Your thought on Harman Kardon - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 17 Old 03-29-11, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Your thought on Harman Kardon

Hi all,

I am planning to buy my first home theater, so I am thinking about HK AVR 3600 + HKTS 60. What do you think about their performance in term of sound, durability and quality? do you recommend the AVR 3600 over AVR 2600? who are the direct competitors and how do you rate them? Is HK set worth its price? since it sold at $2179.99 in my country.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-29-11, 10:08 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Re: Your thought on Harman Kardon

Hello,
H/K makes quality AVR's and I am especially fond of Logic 7 which is exclusive to HK when it comes to AVR's.
That being said, I prefer Audyssey MultEQ equipped AVR's as I believe it to make Room Anomalies go away in the best possible way.

AVR's that use Audyssey include Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, and I am sure others I am not thinking about.
If at all possible, go and check out some AVR's in your price range and both listen and see how you like the Remote, GUI, and most importantly sound.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #3 of 17 Old 03-29-11, 04:54 PM
Elite Shackster

Kick logic 2 da curb

I second what JJ has said on the AVR front. I like H/K as a brand but they wouldn't be my first choice for a receiver.

With respect to their speakers, I can't tell you much about them having not heard themf. I will say that Infinity (Harman's Best Buy speaker brand) makes relatively good entry level speakers in its Primus line.

I'm mostly a fan of Harman's JBL Professional and Revel brands.

post #4 of 17 Old 03-30-11, 07:32 AM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

My big complaint is the really flimsy cheap feeling volume knob that they use on their AVRs I cringe every time I touch one of them, feels like it is going to fall off in my hand. granted most people use the remote most of the time and it is a non issue but it really just gives off a cheap vibe.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-02-11, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
That looks like a good bundle to start with.
Quote:
Jungle Jack wrote: View Post
Hello,
H/K makes quality AVR's and I am especially fond of Logic 7 which is exclusive to HK when it comes to AVR's.
That being said, I prefer Audyssey MultEQ equipped AVR's as I believe it to make Room Anomalies go away in the best possible way.

AVR's that use Audyssey include Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, and I am sure others I am not thinking about.
If at all possible, go and check out some AVR's in your price range and both listen and see how you like the Remote, GUI, and most importantly sound.
Cheers,
JJ
Quote:
GranteedEV wrote: View Post
I second what JJ has said on the AVR front. I like H/K as a brand but they wouldn't be my first choice for a receiver.

With respect to their speakers, I can't tell you much about them having not heard themf. I will say that Infinity (Harman's Best Buy speaker brand) makes relatively good entry level speakers in its Primus line.

I'm mostly a fan of Harman's JBL Professional and Revel brands.
Quote:
typ44q wrote: View Post
My big complaint is the really flimsy cheap feeling volume knob that they use on their AVRs I cringe every time I touch one of them, feels like it is going to fall off in my hand. granted most people use the remote most of the time and it is a non issue but it really just gives off a cheap vibe.

Many thanks for your kind reply; especial thanks for JJ, I checked different Audyssey products and I believe they have the best combination between price and performance.
Actually I need help now to decde which is the best receiver that fit for my use. in other words, any reciever that is equivelent to HK AVR 3600 and prefearbly has more power. The HK AVR 360 sold in UAE is different from AVR 3600, which sold in US, because it has less power 55W compared to 85W in US version and still sold at $1149 against $749.

any ideas
post #6 of 17 Old 04-02-11, 08:38 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
How about the Onkyo TX-NR3008? THX Ultra2 Plus Certified, Audyssey MultEQ XT, Internet Radio, full Networked Capability, 8 HDMI Inputs, 3 Power Transformers (1 for Video, 1 for Audio, 1 for Amplifiers) All of this and it still is usually cheaper than the Denon AVR-4311.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
post #7 of 17 Old 04-02-11, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

The Onkyo TX-NR3008 in my country is overpriced, its price still rocking at $2k. If I decided to buy it from US, is there difference on Power requirement? (ex, Power in my country is AC 220v, while most US electronics AC 120v) what will happen when I connect speakers from the local market with US receiver, if it happen I bought power converter for the receiver?

I am sorry for asking too much question, because I do not want to invest a lot of $$ and could not utilize the system to its optimize power.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-02-11, 10:55 AM
Elite Shackster

Kick logic 2 da curb

I'm personally a big fan of Marantz receivers. I think out off all the Audessey brands(not including the more pricy ones like NAD and custom installer brands), they budget most of their product towards audio circuitry, and since a receiver at its core is about the audio side of things, I think the end results are clean and powerful high current, well designed amp sections and loads of available pre-out voltage. They usually lag behind the other brands in sellable "features" no doubt, but consistently get the basics right.

Not a knock on any of the other brands by any means, as most electronics in decent systems have a very similar, un-noticable effect on sound quality for the most part. I just have never felt comfortable with all the sort of features other brands offer.. it makes me wonder where they skimped is all. sounds like a primitive approach, I know. Maybe i`m wholely wrong and it`s marantz ripping me off by skimping on features and overcharging for their products. But I would certainly feel comfortable buying one of their products.

Now additionally, Yamaha`s most recent aventage line was all about the audio circuitry as well. It would have YPAO rather than Audessey, but the review I read of the RX-A3000 was impressive to say the least.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-02-11, 11:10 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
I agree about the A3000. As it stands, it is the only AVR using HQV's new Vida Video Processor which appears to be on par with Realta.

I used to own a Marantz SR-19EX which I loved. However, it weighed over 50 Pounds whereas the new Marantz's weigh about half that while offering 7 Channels compared to the 5 in my SR-19. Regardless, Marantz makes quality AVR's and I am quite fond of the SR7005.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
post #10 of 17 Old 04-02-11, 11:15 AM
Senior Shackster

I've installed both the A3000 and SR7005 on the same speaker system and they are both fantastic units, it would be a tough decision between the two especially given the similar pricing and features.

Regards to the OP, H/K units are nice units but tend to lack behind in features, I do love the logic7 that is found only on them and sister company lexicon units. But if buying today I would probably look else where.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ISF Certified, HAA Trained, THX Installer I, Crestron Level II programmer, URC and RTI trained.
And various others but too much to list.