New multi zone system with in ceiling speakers... help! - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 34 Old 04-06-15, 11:09 PM
Shackster
Brian Garcelon

Re: New multi zone system with in ceiling speakers... help!

AH, an NR 807, what a great Idea, I should have checked my own Bio...Thanks. As for my speakers; I bought my JBL's in 1974. 8" extended range woofer/mid and a 075 (Bullet) Tweeter. They were bought individually and from the "Professional Catalogue". not sure if Harmon has them any more, I know the 075 are no longer made... a real shame as these things go up to 45K. I measured 12K to 40K within about 2db. I've seen them on EBay for &150.00 (I think I paid $75.00 ea. originally)
The 8" handles bass so well that my Polk Audio 10" Powered sub seems nearly redundant for music but nice for Theatre.(Thinking about getting a "Butt Kicker" for the LFE to attach to my couch !). I built the Cabs. The crossover is also JBL stock, I think... I'll look for the model ##'s if your interested. I don't know your musical taste, mine is quite varied but I prefer a clear, airy and present top end rather then the "Boomy" bass most people seem to enjoy today. My JBL's provide solid, thumpy bass without the "BOOM". My friend stored my system in his warehouse for several years while I was "absent from audio". He is a FOH engineer for touring music groups. One of his clients (Neil Young) wanted a concert sound system that could handle 35-40Khz (Young is somewhat of an audiophile), so my friend "borrowed" my 075's and connected them to his massive FOH system. CSNY were happy, my friend was happy but when he put them back in my cabs, they didn't work...he thought he blew the voice coil. I took a look and I had done some "creative wiring" inside the cab so I could bi-amp, change phase etc. He just simply wired them wrong and the worked great after we reconnected them properly. Like all of us, I guess, we're always looking for the newest and best of everything. IF I get new speakers - (Paradigms ?) I would NEVER give up my JBL's...just to hard to beat by old OR modern standards, I'm an old analogue guy and I'm still learning however.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 04-12-15, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thank you guys, I didn't even know AT screens existed, off to shop now!
post #33 of 34 Old 04-12-15, 09:07 AM
Senior Shackster

David S.

My System

Wow. 40 yo speakers that still hold up. Beats my 20somethings...!

“Say, was you ever bit by a dead bee?”
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550.

post #34 of 34 Old 04-12-15, 11:49 AM
Shackster
Brian Garcelon

Yes AT screens are great for your purposes. As far as amps and receiver go, look into "Emotiva" and Marantz too.

Brian