HT Project for my pre-wired house (on a depressing budget) - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 13 Old 09-08-15, 09:35 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: HT Project for my pre-wired house (on a depressing budget)

I was in the same situation 4 years ago... the guys are right about small speakers not being capable to fill a room with distorting. Nevertheless, not being capable to withstand the sound from the TV, I went with paradigm MilleniaOne (about 500$). Its cast enclosure saves roughly 1in in width and the engineer/marketing were wise enough to limit its extension to roughly 100Hz to sell a matching expensive compact sub. This is key as it allows to keep decent efficiency and limit cone excursion (distortion). It sounds better than most speaker of its size and can play the vocal range relatively clean. Apart from the 1st set of speakers I ever purchased, it is the only non-DIY speaker that entered our house as I simply couldn't compete with those at this size (at least I thought at this time). To me it is still a nonsense to try to make such speakers of this quality but I'm happy it existed. I'm powering them with old Onkyo 605 which I got used for 100$. And, yes, the speakers are white
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 Old 09-09-15, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
DKaz

Wow. You guys are true audiophiles and I appreciate your perspective--but I really wasn't kidding about the dimensions of the speakers. The woofers alone on most of the suggestions wouldn't fit in the spot where the wiring is. If I had more time, I'd send a picture, but I have 5.5" in a corner next to a plantation shutter on both sides of the room for the rear speaks (which means they cannot be more than 5" across because the shutters have to open). This is a real physical limitation. And while I have a slightly larger spot in the front of the room for the satellites, it's not much larger. As I looked at it last night, it occurred to me that the space where we would watch movies, etc., is actually much smaller than the entire great room/kitchen described earlier, and the speakers are focused on that area, really an 18X14 area which seems smaller because the furniture is clustered in that area for TV/movies, Steeler championship games, etc.

I may have done a disservice with my description. The space is a large rectangle, but the sitting area really takes up an irregular 12x12-ish corner of it dominated by a large armoire sitting between the back speakers. The speaker mounts--front and back about 7 ft up--and the spot for the sub are all within this area. The rest of the rectangle is the kitchen/dining area of the great room off to one side. So, it's a "nook" in one end of the great room where the music/movies are focused.

I think that makes this application more feasible, unless the HK's are complete garbage, but I'm still open to thoughts--need to look up the dimensions of the white speaks mentioned above--also still in the market for suggestions for a mid-range AVR with passable sound optimization that will run two zones and a method for splitting the patio/front room/master into a different zone/zones. (if I'm saying this right)

Thanks again, all--I appreciate your wisdom and patience.

Semper Fi, DK
post #13 of 13 Old 09-09-15, 11:27 AM

Ron

My System

Quote:
DKaz wrote: View Post
Wow. You guys are true audiophiles and I appreciate your perspective--but I really wasn't kidding about the dimensions of the speakers. The woofers alone on most of the suggestions wouldn't fit in the spot where the wiring is. If I had more time, I'd send a picture, but I have 5.5" in a corner next to a plantation shutter on both sides of the room for the rear speaks (which means they cannot be more than 5" across because the shutters have to open). This is a real physical limitation. And while I have a slightly larger spot in the front of the room for the satellites, it's not much larger. As I looked at it last night, it occurred to me that the space where we would watch movies, etc., is actually much smaller than the entire great room/kitchen described earlier, and the speakers are focused on that area, really an 18X14 area which seems smaller because the furniture is clustered in that area for TV/movies, Steeler championship games, etc.

I may have done a disservice with my description. The space is a large rectangle, but the sitting area really takes up an irregular 12x12-ish corner of it dominated by a large armoire sitting between the back speakers. The speaker mounts--front and back about 7 ft up--and the spot for the sub are all within this area. The rest of the rectangle is the kitchen/dining area of the great room off to one side. So, it's a "nook" in one end of the great room where the music/movies are focused.

I think that makes this application more feasible, unless the HK's are complete garbage, but I'm still open to thoughts--need to look up the dimensions of the white speaks mentioned above--also still in the market for suggestions for a mid-range AVR with passable sound optimization that will run two zones and a method for splitting the patio/front room/master into a different zone/zones. (if I'm saying this right)

Thanks again, all--I appreciate your wisdom and patience.

Semper Fi, DK
You can always cut a hole lower on the wall, and put a wall plate in for speaker jacks, and then fish the wires on the wall to the new jack (you might even find that the person who wired the speaker ran them close to the floor and then up the wall). You could then plug the hole, and paint. In walls are not going to do what you need for anywhere near what your budget is. I highly suggest you go with Towers for the front channels or at least some good bookshelf speakers, and a sub. The HKs might be ok for a small bedroom, but that is as far as I would go.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..