Poll: Best way to spend $1500 - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

View Poll Results: Best way to spend $1500
OPTION 1: Pioneer SP-FS52: Pioneer SP-C22: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR: HSU VTF-2 MK4: Denon 1912 4 36.36%
OPTION 2: Ascend CBM-170: Ascend CBM-170: Ascend HTM-200: HSU STF-2 or Klipsch RW-12d: Denon 1912 1 9.09%
OPTION 3: Klipsch B-20: Klipsch C-20: Klipsch B-20: Klipsch RW-12d: Denon 1712 2 18.18%
OPTION 4: Infinity Primus P163: Infinity Primus PC351: Infinity Primus P163: HSU VTF-2 MK4: Denon 1912 1 9.09%
OPTION 5: HTD Level THREE: HTD Level THREE: HTD Level TWO: HSU VTF-2 MK4: Denon 1612 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

post #11 of 22 Old 10-20-12, 06:26 AM
Senior Shackster

Yoda

My System
Re: Poll: Best way to spend $1500

Quote:
27dnast wrote: View Post
Others may disagree about this, but good bass is hard to find!

Either stretch the budget, or find a way to make it work with a different set of speakers.
Nothing to disagree about here. Unless one like movies like "The Bridges of Madison County", one shouldn't skimp on a sub. Like 27dnast, I went through 4 different pair of subs before I got want I have now (which I'm satisfy with for my room size). If only I would have listen to the folks here and on other forums, I could have 4 of what I have now.

Having said that, budget is budget and I certainly understand that.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Oh and buy the way, option 5 followed by option 1 would be my choices,

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 10-20-12, 05:46 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
I would also consider SVS's S Series. They are being blown out for 50% off and combined with a VTF-2 MKiV would make for an excellent speaker array. 2 pairs of SBS-02's and an SCS-02 combined with the VTF-2 would come in well under $1500.

Another intriguing choice is the $1500 Klipsch Icon WF-35 that Newegg has for a ridiculous $538 a pair. Here is the link:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Audio-Speakers
If you could do dual 35's and the matching WC-24 with the VTF-2, it would be an amazing package.
Here is a link for the 24:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882780085

The total before shipping is $1804, but the MSRP is well over $4000 and you can spend less on an AVR due to the efficiency of the Klipschs. It would make for a fantastic HT and using identical Towers for Mains and Surrounds is something I have done for quite some time to excellent effect.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #13 of 22 Old 10-21-12, 12:28 AM
Senior Shackster

Option 1 or 5, will be solid performers as they make good stuff.
They are both good for music and movies > with no harsh, sharp
or edgy sound. Some popular name brands may need to go back
to the drawing board, with the level of performace that you will
get from #1 or 5. Mated with the HSU Sub, you will have a solid
type system, on a tight budget.

Who or Where, is The Way, Truth and Life?

Speakers - MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer - Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver - Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30

post #14 of 22 Old 10-24-12, 11:58 AM
Senior Shackster

Mark Henninger

My System

Choice #1 is an interesting value proposition. I recently acquired a pair of the Pioneer bookshelf speakers and I willingly attest to their neutrality and ability to create a full, detailed soundstage. They may be the best deal out there for a sub/satellite system and the HSU sub is a great choice - my own, personal experience is that the Pioneers can keep up with very capable subwoofers if crossed over at 80hz or above... the mid/woofer on the Pioneer is the star of the show and has great transient response... it's just that it is small. This past weekend I was thinking about using the center channel SP-C22 - turned vertical - as a bookshelf. It's 3db more efficient than the SP-BS22 and also one db more efficient than the towers.

I actually voted for the Klipsch outfit, because of the efficiency gained by using horns (about 10db). The Klipsch speakers are only drawing approx. 10 watts at the same volume where the Pioneer speakers (and the AVR driving them) are maxed out. Horn-loaded tweeters also help avoid early-reflection issues and (to my ear) are more dynamic sounding. When the speakers are properly positioned in a room, along with speaker stands, horn-loaded tweeters produce a sound-stage I tend to prefer, set in front of the speakers instead on between them. It's worth taking the downgrade on the sub and receiver in order to have a speaker system that will not be as easily taxed when it attempts to recreate cinema soundtracks and modern, highly dynamic electronic music. As great as the Pioneer speakers sound, the tweeters start to break up before optimum volumes are achieved and listener fatigue sets in - at least with anything less than a dedicated amp.

Sadly, I am not knowledgeable enough to have an opinion on the other systems in the list.

Last edited by Dub King; 10-24-12 at 03:48 PM.
post #15 of 22 Old 10-24-12, 03:44 PM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System

The review on the Andrew Jones Pioneer speaker set are very good. And nothing against HSU but I have the SVS PC12 NSD Cylinder sub and love it as another option for you.
post #16 of 22 Old 10-24-12, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

So W.A.F. played into this one, but it looks like the kind gentleman at Best Buy was able to convince her that the Pioneers are the way to go and thus I will be going with that speaker selection. He did however suggest I NOT get the HSU VTF-2 (it would drown out the speakers and costs too much) and just get 2 of the SW-8MK2 instead. Thoughts?!
post #17 of 22 Old 10-24-12, 11:21 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
I would no longer listen to advice from that gentleman at Best Buy. Cost too much and drown out the speakers?
post #18 of 22 Old 10-24-12, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Didn't make much since to me since it would be adjusted to my setup... Also, although two subs would even out where the bass is coming from, they sure as hell aren't gonna go all the way down to 18hz. He said that since I'm in an apartment, I wouldn't be able to really use it anyway. I'm not so sure since our top and bottom floor have a layer of concrete between them. Also, I would prob get an isolation mat. Definitely still want the hsu...
post #19 of 22 Old 10-25-12, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Prob going with this:

front: Pioneer SP-FS52 (x2)--
center: Pioneer SP-C22------$399 shipped TigerDirect
rear: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR----
sub: HSU VTF-2 MK4 $612 shipped
receiver: Denon 2113CI $411 shipped A4L
Total = $1422
post #20 of 22 Old 10-25-12, 12:13 AM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
yonith wrote: View Post
Prob going with this:

front: Pioneer SP-FS52 (x2)--
center: Pioneer SP-C22------$399 shipped TigerDirect
rear: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR----
sub: HSU VTF-2 MK4 $612 shipped
receiver: Denon 2113CI $411 shipped A4L
Total = $1422
That should make for a very nice setup. I've never heard the Pioneer speakers but the Andrew Jones version seem to be highly regarded.