Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Which "budget" home theater system?

Tags
budget
1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  sealkojac 
#1 ·
I am looking at not spending much money on a home theater system. I'm staying at my current spot for only a year or two tops and need something "cheap". Anything is better than the TV speakers right? :)

Which of these are better? Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater System ($299) or Onkyo SKS-HT690 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker System ($377).

I've read great reviews on both, but I'm always skeptical on those reviews.

Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards the ENERGY.

#2 ·
I would say that the Onkyo system would out preform the Energy system by a long shot given that the sub is larger and the drivers in all of the speakers are also larger. The center channel has two drivers so it will produce a larger sound field.

#5 ·
Where are you located? that makes a big difference in what you can buy.

#4 ·
I have never heard either but I would lean slightly toward the Energy system.
They have tweeters in all five speakers, the Onkyo surrounds do not. Energy builds speakers and has a pretty long history with the Canadian NRC. Onkyo is not primarily a speaker manufacturer.
Tony makes some good points though, the Onkyo sub does look like it would be the better performer. And the Onkyo speakers should dig a fair bit deeper based on the specs, but then they are not very efficient.
Either would probably do very well as a budget system for a year or two.

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.