playback. Is Marantz referring to the voltage output of the pre amp?
Can’t say that I’ve ever heard of that particular specification. I’d strongly recommend doing the voltage-output test I suggested in my previous post to see what you’re really getting from the 7007’s pre amp outs.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 08-15-14, 05:44 PM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

Re: Behringer ADA8000 to convert Marantz 7007 RCA unbalanced to XLR Balanced for QSC RMX 850.

I have a Marantz 6008 driving an Emotiva XPA 3 .. Its an Excellent combo
post #13 of 30 Old 08-15-14, 06:29 PM
Senior Shackster

waycooljr

I have a QSC RMX 2450 and it is dead quiet. If you are clean at your sources that is the question . If you use cheap gear period, don't expect to get audiophile results. The best path to take is to sell what you have, and purchase a Marantz 8003, or a 7005 that already have XLR outputs to strait up jack from pre pro to your pro audio amps. That is your best bet, nice and clean. There can be additional distortion and noise introduced into your setup with these cheapie converters. There is a good one , but it is cheaper and better to go the route above stated! Hope this helps you! Good luck!

post #14 of 30 Old 08-15-14, 07:01 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Keep in mind that most home audio signal sources are not balanced, which means the pre-amp has to convert everything to balanced if it has balanced outputs. IOW, more “stuff” in the signal chain, just as if an outboard converter device were used.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #15 of 30 Old 08-15-14, 07:23 PM
Senior Shackster

waycooljr

Has anyone checked if it is or is not? I wouldn't believe that Marantz would do it in the cheapie fashion. Either way, it is clean, plenty of power , good headroom, not lacking for power in the pro amps. Thats kind of like comparing bargain basement to some good quality gear. I personally wouldn't touch those cheap converters like Sampson s convert or art clean box for main channels. Sure they are sufficient for squeezing some serious juice to a subwoofer, but no sir, not to my mains! It always comes out to this same debate. It would be nice if someone could really clear up what manufactures and what models of pre pros are truly balenced!
post #16 of 30 Old 08-15-14, 07:27 PM
Senior Shackster

waycooljr

Besides signal is what it is. When it hits the Marantz, or Anthem, krell etc. I would imagine that everything that goes thru its processors and out to the amps is nothing but purity in sound. Otherwise no one would even think of ponying up that much cash for a second rate central point of sound!
post #17 of 30 Old 08-15-14, 07:30 PM
Senior Shackster

waycooljr

If you really want a converter that is clean, Apex makes one with eight channels. It costs $850, and is as clean as it comes! .001 THD!!!
post #18 of 30 Old 08-15-14, 07:34 PM
Senior Shackster

waycooljr

I went to Guitar Center looking at Behringer stuff, the Employees there did not think to highly of that brand of gear. All in all, you usually get what you pay for. I tried that route before, never again!
post #19 of 30 Old 08-15-14, 07:56 PM
Senior Shackster

waycooljr

About a year ago, I did an experiment. I was using the Emotiva XPA 5 and I thought " I wonder what it would be like to hook up my Integra pre pro directly using XLR cables, to my QSC Amp to run my mains with?" So thats exactly what I did. SWEETNESS!!!!!! Wow! Now that was some good quality sounding stuff ! I tried radio, cd, then bluray movies. I was very impressed! It is like they woke up sonically. Clear as a bell, imaging was more defined, and yes the same listening level. Either way I know what I would do... The choice is yours. Good luck in your endeavor of sound, and good day !
post #20 of 30 Old 08-16-14, 01:04 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Quote:
waculjr.903 wrote: View Post
Has anyone checked if it is or is not? I wouldn't believe that Marantz would do it in the cheapie fashion.
Not saying the conversion isn’t be done well in the receivers, just sayin’ it’s more stuff in the signal chain. That kind of stuff bothers some people – me, not so much.

I’ve heard people report that the S-Convert was actually a pretty decent piece of gear. Assuming a converter/booster’s TDH is low and response is linear, the main issue is really the signal boosting itself. That’s where the noise comes from (at least in the main channels).

Quote:
It would be nice if someone could really clear up what manufactures and what models of pre pros are truly balenced!
You bring up another good point that I almost mentioned in my previous post: From what I understand, some consumer pre amps with balanced outputs aren’t truly balanced, at least not by pro-audio standards. Don’t recall what the exact issue with them is, though…

Quote:
waculjr.903 wrote: View Post
If you really want a converter that is clean, Apex makes one with eight channels. It costs $850, and is as clean as it comes! .001 THD!!!
A cheaper way to convert the signal is to use something like an outboard equalizer, crossover, etc. Any piece of equipment like that (with balanced ins and outs) will deliver a balanced output with an unbalanced input.

Regards,
Wayne

|