I want my 7.1 (and a whole lot more...) :-) - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 17 Old 12-16-06, 04:59 AM
digital
Inactive

I want my 7.1 (and a whole lot more...) :-)

7.1 Surround Sound in the rental shops?

I see all kinds of Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound movies for rent /sale in my local BlockBuster and Rogers outlets, but I have - never - seen a 'factory' 7.1 surround movie notation listed on the back of any packages...

Has anyone ever come across this forgotten technology? Is it listed as something else aside from THX encoding that I have simply not noticed or has the format been all but ignored in Hollywood?

Additionally, I very rarely see systems advertised in flyers etc. as being 7.1, they inevitably seem to be pushed as 5.1 Surround.

I for one, am a big fan of surround sound! , I greatly look forward to 9.1, 11.2 and whatever else 'they' come up with in the future! At this point in time, I strongly believe that there should be a standard for two more channels: (one) centered directly above and behind the listener and another (one) in front of and above the television.

These two new mono-channels could use a matrix circuit to provide the illusion of the sounds emanating from all spaces above, behind and most importantly, vocals directly 'behind the glass' as is done in a theater with its more or less acoustically transparent screen.

Comments?

Andrew D.
cdnav.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-17-06, 07:14 AM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Re: I want my 7.1 (and a whole lot more...) :-)

Quote:
I have - never - seen a 'factory' 7.1 surround movie notation listed on the back of any packages
That's because the 7.1 encoding format doesn't actually exist. There are some 6.1 encoded titles, although not many. The only discrete 6th channel encoding is DTS-ES, while Dolby EX (a.k.a. THX Surround EX) relies on a matrixing technique to produce the 6th channel. The 7th channel is basically a copy of the 6th channel intended to widen the soundfield in the back.

I personally like the addition of the 6th back channel and find it adds quite a bit. Mostly, my 6th channel comes from matrixing (read faked), because there are very few titles that use the encoding. Dolby EX forced and DTS-Matrix do a good job of creating a 6th channel when one doesn't actually exist and I find all the DPLllx and NEO:6 decoders do a fair job too.

Not likely anything will ever come of a wish to expand past the 7.1 systems. It's hard to get most people to accept 5.1, which is really the standard in the industry today, and will likely remain that way. Anything more is just too many speakers in the living room.

brucek
post #3 of 17 Old 12-17-06, 08:47 AM
Andrew Pratt
Inactive

I'm expecting a push to add ceiling speakers next in some way shape or form...though I doubt many will bother with them for the reasons Bruce mentioned above.

post #4 of 17 Old 12-17-06, 07:25 PM
Elite Shackster
Bob

Send a message via AIM to bobgpsr

Quote:
brucek wrote: View Post
That's because the 7.1 encoding format doesn't actually exist.
The new lossy audio codecs (DD+ and dts-HD HR) available on high def shiny discs (Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD) do allow discrete7.1 audio tracks to be encoded. Also the lossless codecs Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD Master Audio are allowed to have 7.1 tracks on BD and HD DVD.

But I have yet to see any examples. Perhaps the new Digital_Video_Essentials (DVE test disc) for HD DVD will have some 7.1 tracks.

Bob
post #5 of 17 Old 12-18-06, 12:25 PM
garcianc2003
Inactive

This won't answer the original question but a while back I found this handy list of DTS-ES and DD-EX titles in another board: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...ad.php?t=17262.
No 7.1 titles on that list yet. I can't believe that there are 9.1 receivers out there...
post #6 of 17 Old 12-18-06, 03:30 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Layering Dolby Pro Logic IIx on top of a DD or DTS stream will get you something very close to discrete 7.1. The original 5.1 channels stay unaltered, but the rear left is matrixed from the surround left and the rear right is matrixed form the surround right. It's not directly mirrored, rather, it uses phase ques and determines how much is similar and how much is different between the surround right and left to piece together the rears. It works extremely well, and I'd say it is the standard for 7.1 at the moment. In movies that don't put the surrounds to very good or very much use, it won't be anything special. In movies that do put the surrounds to good use, it definitely enhances the experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #7 of 17 Old 12-18-06, 06:09 PM
Elite Shackster
Bob

Send a message via AIM to bobgpsr

^^^ Excellent point Steve!
post #8 of 17 Old 12-20-06, 11:14 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Naut

There's no 7.1 in the commercial theaters yet, is there?

I use four surrounds and let PLIIx (Music) do all the work. The envelopment of having four surround speaker locations is probably more improtant than having a discrete rear channel (or two).

Who's actually heard a "height" channel to say how important it is? Does it exist in any theater?

We are the Shack. Existence as you know it is over.
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-20-06, 11:23 AM
garcianc2003
Inactive

Quote:
Ayreonaut wrote: View Post
There's no 7.1 in the commercial theaters yet, is there?
I believe SDDS supports up to 8 discrete channels plus sub. However, I can't tell much difference between discrete and matrixed surround channels anyway, so it's all lost in my cheap ears I guess.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-20-06, 12:09 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Naut

Quote:
garcianc2003 wrote: View Post
...so it's all lost in my cheap ears I guess.
What? Aren't your ears pointed backward like mine?

We are the Shack. Existence as you know it is over.
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.