Another new person to home theater, advice please. - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 74 Old 11-16-09, 06:34 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Re: Another new person to home theater, advice please.

Hello,
Good to hear from a Member that they sounded satisfactory. The prices seem unreal. The package suggested here, the highest crossover is 80Hz which is for the surrounds/center. The Fronts are specced at 49 Hz. This should work well with the SVS Subwoofer being x'overed at 80Hz.
Cheers,
JJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 74 Old 11-16-09, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
H

Hello,

Thanks for all of the suggestions thus far. I've never heard of SVS, Yambeka, or Fluance - so there's quite a bit more reading up to do. Unfortunately, the SVS speakers and Yambeka speakers are a little out of my price range. But thanks for the recommendation. Please keep them coming.

On the Fluance speaker set suggested, the center speaker sensitivity is 86dB. From what I understand it takes more power to drive something that's 86dB vs. something that's 91dB. Does is equate to loudness or only how hard the amp/receiver has to work? Since the center is at 86dB and the floor speakers are at 89dB, will the center have trouble with being loud enough to deliver clear dialog in movies? Or do I have it all wrong?

Should I be concerned about the heat issue with Onkyo's? What's the difference between the sr706 and sr707 models? I'm looking at the spec sheet side by side and they look identical. If the heat is an issue, does anyone have thoughts on the Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K and Denon AVR1910?

I can't get my brain around spending as much ($500 incl. shipping) for the SVS subwoofer as a receiver. Is there a different (less expensive) alternative or is it just worth it to save up and get this?

Again, many thanks. I'm just trying to take it all in and make an informed decision.
H
post #13 of 74 Old 11-16-09, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
H

Quote:
selden wrote: View Post
Emuc,

If you can spare the time, you should consider visiting a local AV store to listen to speakers. Take some of your favorite music so you're familiar with what it sounds like. I suspect you'll be surprised at how much better it can sound with quality speakers.

In general, you should probably plan to spend about 2/3 of your budget on speakers and the rest on electronics.
Hi selden,

Thanks for the suggestion. The closest place by me is about 30min away and from their website it doesn't seem as if they carry the Fluance that I'm interested in. That said, it couldn't hurt to check them out, right? Should I bring some DVD's or something if I don't really have that much audio to bring with me? I generally use speakers for 50% gaming, 40% movies/tv shows, 10% music - so I don't have that much music to bring with me to try out.

Thanks again for the suggestion,
H

post #14 of 74 Old 11-17-09, 07:46 AM
Senior Shackster

selden

My System

H,

By all means, listen to your favorite DVD. Hopefully you can avoid getting distracted by the video (One of my problems is that I have trouble that way, which makes it hard for me to use one to evaluate speakers.) Music (whether CD or high-bit-rate MP3: many modern receivers include USB/iPod connectivity) is usually a better test, because it's easier to determine if individual instruments sound right. The sound tracks on DVDs usually include lots of processing, since the audio is meant to support the movie, not to stand alone.

You shouldn't hesitate to give them a call ahead of time, and let them know your approximate budget. They might be able to set up a system in advance for you to listen to. Of course, they'll try to persuade you to spend more than you want!

Whatever you decide, though, be sure not to get Bose. Their money is spent on marketing, not on audio design.
post #15 of 74 Old 11-17-09, 09:27 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

H,
The receiver was originally 900 Dollars. The subwoofer is well worth it and will provide you years of room shaking deep bass. The Onkyo is much more powerful than the Pioneer 1019 and should have no problems with a 86db efficient speaker.

In order to sell quality speakers cheaply, many companies have gone ID (Internet Direct). This is a big reason why you might not be familiar with some of these brands.

All the same at 1200 Dollars, the system I proposed would give you years of quality sound. The only part I am not personally familiar with are the Fluance Spekaers. But given the price and reviews, should meet your needs and budget.
Cheers,
JJ
post #16 of 74 Old 11-17-09, 09:36 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

do not concern yourself with the heat issues in the Onkyo receivers, Heat is normal with any receiver that offers as much as they do. Bang for buck Onkyo is the best out there. Its always good practice to place a receiver in a spot where it can breath freely nothing on top of it and nothing producing heat below it like a PVR or sat receiver.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #17 of 74 Old 11-18-09, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
H

Hi,

I think I'll save up a little more and keep an eye out for holiday sales so that I can get the Onkyo SR707, Fluance SXHTB+, and possibly the SVS PB10-NSD. Total including shipping and all should come out to $1470, maybe less!

That said, while looking at reviews on the PS10-NSD, it was also compared to the Outlaw LFM-1 and eD A3-300 and even PS12-NSD. Are there any opinions on those?

Thanks again for the advice.
H
post #18 of 74 Old 11-18-09, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
H

Agh... I just missed out on getting the Onkyo sr707 for $544 shipped. I had it in my cart this morning, had to run out the door. Just got home and saw that the price went back up to $620. Oh well.

Anyways, I'll be sure to have the receiver well ventilated.
post #19 of 74 Old 11-18-09, 03:26 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Quote:
Emuc64 wrote: View Post
Hi,

I think I'll save up a little more and keep an eye out for holiday sales so that I can get the Onkyo SR707, Fluance SXHTB+, and possibly the SVS PB10-NSD. Total including shipping and all should come out to $1470, maybe less!

That said, while looking at reviews on the PS10-NSD, it was also compared to the Outlaw LFM-1 and eD A3-300 and even PS12-NSD. Are there any opinions on those?

Thanks again for the advice.
H
Hello,
Those all are excellent, high value subwoofers. The Outlaw was designed by Hsu research, who also makes great subs. Any of the above will outperform subwoofers sold for the same price at Best Buy by a huge margin. Pick whichever one is on sale and you will be blown away.
Cheers,
JJ
post #20 of 74 Old 11-18-09, 03:29 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

The PS12-NSD is a fairly big step up from the 10NSD if you can swing it you would not be disappointed but I know your budget is tight so the PB10 NSD is also a very capable sub.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900