My Butt is Sick & Tired!! - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

8Likes

post #1 of 25 Old 02-21-17, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System
My Butt is Sick & Tired!!

That's it. No more sitting on the floor when a guest or wife watches movies with me. Time to replace the oversize, overstuffed chair in my HT with dual seating! I've been shopping around and found that there are two classes of chairs (to the best of my knowledge): your standard HT seats one one hand, and your basic recliner with cupholder and storage bin on the other.

What I'd like to know is, "What's the difference?" The HT seats I've come across have large rectangular arms and cost a small fortune (upwards of $1k). Pseudo-HT, side-by-side recliners can be had in the $500 to $700 range. Are the bona-fide HT seats that much more comfortable, or are they just made better to withstand a lot of wear and tear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-21-17, 07:10 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System
Re: My Butt is Sick & Tired!!

I am shrugging right now, I am not sure if you can see me do that though.

I think it is kind of important in home theater seating to make sure the back of the chain is a tad lower than your ears so you can clearly hear the back and side surrounds. Just sayin..

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #3 of 25 Old 02-21-17, 07:31 PM

Ron

My System

I bought 4 seats like these for my HT... https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/fud/5991016284.html

I found them on CL, then went to a local store, and they matched the price.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..

post #4 of 25 Old 02-22-17, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Quote:
Savjac wrote: View Post
I think it is kind of important in home theater seating to make sure the back of the chain is a tad lower than your ears so you can clearly hear the back and side surrounds.
Sound advice (heh-heh)! I've heard of placing a blanket between your head and seat to help kill reflections.
  • Bad News: My wife needs full neck support.
  • Good News: My AVR has Dirac Live to help correct reflections.

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
I found them on CL, then went to a local store, and they matched the price.
Now that's a great store with great service!

I've done a lot more research since the original post, and think I should have done more research before asking the question. There's no real distinction between HT recliners and HT seats except in terms of quality, features, and price. After visiting some local retailers to test-drive their inventory, I'm sorry to say I'm not impressed. Call it sticker-shock if you will, as it's been over 10 years since I've bought any furniture. But my goodness, some of these $1k seats have imprecise reclining mechanisms and most I've tried had very poor lumbar support.
Maybe it's my hump. Thanks for listening.

I found out the cheaper seats are upholstered in cloth, have no creature-features, and are generally unattractive. No big surprise there. But when I found expensive seats with roughly the same profile, I had to ask myself again: "Why the difference?" Digging a little deeper told the full story. More money will sometimes get you detachable backrests making for easier installation. More money will sometimes get you wall-hugging designs. More money will sometimes get you better quality backed by generously long warranties on the order of 5 years to life. That sounds like a prison sentence and, in a sense, it is. Trying to save a little is okay as long as comfort isn't sacrificed, I always say! And I think most people who shell out that kind of dough expect their seats to last a long, long time. I certainly do.

So here are a couple of choices I labored over. Please feel free to rip into them. I know that you know that seating can be highly subjective, but anything you may have to add would be highly appreciated.

This cheaper one comes highly rated by a wide consumer cross-section:
Name:  seat 4.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  21.8 KB

And this more expensive one is offered by a very reputable company:
My Butt is Sick & Tired!!-seat-5.jpg
ellisr63 likes this.

post #5 of 25 Old 02-22-17, 11:29 AM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
This is what we went with. I like the fact that electrical plugins are included when the middle is flipped down. It also has two USB plugins. https://m.nfm.com/DetailsPage.aspx?productid=39980248
post #6 of 25 Old 02-22-17, 12:08 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Lou. It's extortion. Lol! Nothing wrong with a pair of nice recliners.(theater seats are awesome too). My problem in that size room is making sure I could fit 3 across, cause no way am I giving up front and center. I'll slide over on the couch, but when it counts,nope. Mine. Minasaurous rex.
ellisr63 and Lumen like this.
post #7 of 25 Old 02-22-17, 12:11 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
Lou. It's extortion. Lol! Nothing wrong with a pair of nice recliners.(theater seats are awesome too). My problem in that size room is making sure I could fit 3 across, cause no way am I giving up front and center. I'll slide over on the couch, but when it counts,nope. Mine. Minasaurous rex.
Hahaha that's awesome!
post #8 of 25 Old 02-22-17, 01:15 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Every so often Costco has some nice home theater seating. Have you been there yet?

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #9 of 25 Old 02-22-17, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
Absolutely (Adrian)! I just found the Berkline 13175 in a love seat configuration (center armrest removed) and thought I could just calibrate for, and sit in, the center. But from the looks of it, the center is on top of a ridge formed by the two seat cushions. Comfy? Probably not so much. So now I'm leaning toward separate chairs. The plan is to plop mine down in the sweet spot, and skew the other off-center.

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Every so often Costco has some nice home theater seating. Have you been there yet?
Not yet, but it's definitely worth a trip. If you're like me then you like to know your options to ward off buyer's remorse!

post #10 of 25 Old 02-22-17, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Quote:
JBrax wrote: View Post
This is what we went with. I like the fact that electrical plugins are included when the middle is flipped down. It also has two USB plugins. https://m.nfm.com/DetailsPage.aspx?productid=39980248
Showoff