Tips for buying a new speaker set for my DENON AV receiver. - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #11 of 18 Old 02-13-19, 08:28 PM
Shackster
skris88

Re: Tips for buying a new speaker set for my DENON AV receiver.

Quote:
skris88 wrote: View Post
Hehe, yes I agree. Audyssey can't make a silk purse from a pig's ear! But, have you tried it? Looks like you have only read about it. Audyssey actually CAN make a $30 Dayton B652 loudspeaker sound like a $300 loudspeaker! There were beaming issues still (Audyssey cannot correct for that), but it was scarily good - and the test listeners were experienced 'audiophiles'.
....and we still MUST listen before we buy! there are some faults only our magnificent ear-brain can pick out, which computers and DSP correction will never be able to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 02-16-19, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Hello ,

thanks for replying everyone.

I will surely go and listen to some different speakers.

Here's a list of brands i find , but other brands are welcome.
What brands are known to be good speaker makers ?
Any favorites ?

Camry
Canton
Dali
Dayton Audio
Fenton
Focal
Jamo
JBL
Klipsch
Krüger&Matz
Monitor Audio
Pioneer
Power Dynamics
Q Acoustics
Quadral
Skytec
Thonet & Vander Turm
Wharfedale
Yamaha

Thanks
post #13 of 18 Old 02-20-19, 06:10 PM

Quote:
skris88 wrote: View Post
Hehe, yes I agree. Audyssey can't make a silk purse from a pig's ear! But, have you tried it? Looks like you have only read about it. Audyssey actually CAN make a $30 Dayton B652 loudspeaker sound like a $300 loudspeaker! There were beaming issues still (Audyssey cannot correct for that), but it was scarily good - and the test listeners were experienced 'audiophiles'.
Dynamic curve shaping does not get rid of non-linearities it only masks them. Speakers are inherently non linear. They are electro-mechanical devices. Listening to speakers is the best way to select them. Start at the top and listen to the most expensive that you can find, then listen to some in your price range. You will find something that will work for you. Although they may sound different when you get them home. It's your room interfering with the acoustic environment. Good luck, and have fun listening.

post #14 of 18 Old 02-21-19, 01:06 PM
Senior Shackster

Greg

My System

B&W
Canton
Dayton Audio
Focal
JBL
Klipsch
Monitor Audio
Wharfedale

Your list did not include B&W but i noticed they were listed on your first store link. My short list (mostly from your list), B&W, Canton, Focal and others not on your list. Also I don't know if you have a "BestBuy" near you but they do "Price Match" B&W etc and they have "price marked down's" for various reasons...

As has been written, 3.1 is minimal for movies especially since Dolby, DTS, Dolby Atmos. With decent speakers watching any movie the listener faces a full sound stage taking up the space between him and the movie screen extending out in all directions. not specific speakers LRC/sub etc - Without a center channel speaker however the sound stage is reduced and believe-ability is reduced.
However if you've ever listened/watched a movie with a 3.1 system you would never give up a center speaker but when buying good speakers a 2.1 system might be a great place to buy a speaker system that can be added to later.
Let us know what you think and the result? Please...

We believe everything we tell ourselves..., don't we??
post #15 of 18 Old 02-21-19, 05:25 PM
Senior Shackster
Glenn

My System

I support using a center speaker when listening to multi-channel audio because the audio is mixed for it. If audio is meant to come out of a center speaker, I want it coming out of a center speaker, not out of the left/right speakers. Yes, with a proper audio signal, and proper speakers, and proper speaker placement, and a proper listening position, a phantom center can be as good as using a real center speaker, but how often do you have all of those properties in place. A real center speaker comes closest to guaranteeing a proper center image when called for.

There aren't many bad speaker manufacturers. It's very similar to vehicle manufacturers, there are cheaper entry level products and there are more expensive better products. So if you listen to one model of a JBL speaker and don't like it, you may like a different model of JBL speaker. Such as the difference between the JBL Northridge series and the JBL Studio series. As mentioned earlier, you should have similar sounding speakers when implementing surround sound. Typically speakers in the same model line sound similar. And technically using the exact same speaker for all speakers is best. This is including the center speaker. Most manufacturers make a horizontal "center" speaker, this horizontal orientation is only for aesthetics and for situations where a vertical speaker won't fit under the TV. These horizontal "center" speakers typically do not sound as good as their vertical counterparts.

My suggestion is to use the exact same vertically orientated bookshelf speakers for all speakers (whether doing 3.1 or 7.1). These speakers should play confidently down to at least 60hz so they can have a crossover setting of 80hz to the subwoofer(s). When implemented properly multiple subwoofers can offer great benefits. To get better equipment you can always start off small and add speakers as funds allow. Find some great speakers that you can afford to buy two of for a 2.0 system. Then later add one more speaker for 3.0. Then later add one more speaker for 3.1. If you buy a cheaper 3.1 system right off the bat, you are going to get upgrade-itis very soon.
post #16 of 18 Old 02-21-19, 08:17 PM
Senior Shackster
Glenn

My System

What to listen for when auditioning speakers?

Obviously the quality of the sound coming out of the speakers. Does the bass sound bloated and indistinguishable (bad), or does it have low distortion and actually sound like the instrument (string bass, bass drum, etc.) (good)? Does the midrange sound chesty and hollow (bad), or does it have fullness (good) (James Earl Jones voice is a good test for blending between bass and midrange)? Does the treble sound dull and cut-off (bad), or does it have tinkle and sizzle without ringing and hurting your ears (good)?

Another matter to listen for that distinguishes the good from the better is what's know as 'imaging' and 'sound stage.' Does all of the sound blend together and sound as if it is coming directly out of each speaker (bad), or are the audio objects separate and sound like they are coming from a sound stage in front of you (meaning that the audio doesn't come directly out of each speaker but from several feet to the left, right, in front of, and behind the speakers) (good).

As an example of sets of speakers with these differences:
(good attributes) JBL Northridge series.
(great attributes) JBL Studio series.
post #17 of 18 Old 02-22-19, 07:08 PM
Senior Shackster

Greg

My System

Sorry that some of my posts are lacking in descriptors, nouns, adjectives. I haven't been proof reading. I am trying to write my thoughts clearly the first time without grammar-check etc etc...

One point worth going into, in some detail is the idea of buying speakers of similar build/model. Since i first started listening to music and accumulating system components, beginning with stereo speaker pairs in the 1960's and moving up to Sub/Sat systems, then on to 5.1 and 7.2 systems etc etc There has always been one consideration common to speakers and speaker arrays of any variety. In the 1960's and to this day matched stereo pairs of speaker drivers was and is of primary importance. Stereo imaging is best achieved when speaker transducers are not only of the same make and model but of equal electrical and mechanical parameters and sound very much like the other speakers in the speaker array. Buying quality speakers may assure the availability of matched drivers all around even in today's systems this might be important to some and with digital steering of soundtracks in movies etc to subs and surround speakers, and to specific speaker positions and to individual speaker box configs..., I'm feeling a need to mix and or match surrounds to their specific requirements may be interesting as well

Hope i am clear as mud

We believe everything we tell ourselves..., don't we??
post #18 of 18 Old 03-01-19, 06:56 PM
Shackster

You can make yourself crazy unless you have some "process".
Find a sound store that actually listens to you.
Tell them your price range, attributes, ie, floorstanding or bookshelf.
Bring CD's as was mentioned before, and audition speakers. You'll know the right ones when you hear them.
Some of my favorites are JBL, M&K, B&W, and Magnaplanar.
I had some bookshelf B&W that would knock your socks off.
Here is a really good read: http://www.mkloudspeakers.uk/wp-cont...tem-Manual.pdf