Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Home Theater Receivers | Processors | Amps (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-receivers-processors-amps/)
-   -   Are there any Pioneer receiver owners here? (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-receivers-processors-amps/10145-there-any-pioneer-receiver-owners-here.html)

hyghwayman 03-21-08 06:57 AM

Are there any Pioneer receiver owners here?

I am a proud owner (2 yrs.) of the VSX-816k, it's the first receiver I've owned and love it. I'm starting to get the upgrade itch:help: and would like to here from other Pio owners. I have a few questions if you don't mind and feel free to add more info.

1. What model do you have?

2. What are your likes/dis-likes of your receiver?

3. How many Pio receivers have you owned and have you ever owned different brands before going to Pioneer?

Thanks to all that reply,
hyghwayman

P.S. Here is a link to a review I did on the VSX-816k over at Epinions.com

tcarcio 03-21-08 02:26 PM

Re: Are there any Pioneer receiver owners here?

Hi Don, I have the Elite VSX-81TXV and I love it. I am not an expert by any stretch but when I decided to move into something more up to date I looked at alot of different recievers in my price range of 6 to 8 hundred. I have never owned a Pioneer reciever before but I have owned many products made by them such as car audio and home cd players and was never dissapointed. I auditioned Sony,Onkyo,and a few more in that price range and I just liked the sound I got from the Pioneer and also I thought build quality was excellent. The connectivity is very good and this model had everything I was looking for. I use it in my HTR and have it set up as a 7.1 system with a set of Cambridge Soundworks Towers, 4 dipole,bipole,monopole surrounds also by CS and a VR-12 Boston acoustics center. I love that you can store up to 6 different audio settings so I have choices when I am changing from music to movies. I have never had to push the reciever because it has plenty of head room and the auto cal works well, although I do my share of tweeking. I read alot of reviews on the Elite recievers and they do review well and they look great too. I have owned a few different components such as Sherwood Newcastle and a few others and they were all very good but for the money I think the Elite's are a good choice for anyone that can't spend thousands of dollars on high end gear. The only thing I regret is that it is only HDMI version 1.2 so I have to use my preouts to get lossless audio from my HD DVD player instead of it just being transmitted through the HDMI cable but that will come with my next reciever and I really don't see that happening too soon as I am very happy with my set up for now. I wouldn't hesitate to recomend Pioneer to anyone.:yay:

eugovector 03-22-08 08:19 AM

I own a VSX-850s. Got it for a really decent price, so I have no complaints. Sounds great, plenty of headroom. I'll be upgrading in the future only for next-gen audio support, and better AV switching.

hyghwayman 03-25-08 09:35 AM

Thanks tcarcio and eugovector for replying, I find it funny only two members here have Pio receivers :dunno:.

OvalNut 03-25-08 09:49 AM

I use a Pioneer VSX-1015. Fantastic reciever though without HDMI capability. The surround processing is superb and the sound is neutral, clean and muscular.

I had a Denon AVR-1804 before this, and the Pioneer is much, much better. The Denon sounded thin in comparison.

Tim
:drive:

tonyvdb 03-25-08 10:25 AM

Pioneer is one of those companies that simply doesn't advertise there receivers well. When most people here the name Pioneer they think car audio and bypass them when looking for a receiver or other home audio/video component.
I myself think they make several great Displays and Receivers.

hyghwayman 03-26-08 06:54 AM

Quote:

tonyvdb wrote: (Post 89430)
Pioneer is one of those companies that simply doesn't advertise there receivers well. When most people here the name Pioneer they think car audio and bypass them when looking for a receiver or other home audio/video component.
I myself think they make several great Displays and Receivers.

When I went looking for my 1st receiver I had never heard of Denon or Onkyo but like you said Pioneer was a name I was aware of. Features and price came into play as well as reviews. I did listen to a few other receivers before buying, my wife even had through her work a large discount on another brand that featured HDMI capability, but it was only 1.1v and didn't offer as many connectivity options as other receivers in the same price range before and/or after the discount. So in the end I went with my gut and bought the Pioneer VSX-816k receiver, after about 2yrs I'm still very pleased with the power and sound I'm getting from it:clap:. I just hope I can say the same thing after I replace my whimpy 40w HTiB speakers with the SBS-01 package from SVSound.

hyghwayman

tcarcio 03-26-08 08:22 AM

Do any of you use the MCACC auto cal that these recievers have and if so has anyone compared the way it works compared to a more precise calibration. I know some of you guy's here do your own so I was wondering how it matches up?

OvalNut 03-26-08 10:54 AM

I do use the MCACC, and the results are great. On the VSX-1015 at least, MCACC does not do the subwoofer frequencies, so it works well to not have any concflicts with me using the FBQ2496 on the subwoofer channel.

Tim
:drive:

hyghwayman 03-27-08 05:24 AM

I too used the MCACC to set up the speakers and it worked ok for me, I did have to fine tune the speaker distance though. I don't have an SPL meter yet but will be getting one with my SBS-01 speakers.

hyghwayman