Planning on a HT room for my Dad place.. need audio gear recommendations - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 3 Old 12-26-15, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Planning on a HT room for my Dad place.. need audio gear recommendations

So my dad is not a crazy audio nut like myself or his brother is. He has a simple $1k bose system right now that he is happy with. But he is talking now about changing up a few rooms upstairs to accommodate a dedicated movie room. He does want to spend a small amount on the audio just to give a good "presentation" to others who view. Right now I'm not sure what his audio budget is but I figured I'd come up with a few ideas to throw at him. I could use some help on a few recommendations. Let me go over some basics:

1. Receiver would be plenty for his needs with a budget around 1k
2. Subwoofers would probably be dual ULS-15 MK2s = $1640
3. cables would be modest from monoprice type thing
4. audio rack would be custom built in simple shelving
5. speaker selection unknown at this time - need advice

Right now subwoofers, receiver and cabling I'm proposing around 3k. I'd like to make a suggestion to him for speakers to keep the total at 5k. I suppose the need for atmos ready would be a plus. He would more than likely install 7 channels around the room with a potential for 2 or 4 ceiling speakers. He wouldn't need to be playing at reference levels but -10db would be the max preffered listening. Not sure on any setups that could be had for $2k for that but figured I would reach out to the masss here for some insight.

Also... he may end up saying his budget is 8k or 10k but I honestly doubt it... even though thats nothing for my dad he just doesn't really feel the need to invest gobs of money like that in the audio. Something nice sounding though would be a great plus and I think the dual HSU subs would be the key to a nice low end. Room specs would probably end up being 8' ceiling x 16' width and around 24' length.

Most of his money spent would be him doing all the custom woodwork... he would want it all fancy looking w/ a stage, dual rows of seating and all sorts of elegant trimwork. This is a $1mil+ home so he would invest all his $ in the room and seating. He doesn't want to go to a projector he said a simple 90" LCD would be all he would put and maybe if he does the room wouldn't be as big but I'm still trying to push him toward some sort of $4k projector/screen combo and/or a $10k budget for all AV gear.

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-26-15, 02:49 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System
Re: Planning on a HT room for my Dad place.. need audio gear recommendations

Without knowing his true budget you're probably going to get suggestions all over the place, so perhaps that's the first thing needed. Also, are there WAF considerations or aesthetic requirements for the speakers? (no glossy black, must be natural wood, no towers, etc)

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 3 Old 12-26-15, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Re: Planning on a HT room for my Dad place.. need audio gear recommendations

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
Without knowing his true budget you're probably going to get suggestions all over the place, so perhaps that's the first thing needed. Also, are there WAF considerations or aesthetic requirements for the speakers? (no glossy black, must be natural wood, no towers, etc)
The only consideration I would think of is IF esthetic becomes a concern and wants in wall surrounds. I did mention to him the best setup would be acoustic transparent screen w/ speakers behind.

Right now I need all over the place so I can research other options.

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"