Yamaha RX-V1800 initial review - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 14 Old 02-08-08, 10:37 AM
Tpratt23
Inactive

Wink Yamaha RX-V1800 initial review

Im new this forum but Ive been researching receivers on line now for a while. There are a lot of options out there in the A/V receiver market. I had been looking at the main brands in the $1000-$1300 retail price range. Onkyo, Denon, Sony, and Yamaha are the ones I had been lookng at. I had narrowed it down to the Sony STR-DA4300ES & the Yamaha 1800. ( I didnt need the options offered on the Yamaha 3800 over the 1800)

Ive had the Sony STR-DA4ES for a couple years now an was really happy with it, which is one reason I was looking hard at the new Sony. I wanted the new HDMI inputs and upconversion options. I had read many reviews on both the Yamaha and Sony receivers and honestly didnt think I would be able to tell a difference in sound quality. I had read a couple reviews saying that Yamaha had better sound and 1 review that the Sony was more detailed.

I just got my little Yammy yesterday and was excited that the UPS guy didnt drop it and I anxiously hooked it up. I hooked up my Infinity Overture 3s and sub and sat down to listen to a CD. I couldnt believe the difference in sound quality over my old Sony. The Sony was still very good and has a different sound to it. The Yahama just seems to be clear and detailed in comparison while the Sony seems to cover up a lot of details, good and bad.

The Yamaha also has an option to use "Presence" speakers which are an alternative to the rear speakers in a 7.1. This option is good for small rooms or if you want to "raise" the dialogue onto the screen if your speakers are lower. Both Yamaha and Sony have several different sound fields, but I think the Yamaha's fields are better.

I'm not sure if the new Sony 4300ES has a different sound than my 4ES, and the Sony probably does have better video circuitry than the Yamaha, but I am very happy with the first impressions of my YammaHammer.

I hope this helps someone in the market for a new receiever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-08-08, 10:53 AM
Banned!

Re: Yamaha RX-V1800 initial review

Thanks for the initial impressions, Troy. As time goes on and you learn the little quirks, good and bad, please keep us filled in.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-08-08, 05:32 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

I'm also a Yammy owner and out of the box it sounded very good..But after fiddling with DSP and all the other settings over a period of months of trying things, it sounds even better..

Have fun with it..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #4 of 14 Old 02-08-08, 11:20 PM
Elite Shackster

thxgoon

Congrats on the receiver! You may try the presence speakers just for fun and see if you like it. They are a nice bonus with Yamaha IMO as they are calibrated for their DSP's. I really enjoyed a setup like this for a while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #5 of 14 Old 04-13-13, 10:23 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Ressurecting an old thread but I'm really digging into this receiver's capabilities with some new found tools via the rs232 port. I will be able to readjust the results of YPAO as well as control the PC via my PC in either real time (make changes on the fly or asynchronous mode (make all changes at once and download)
post #6 of 14 Old 04-13-13, 10:53 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
Interesting!
The receiver manage software says RX-V2700 but this just for display purposes. I have the correct version. This allows the control.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha RX-V1800 initial review-http-www.yamahapab.com-assets-downloads-receivermanager_manual_rx-v2700.pdf-secured-adobe-.jpg  

post #7 of 14 Old 04-13-13, 10:56 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Thats very cool! I wish I could get into the guts of Trinnov on my 972 like that.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #8 of 14 Old 04-13-13, 11:01 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
Interesting!
Here's the screen shot of PQ edit which allows the editing of the YPAO's results
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha RX-V1800 initial review-pqedit.jpg  

post #9 of 14 Old 04-14-13, 08:58 PM
Shackster

Will this work with other yamaha avr's?
post #10 of 14 Old 04-15-13, 12:10 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
JDEaston wrote: View Post
Will this work with other yamaha avr's?
As long as they have an RS232 port in the back, then I would think yes.