Home theater recommendation (around $1000) - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 06-27-16, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Home theater recommendation (around $1000)

Hey guys!
I recently got maried and was looking to setup a home theater in my new apartment.
The room is roughly 50x25ft (15mx8m), with the couch where we'll be sitting halfway across the 15m lenght.
Since i don't know much about audio, my first thought was geting a HTIAB. But since then looking on these forums i found out that there's also alternatives like buying a reciever and a separate 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system.
My budget is around $1000.
Looking for the HTIAB i found these two:
Onkyo HT-S7700
Onkyo HT-S9700THX

Or a $400-500 reciever with Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater System ($384,00 on amazon).

But i don't know if that's the best i can get with 1000 bucks.
I'll be using the home theater to play music and watch movies/series (no gaming), and since i live in an apartment i don't need really powerful speakers, since i can't listen that loud or else the neighbors gonna go crazy.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-27-16, 10:25 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System
Re: Home theater recommendation (around $1000)

Assuming a standard 8' ceiling height, your room is 10,000 ft^3. There is absolutely no way any HTiB or the Energy 5.1 Take Classic system will even put a dent in that much space. You'll need something far larger in order to get anything usable I'm afraid.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 6 Old 06-28-16, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help! Since i'm on a $1000-$1300 budget what should i do? Buy a reciever, a decent speaker package and upgrade in the future?
Another thing, its a big room, but the couch where we'll be sitting is in the middle of the room, and the sound don't really need to reach the end of the room since there is only the dinning table. Can i put the suround spekaer around the couch?

post #4 of 6 Old 06-28-16, 11:44 AM

Ron

My System

Have you thought about buying used equipment...you can save a lot.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #5 of 6 Old 06-28-16, 01:37 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
ale45x wrote: View Post
Thanks for the help! Since i'm on a $1000-$1300 budget what should i do? Buy a reciever, a decent speaker package and upgrade in the future?
Another thing, its a big room, but the couch where we'll be sitting is in the middle of the room, and the sound don't really need to reach the end of the room since there is only the dinning table. Can i put the suround spekaer around the couch?
If you're sitting in the exact middle of the room you can pretty much guarantee that the bass response will be poor unless you have the subwoofer very close to you. It's almost certain there will be a null (dead spot).

In your case it might be better to concentrate on getting a decent receiver, a somewhat powerful subwoofer and just the front three speakers. Spend more money on fewer components in order to get ones with a bit more capability. The left and right speakers should probably be towers as well, ensuring they'll have a better chance of overcoming that volume of space.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #6 of 6 Old 06-29-16, 08:00 AM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
If you're sitting in the exact middle of the room you can pretty much guarantee that the bass response will be poor unless you have the subwoofer very close to you. It's almost certain there will be a null (dead spot).

In your case it might be better to concentrate on getting a decent receiver, a somewhat powerful subwoofer and just the front three speakers. Spend more money on fewer components in order to get ones with a bit more capability. The left and right speakers should probably be towers as well, ensuring they'll have a better chance of overcoming that volume of space.
I'll second that advice! The system "sees" the entire space - not just the space where you listen. Unless you stretch your dollars to get good bang-for-the-buck, you're almost certain to be dissatisfied from the beginning, and experience a strong dose of buyer's remorse.

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.