AVR and Display Choice - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #1 of 22 Old 03-08-17, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brock

AVR and Display Choice

Hi,

As most of you know. Have been around for close to a decade. A little off and on over the years, but active.

Started out with a KLH AVR from Bestbuy in about 04' with Sony Towers and bookshelfs. Haven spanned all the way to Polk RTi series, I am looking to add-on to the system with a 11.1 setup.

My current Onkyo 876 is having limitations to my end goal, as well as some technical issues that are beyond my expertise and would be cost ineffective to pursue professionally. So the first item on the agenda is a new AVR.

I would prefer Audssey as the room correction software. But if the mass recommends a different suite than it might be worth looking. So my first choice was the Denon 6300. Looking for a Flagship or tier down from Flagship. I have seem new ones on Amazon for 1800, and 1699 or so on Ebay.

Next item is a Display. I have a Panasonic 46" from 2009 model. I want as large as possible with optimum video quality. Which led me to OLED from LG. But this year Panasonic seems to be entering the ring for OLED. So theres that. The room will be posted in the construction and design forum later. But I am hoping for a seating of 6-7. So what is going to be better? OLED, or maybe Projector. It would hopefully a light controlled room.

So yeah, thanks for reading and hope for some good input. In summary based on my research the LG E7 65", and the Denon 6300 are my first choices atm. Any feedback would be grateful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1x Onkyo TX-SR876(Receiver)
1x Panasonic TH46PZ80U (TV)
1x Polk Audio CSi5 (Center Speaker)
2x Polk Audio RTi12 (Tower Speakers)
2x Polk Audio Rti6 (Surround Speakers)
1x SVS PC-13 Ultra (Subwoofer)
XBox One with 5tB External HDD
Sony Playstation2, Nintendo Gamecube, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo N64, Sega Dreamcast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-08-17, 07:55 AM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
It sounds like you're on the right track with the AVR and display you're considering. You mentioned the room will be light controlled. I would personally go the projector route in a dedicated room.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-08-17, 07:58 AM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System
Re: AVR and Display Choice

Quote:
the_rookie wrote: View Post
Hi,

As most of you know. Have been around for close to a decade. A little off and on over the years, but active.

Started out with a KLH AVR from Bestbuy in about 04' with Sony Towers and bookshelfs. Haven spanned all the way to Polk RTi series, I am looking to add-on to the system with a 11.1 setup.

My current Onkyo 876 is having limitations to my end goal, as well as some technical issues that are beyond my expertise and would be cost ineffective to pursue professionally. So the first item on the agenda is a new AVR.

I would prefer Audssey as the room correction software. But if the mass recommends a different suite than it might be worth looking. So my first choice was the Denon 6300. Looking for a Flagship or tier down from Flagship. I have seem new ones on Amazon for 1800, and 1699 or so on Ebay.

Next item is a Display. I have a Panasonic 46" from 2009 model. I want as large as possible with optimum video quality. Which led me to OLED from LG. But this year Panasonic seems to be entering the ring for OLED. So theres that. The room will be posted in the construction and design forum later. But I am hoping for a seating of 6-7. So what is going to be better? OLED, or maybe Projector. It would hopefully a light controlled room.

So yeah, thanks for reading and hope for some good input. In summary based on my research the LG E7 65", and the Denon 6300 are my first choices atm. Any feedback would be grateful.

Hey Rookie!

Alright, I'll play along with this... here's my general opinion:

The Denon you've chosen is a good one, although I wouldn't place a tremendous amount of stock in the Audyssey package. I believe, across the board, that most of the major manufacturers have room correction that can fine tune (but not work miracles)...yes, Audyssey can EQ more of the low frequency spectrum, but whether or not it can help you with your room remains to be seen.. I think you'd be much better off tossing some money at outboard EQ (perhaps a product from miniDSP or finding an old Beheringer Feedback Destroyer) and using REW to tame the low frequencies. As for the mids and highs... a lot of experts will tell you room correction can actually do more harm than good in that realm. My personal experience is that room correction can help in that realm...but everyone's room is different. The most important thing is getting your speakers distance and channel level exact.

If I were you, I'd also checkout the Elite flagship... they are very cool running machines and Elite gear is known for its high performance. I run a Yamaha, and have very much enjoyed the user experience.

All of that being said, a lot goes into satisfying your own wishes...and if that Denon sounds like a good buy, go for it. I'm sure you'll love it.

As for the display... You can't go wrong with OLED. LG has knocked it out of the park... and both Panasonic and Sony are/will be using LG W-OLED panels in their televisions. I could be wrong, but last I checked Panasonic is not selling its OLED in the US... I have a 65" LG OLED and it's awesome. Most HD look great (I was thoroughly underwhelmed by the broadcast quality of Fox for NFL in my area)... and streaming 4K with HDR will melt your eyes into a pool of happiness.

Projectors open up an amazing theatrical experience, but I'd only run one if your room is 100% light controlled... off the top of my head, I don't believe and sub-$7K projectors are Dolby Vision capable at this time... I think they all only have HDR10 compatibility (the LG OLEDs are Dolby and HDR10)... also, if you want 4K with HDR on a projector, your wallet is going to take a hit. More than likely you're looking at 1080p or some kind of e-shift technology. That being said, a 1080p projector running Blu-ray still looks amazing if you're at proper seating distances.

One comment... if you think you'll primarily be watching movies, then give strong consideration to a projector (with memory zoom) with a cinema scope screen. This could just be a pet-peeve of mine, but I generally haven't enjoyed watching disc-based movies on my OLED because of the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen.

Best wishes on your search... one thing is for sure: whatever you buy, you'll end up enjoying for years to come!

post #4 of 22 Old 03-08-17, 09:50 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Good words above. I have a question. Is 11.1 to be front and rear heights or wides, or is this full atmos, 11.1.4?
post #5 of 22 Old 03-08-17, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brock

I was thinking wides. Could i buy more bookshelf speakers and use them as the atmos? To keep the same timbre as the rest of the speakers with the same cabinets and drivers?

Sony Playstation2, Nintendo Gamecube, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo N64, Sega Dreamcast.
post #6 of 22 Old 03-08-17, 10:41 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Yes you can use more bookshelf speakers for Atmos. Jbrax has a few nice posts of his installation. The reason I asked was, imo if you're going to dive into the upgrade process, is would recommend bypassing all of the faux surround stuff(plIIz height and wide stuff) and just upgrade to Atmos. Not sure if the waf would hold that though.
tonyvdb likes this.
post #7 of 22 Old 03-08-17, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brock

AVR and Display Choice

I plan on having this in a dedicated HT room, not a living room or anything. So WAF shouldnt be an issue. But the whole room design and setup is still open for debate. Looking for an optimum solution. I want natural sound reproduction. In the end i am thinking i will need at least another pair or two of my speakes to have it all timbre matched. I got 2 RTi12's towers, 2 RTi6's bookshelves and 2 RTi FX's for the rear surrounds and a CSi5 Center. Which gives me a 7.1 atm. Which means either a wide front with another set of RTi12s or heights which probably better if i use the RTi6's. And than the surrounds another RTi6 at least. Than Atmos...or not. Nothing is really concrete.

Last edited by the_rookie; 03-08-17 at 11:01 AM.
post #8 of 22 Old 03-08-17, 11:01 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

@JBrax how bout a link to your room?

You could go in ceiling or on ceiling, but IMO atmos is the future and I would build with that in mind. Also, there is no faux surround format that can do what atmos does. It's amazing.
post #9 of 22 Old 03-08-17, 02:57 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
I don't have all of the pics on my new phone but here's one showing the matching bookshelfs. WAF could certainly come into play with black boxes everywhere but mines a good sport.
Attached Thumbnails
AVR and Display Choice-img_0769_1489006649792.jpg  

post #10 of 22 Old 03-09-17, 01:37 PM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Quote:
the_rookie wrote: View Post
Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
The Denon you've chosen is a good one, although I wouldn't place a tremendous amount of stock in the Audyssey package. I believe, across the board, that most of the major manufacturers have room correction that can fine tune (but not work miracles)...yes, Audyssey can EQ more of the low frequency spectrum, but whether or not it can help you with your room remains to be seen.. I think you'd be much better off tossing some money at outboard EQ (perhaps a product from miniDSP or finding an old Beheringer Feedback Destroyer) and using REW to tame the low frequencies. As for the mids and highs... a lot of experts will tell you room correction can actually do more harm than good in that realm. My personal experience is that room correction can help in that realm...but everyone's room is different. The most important thing is getting your speakers distance and channel level exact.

If I were you, I'd also checkout the Elite flagship... they are very cool running machines and Elite gear is known for its high performance. I run a Yamaha, and have very much enjoyed the user experience.

All of that being said, a lot goes into satisfying your own wishes...and if that Denon sounds like a good buy, go for it. I'm sure you'll love it.
A less-known but equally capable RC solution is Dirac Live. While only a few processors offer the suite, it is available on miniDSP and PC hardware platforms. You can run the cost-effective PC version on your laptop, download the results, then disconnect and forget. Dirac's "claim to fame" is it's capability to make real improvements - not just changes - to soundstage and imaging. So if sound is your primary concern, Dirac is worth seeking out.

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.