drfs' theatre/studio - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 14 Old 12-14-06, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
drf
drf

drfs' theatre/studio

my home theatre which is going to double as a recording studio (although somewhat basic).
Has taken over a year to get to this stage as I am doing it all on a shoestring budget.

This room has been specifically built for the purpose from the groundup. The walls are all double braced and insulated to provide a certain sound insulation.

screen wall:

bench with equipment rack and overhead cupboards
all speaker cabling terminates in the rack and is wired for 4 mains, sub, centre, left/right surround and left/right rear (is 10 channels enough?):

ceiling with appropriate bits for projector (s-vid, component and vga) I intend running it all from a dedicated pc so I haven't done HDMI yet.

and windows to comply with council regulations but they will be boarded over as soon as i get the final sinpection .

Nearly all the electronics I am designing or building myself so this will be avery slow build up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-14-06, 01:04 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: drfs' theatre/studio

So council requires you have windows?

Is this an add-on to your home?
post #3 of 14 Old 12-14-06, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
drf
drf

yes, I have built on extra rooms. Council requires that every room have at minimum 10% of its floor space as windows/skylights.

post #4 of 14 Old 12-15-06, 03:17 AM
Senior Shackster

Steve

Send a message via Skype™ to Steve Williamson

[QUOTE=drf;19440] (is 10 channels enough?):

As sonny helped me out, have you allowed for multiple sub locations? two front and at least one rear.

ceiling with appropriate bits for projector (s-vid, component and vga) I intend running it all from a dedicated pc so I haven't done HDMI yet.

Why no HDMI, I run DVI to HDMI converter, then HDMI to projector. Far out classes VGA for output.

I wish you all the best on your adventure
post #5 of 14 Old 12-15-06, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
drf
drf

Because this room will double as a studio/listening room I have allowed for the possibility of 2 subs as part of the 4 mains and have put the centre channel to one side and the sub to the other. so I can effectively plug a single sub in at either side and use the other for the centre channel.

It would appear I haven't thought far enought ahead as I don't currently have a card with DVI so I didn't even consider it as a possibility in the near future . fortunatley As I built the walls I left enought room in the wiring cutouts to easily pull more cable through without having to re-plaster, I can easily add HDMI and extra audio channels .

Quote:
I wish you all the best on your adventure
Thanks
post #6 of 14 Old 12-26-06, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
drf
drf

update:

finally got around to taking some recent photos'.

Here it is with carpet:

lookng back at the rack and overhead cupboards, I was going to have curtain under the bench but I think I will put doors there also.

You'll have to excuse the mess, The carpet was strung up over the windows tempo so as to block out the light while we had friends stay and use it as a nursery .
post #7 of 14 Old 12-28-06, 12:56 PM
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Looking good!

What do you have planned for the near future?
And do you have a sketch of what you want the final product to look like?

JCD
post #8 of 14 Old 12-30-06, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
drf
drf

next I am going to concentrate on my speakes and amps, Once i have them finished I can start testing the room for accoustic treatment which will dictate how it looks in the end. I am not verygood with software so i have no real sketches or designs. I am guestimating that 60% of the walls will be curtain and the rest will be accoustic panels/traps and or something else? . because I intend to do some recording I want the room to tend on the dead side.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-01-08, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
drf
drf

Wow, a year and 1/2 has passed and I have done very little to this room . fortunately I got started recently on finishing some amps and am nowtrying to organise the mess into a workable setup. As you can see from the photos, this room is becoming more of a theatre and less of a studio. I hope to get the amps sorted over the next few weeks so I can concentrate on finishing the room treatements and furnishings before the end of the year. Some photos of the mess as it currently is:

drfs' theatre/studio-mess1.jpg

drfs' theatre/studio-mess2.jpg

drfs' theatre/studio-mess3.jpg

drfs' theatre/studio-mess4.jpg
post #10 of 14 Old 08-01-08, 08:41 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Some peoples mess is other peoples fun. Is that a Pioneer RG-2 in the bottom pic?

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.