Fourth and Final - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

10Likes

post #31 of 46 Old 10-22-16, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Audioguy

Re: Fourth and Final

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
Ooo... pics?
Not much to see:

Building the "cages" for the subs.

Subs in their "cages":

"Cages" covered up:
Todd Anderson and ellisr63 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 10-25-16, 09:15 AM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Super clean look!
post #33 of 46 Old 10-25-16, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Audioguy

Thank you. That was my intention to make it look a bit less like a science project !

post #34 of 46 Old 10-25-16, 05:34 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Nice Job!

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #35 of 46 Old 10-25-16, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Audioguy

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
Nice Job!
Thank you. The "cosmetic" projects never seem to end. Next up is to recover my ceiling cloud acoustic panels in black GOM (currently gray) and move them forward a tad (as I have moved my speakers previously) --- and add the 4th one I removed when installing my Atmos speakers. Further downstream is to cover the 4 columns (which contain the side and rear surrounds) with gray GOM DIY acoustic panels. Since the two side surrounds are directly across from one another, and are incased in these solid columns, it is very easy to see the opposite wall reflection when looking at an impulse response. So the covering of the columns is for acoustic and cosmetic reasons (as is the color change and movement of the ceiling cloud.)

After that, I may add some black material (GOM or black velvet) to the side walls in at least the front half of the room - or not !!

And some time during all of this, I plan to actually use the theater for its primary purpose - watching movies and college football. It, on occasion, becomes easy to confuse the journey with the destination - at least for me.

post #36 of 46 Old 10-25-16, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Audioguy

Lots of equipment changes since my original post. Here is the most recent list:

VIDEO EQUIPMENT: Sony 600ES OR JVC RS500 w/ Powered Panamorph Anamorphic Lens and sled; Screen Masking System by Carada; Seymour Acoustically Transparent 2:35 120 x 51 inch screen (1.0 Gain - XD Material);

SPEAKERS: LCR: Triad Platinum LCR's; SUBS: 4 Seaton F18 subs (1 Master and 3 Slaves driven by 4000 watt amp -- 2 in each of the front two corners) and (2) Seaton SubMersives (Master/Slave with 4000 Watt Amp) located on the rear wall; Surrounds: Triad Silver In-Room Monitors; (4) Tannoy Di6 DC heights (Atmos/Auro/DTS:X)

ELECTRONICS: Datasat RS20i Surround Processor; APS 2000 Power Conditioner; Emotive XPA-5 driving the 4 ceiling speakers; d-sonic 7 channel amp (800 x 3 and 400 x 4)

SOURCES: Music Vault Diamond Music Server (J River and J Remote for controlling my music server); Kaleidescape Alto Movie Player; DirecTV 4K DVR; Apple TV; Amazon Fire Stick

ROOM STUFF: Theater chairs by Berkline; Room design and all acoustic treatment by AcousticSolutions, LLC & GIK.

MISCELLANEOUS EQUIPMENT: BlueJeans Cables (XLR and Single Ended), HDMI and Speaker Wire; Middle Atlantic Equipment Rack; Control4 System Controller
Todd Anderson and thrillcat like this.

Last edited by Audioguy; 10-26-16 at 08:45 AM.
post #37 of 46 Old 10-26-16, 05:28 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
Audioguy wrote: View Post

After that, I may add some black material (GOM or black velvet) to the side walls in at least the front half of the room - or not !!
I was thinking of doing the the same thing myself..I believe that it improves the perceived contrast...
If you do it I would be interested to hear what you think of it..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

post #38 of 46 Old 10-27-16, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Audioguy

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
I was thinking of doing the the same thing myself..I believe that it improves the perceived contrast...
If you do it I would be interested to hear what you think of it..
The dealer I use has a room they label "The Black Hole", COMPLETELY covered in very black material. The "perceived" contrast is off the charts!
post #39 of 46 Old 10-27-16, 10:11 AM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
Audioguy wrote: View Post
The dealer I use has a room they label "The Black Hole", COMPLETELY covered in very black material. The "perceived" contrast is off the charts!
I painted the front half of my theater room with Benjamin Moore's Super Flat black paint. It completely soaks up light... that's an option to be considered that's not material (just a word to the wise: keeping it streak free while painting isn't easy. It also wasn't easy to find (the BM dealer near me only had 2 gallons on hand... I was told folks rarely ask for it).

Love the gear list, by the way.
post #40 of 46 Old 10-27-16, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Audioguy

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
I painted the front half of my theater room with Benjamin Moore's Super Flat black paint. It completely soaks up light... that's an option to be considered that's not material (just a word to the wise: keeping it streak free while painting isn't easy. It also wasn't easy to find (the BM dealer near me only had 2 gallons on hand... I was told folks rarely ask for it).

Love the gear list, by the way.
I have some strengths but painting is not one of them. It takes me longer to mask than it does to paint, and then it still doesn't look very good. The cloth approach will be more expensive (and a lot more effort), but it will provide more uniformity to the overall "feel" of the theater, given the way I plan to do it.

And thanks on the gear list comment. Not a lot of changes planned BUT, I do plan to replace my 4 ceiling speakers one Triad finally releases their just announced Atmos speakers. I will eventually get a 4K source [e.g. new Oppo or maybe the Kaleidescape Strato] and also [maybe] the Kaleidescape DV700.