Need pro advice on receivers and a set of speakers! - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 13 Old 07-31-12, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Need pro advice on receivers and a set of speakers!

First off - sorry if this is in the wrong area. I've never posted on here, but I've lurked for a while.

So I was at Goodwill yesterday just poking around, and found a set of speakers with a receiver for $99.00. I ended up buying it. Details below...

-Integra DTR-9.1 A/V receiver
-Polk RT3000p bookshelf / subwoofer combo
-Polk cs245i center channel
-Bag full of wires and cables and stuff

I've tested everything. The receiver seems to be working perfectly, sounds great. The bookshelf speakers and center sound great. I have one functional subwoofer, and one with a dead amp (I think). Speakers are in great condition, just a little scuffing on the cabinets.

So here's where I need your help. I need to know if it's worth parting with what I have, and keeping this equipment; or to just keep some of it and sell the rest, etc. Below is my current system..

-Samsung HW-D7000 Blu-Ray receiver
-Pioneer BS21 bookshelves
-Pioneer CS21 center channel
-Yamaha YST-SW216 subwoofer

Here's where I am on the whole situation. My current Samsung receiver has plenty of HDMI inputs, a built-in Blu-Ray player (which I rarely use), and all the latest stuff. I've never been happy with the sound from it. I'm getting better sound from the Polk's than I did the Pioneers. I hooked up my Pioneers to the Integra receiver, and got a world of different sound through them. They're being driven harder, and sound much better that what the Samsung can do with them.

I also need to know if it's worth, or even if I can, repair the amp in the one Polk sub. I know if I can fix that sub I will have a NICE set of speakers, although I'm digging the sound from the Pioneer/ Integra combo.

What would you do? I'll be selling the extra stuff.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-31-12, 04:25 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Re: Need pro advice on receivers and a set of speakers!

Hello,
Welcome to HTS. Really glad you decided to register and become a Member.
Wow. That is a huge score for $99. The DTR 9.1 is a very solid AVR and was $3200 originally. That being said, it is pre HDMI. However, given what you have, I would hook up the Integra and route the HDMI's through the TV and run Optical or Coaxial Digital Cables to the Integra.

The Speakers are quite solid as well. I would just go with what sounds best to you. I would go ahead and use dual subwoofers regardless of the decision. Given the age of the AVR and Speakers, I am not positive of what it is worth, but I do not know of any sane person who would not buy all that for $99.

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #3 of 13 Old 07-31-12, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks for the reply. I'm seriously considering keeping the Integra despite the age. It's a little powerhouse despite it's age. The Polks sound beautiful, but I do have one sub I'm not getting any output from. Gonna re-wire the subs with speaker wire instead of using the LFE and see if I get audio then. I couldn't pass it up either for $99 once I found out what I was getting.

post #4 of 13 Old 07-31-12, 09:07 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Actually come to that, provided your TV has an Optical/Coaxial Output (most do) you can connect all of your sources via HDMI to the TV and simply run 1 Optical to the AVR. That is if the TV also offers 5.1 Output as well. Again, the majority I have come across do that as well. Then you will have Video Switching and Audio that is so simple that anyone can use it.

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
post #5 of 13 Old 07-31-12, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I'm thinking my TV will only output stereo from the digital outs, but as I've never really had to put it to use...I will find out! I have technology-impaired people in my house, so the easier the better. It took my father-in-law about 3 weeks to figure out my current setup.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-31-12, 10:41 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Just tell me the model number and I should be able to find out pretty quickly.

HT
post #7 of 13 Old 08-01-12, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

It's a Philips 42PFL3704D

I've looked through the manual and FAQs before, but can't find a definitive answer on whether or not the output is 5.1 or not. I'm gonna hook it up tomorrow (too late tonight) and see if my receiver sees 5.1.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-01-12, 07:54 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Quote:
crajos wrote: View Post
It's a Philips 42PFL3704D

I've looked through the manual and FAQs before, but can't find a definitive answer on whether or not the output is 5.1 or not. I'm gonna hook it up tomorrow (too late tonight) and see if my receiver sees 5.1.
Hello,
I just finished reading the entire Owners Manual for your TV. Given it is 1080p and fairly new, I am thinking it will offer 5.1. When my Onkyo AVR was in the shop and I used a Marantz SR-19EX in its place, I did this very thing a few Summers ago. My now 4 year old KDS-55A3000 I did the exact thing I recommended to you with and it offered a 5.1 Output. If I were a betting man, I would wager it does offer this. When you find a Blu-ray Player with Multichannel Analog Outputs at Goodwill for $10, then you could even use the Lossless Codecs from BD's. (True-HD. DTS-HD, Lossless PCM)
Cheers,
JJ

HT
post #9 of 13 Old 08-01-12, 10:21 AM
Elite Shackster

Mr. Rabbit

Quote:
Jungle Jack wrote:
Actually come to that, provided your TV has an Optical/Coaxial Output (most do) you can connect all of your sources via HDMI to the TV and simply run 1 Optical to the AVR. That is if the TV also offers 5.1 Output as well. Again, the majority I have come across do that as well. Then you will have Video Switching and Audio that is so simple that anyone can use it.
Don't do that run coax or optical from each of your sources to the AVR. Most TVs down mix surround to stereo PCM when connecting through hdmi. They will pass Dolby 5.1 from OTA broadcasts only. ARC avoids this issue but the AVR you have is pre-hdmi and even if it wasn't you would have to deal with CEC.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-01-12, 11:02 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
I did give the proviso of if the TV output 5.1. I did the identical thing when my Onkyo TX-NR3007 was in the shop using a Marantz SR-19EX. While at first I ran individual OPT/Coax for each source, I went ahead and tried what I described and my Sony A3000 did provide a 5.1 Output via the Optical Output. It is certainly worth trying as it greatly simplifies things. If the Philips only provides 2.0 via the S/PDIF Output then of course each source needs to be connected to the Integra.
Cheers,
JJ

HT