Trying to make the wife happy need help - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 11 Old 08-20-10, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
AudioPhil

Trying to make the wife happy need help

Ok the plan was to build the TriTrix knock down kit from PE. Wife was on board I was happy. Now she wants me to hide the speakers so an inwall may be the way to go. Is it possible to get the same sound quality and Volume for music as well as HT???? the other issue is price. I figured with the TriTrix and finishing them in a maple laminate would put be close to 300 for the pair. The only reason I am willing to give in to her wishes on this is that down the road we plan on finishing the basement with a theater room and I can build what ever I want as loud as i want as big as i want . ( she has no Idea what she has agreed to). Any Ideas would be helpful. Currently we are using small Polk book shelf speakers. they are ok but not great. I already have the sub and I have a pair of inwalls for the rears, that I plan to install in the ceiling since the couch is against the back wall. The room is 15 from tv to couch and 17 wide. I have a Yamaha reciever good for 110RMS for the surrounds and front. Center Channel is Bose i want to get this ordered today before she changes her mind again...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-20-10, 04:42 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Trying to make the wife happy need help

In walls are always a compromise and unless you spend a fair bit more than normal speakers your not going to be very happy. Placement becomes even more an issue and makes it even harder once installed if there are quality issues to fix them. In wall speakers cant just be placed in a wall if its an exterior wall and need to be mounted in between two studs so that may also not be symmetrical.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #3 of 11 Old 08-20-10, 05:14 PM
Elite Shackster

bambino

The best inwalls come with back boxes so that they sound as close to a real speaker if you will. But there are still issues as pointed out above.

post #4 of 11 Old 08-20-10, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
AudioPhil

What about mounting height is there a recomended height for the speakers when considering HT? I was looking at the DIY Project "Phantoms of the Theater" on PE. Any thoughts on that. I took some measurements a while back and the studs fall into the right place so centering the picture will be ok. These will not be on a exterior wall. Any thoughts on adding insulation to the wall?
post #5 of 11 Old 08-20-10, 05:31 PM
Senior Shackster

Lester

My System

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
In walls are always a compromise and unless you spend a fair bit more than normal speakers your not going to be very happy. Placement becomes even more an issue and makes it even harder once installed if there are quality issues to fix them. In wall speakers cant just be placed in a wall if its an exterior wall and need to be mounted in between two studs so that may also not be symmetrical.
Tony,

Why can't in wall speakers be placed in an exterior wall? Is it because of the insulation or is there some obvious reason which escapes me?
Thanks
post #6 of 11 Old 08-20-10, 05:36 PM
Elite Shackster

bambino

If they are fronts then i'd suggest ear level or not much higher.

On my inwalls i took 1/4"x1.5" wood and glued it to the inside paremeter of the sheetrock where the dog ears clamp, i then used automotive sound deadening mat on the front back and sides and sealed all around where the sheetrock meets the studs with caulk then sprayed automotive undercoating on top of all that.
It seemed to make them sound better then they did when i origionly just cut a hole and mounted them but they still can't keep up with or sound as good as bookshelfs of the same size

P.S. mine are for rear duty surround with towers up front so they are only used for movies and the occasional 5 channel stereo.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-20-10, 05:41 PM
Elite Shackster

bambino

I have mine on an exterior wall.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-20-10, 07:34 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
waldo563 wrote: View Post
Tony,

Why can't in wall speakers be placed in an exterior wall? Is it because of the insulation or is there some obvious reason which escapes me?
Thanks
Yes, there are several reasons that it is not a good idea. Placing speakers in a wall with insulation will dampen the acoustic properties of the wall around the speaker and will cause it to function incorrectly. Cutting through the vapour barrier will introduce moisture and not only damage the speaker but cause mold to grow. The insulation may also be a fire hazard if touching the speaker particularly where the wiring is.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #9 of 11 Old 08-20-10, 08:21 PM
Senior Shackster

Lester

My System

Tony,

All valid points which I will have to remember the next time I install in-wall speakers in an exterior wall. I wonder if it would help with the acoustics and vapor barrier issues if I retrofitted the installation by building a sealed enclosure similar to what is described by bambino. Hopefully, moisture is not big issue since I'm living in a fairly dry climate and since these speakers are powering my wife's AV setup they are never driven very hard which should mitigate any fire hazard somewhat. Thanks for the input.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-21-10, 01:51 AM
Elite Shackster

bambino

No insulation, or moisture to worry about with the way i have mine setup, they kind of ended up in enclosure all there own the way i did it.