5.1 System Poll - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

View Poll Results: Which of these is the best choice FOR ME?
MartinLogan MLT-2 5.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System - $299 6 54.55%
Pioneer SP-PK21BS 5.1 system w/ BS21's for L/R - $300 0 0%
Pioneer SP-PK21BS 5.1 system w/ BS41's for L/R - $320 5 45.45%
Energy Take Classic 5.1 system w/ Energy ESW-8 sub - Probably mid $300's or more 0 0%
Energy Take Classic 5.1 system w/ Dayton SUB-100 - $248 0 0%
Energy Take Classic 5.1 system w/ Dayton SUB-120 - $274 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

post #11 of 37 Old 10-25-12, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Jon J.

Quote:
zieglj01 wrote: View Post

...The Pioneer sub does not have a lot of high SPL
however, it has been measured down to 29hz.

My choice is the Pioneer with the BS41 bookshelf speakers, and it has a
good center channel speaker >> The BS41 will have nice bass for its size.
You can always save for a bigger subwoofer >> and use the Pioneer sub
for now.
What about using one of the Dayton subs with the Pioneer set instead of the matching Pioneer sub? I would be buying the sub separately either way and they are pretty much the same price. Would one of the previously mentioned Dayton subs match well with that system? Also, that wouldn't pose a connection issue, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 Old 10-25-12, 02:24 AM
Senior Shackster

Re: 5.1 System Poll

Quote:
JonWJ wrote: View Post
What about using one of the Dayton subs with the Pioneer set instead of the matching Pioneer sub? I would be buying the sub separately either way and they are pretty much the same price. Would one of the previously mentioned Dayton subs match well with that system? Also, that wouldn't pose a connection issue, right?
I have not listened to the Dayton sub - and I do not get excited over
Parts Express online reviews. However, I expect them to sound a little
better than some old RadioShack subwoofers. At the price, it can not
hurt to try > if you buy one, then get the 12 inch one. Hook-up should
not be a problem.

Who or Where, is The Way, Truth and Life?

Speakers - MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer - Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver - Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #13 of 37 Old 10-25-12, 05:23 AM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System
I'd go option 1 or 2. Based on your concerns about reliability, probably 2 first.... Go as big as possible.

I would, personally, avoid 3. I've heard heard that set-up and it I thought it sounded, well, pretty bad.

post #14 of 37 Old 10-25-12, 08:18 AM
Inactive

My System

Quote:
... don't [the 309 and 609] both feature the Audyssey EQ?
I searched the manual for the 309 and there's no mention of Audyssey. I agree with the previous comments that the 609 is worth the extra money if you can afford it.

Re. the 5.1 system: My vote goes to the "Pioneer SP-PK21BS 5.1 system w/ BS41's for L/R".

I don't think any of the subs listed will be particularly impressive, but as long as your AVR and speakers are decent, at least you'll only need to replace/upgrade one item in your set-up.

Last edited by 86eldel68-deactivated; 10-25-12 at 08:35 AM.
post #15 of 37 Old 10-25-12, 08:25 AM
Senior Shackster

Mark Henninger

My System

I'm concurring with the Pioneer rig, also with the larger front speakers. You gain an extra decibel of sensitivity plus higher power handling for only $20, that's an easy choice. Stereophile magazine rated those exact speakers and said that despite the low price there were no compromises made in the sound quality - they are 'a faithful transducer of music' so long as you don't expect them to break the laws of physics. That's an enormously strong recommendation from that venerable periodical.

I gave the 2012 version a try, bringing home a pair of the bookshelf models and I found them to be profoundly good for the money. Transparency is the key word. From what I have heard, the SQ is very similar but the newer models are more efficient. The efficiency boost was easy to confirm, the new models have a 2-3db advantage on the old ones.
post #16 of 37 Old 10-25-12, 08:49 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
...Oh. I compared them and I failed to notice the THX cert. Really, I put all the listed specs and features in side-by-side windows and I didn't really see any differences. I was having trouble understanding what separated the two. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they both feature the Audyssey EQ?
Of the two only the 609 has Audyssey EQ2. Like I said earlier, THX certification gives you some very useful processing modes that are not useless like many that come with receivers these days. The 609 also has a little more power and if I remember right more HDMI inputs.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #17 of 37 Old 10-25-12, 09:40 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

I am not completely sure why the need for an additional thread about the same questions. The Primus P363 from Fry's that Jerry pointed out would be absurdly better than using a HTIB. However, it seems like it is 5.1 or bust.

Especially when using a Front Projector Setup, to consider using HTIB's like the Energy Take 5 is really going to be pretty underwhelming. At $220, the P363's are simply fantastic and will provide quality bass. I wish you well in your decision and hope it provides you with years of enjoyment.

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #18 of 37 Old 10-25-12, 10:03 AM
Senior Shackster

Mark Henninger

My System

I'll chime in and say I concur. With HTIB you flirt with 'buy cheap, buy twice' whereas investing in a good pair of mains is a great starting point one can build off of. The effect you can achieve with just a pair of decent speakers should not be underestimated. Well-positioned, high quality mains can/do produce a convincing 3D soundfield and are a perfectly legitimate way to watch movies.

Quote:
Jungle Jack wrote: View Post
I am not completely sure why the need for an additional thread about the same questions. The Primus P363 from Fry's that Jerry pointed out would be absurdly better than using a HTIB. However, it seems like it is 5.1 or bust.

Especially when using a Front Projector Setup, to consider using HTIB's like the Energy Take 5 is really going to be pretty underwhelming. At $220, the P363's are simply fantastic and will provide quality bass. I wish you well in your decision and hope it provides you with years of enjoyment.
post #19 of 37 Old 10-25-12, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Jon J.

Quote:
eljay wrote: View Post
I searched the manual for the 309 and there's no mention of Audyssey. I agree with the previous comments that the 609 is worth the extra money if you can afford it.

Re. the 5.1 system: My vote goes to the "Pioneer SP-PK21BS 5.1 system w/ BS41's for L/R".

I don't think any of the subs listed will be particularly impressive, but as long as your AVR and speakers are decent, at least you'll only need to replace/upgrade one item in your set-up.
I misspoke. I meant the 360, not the 309. I thought the 360 had Audyssey.
post #20 of 37 Old 10-25-12, 11:58 AM
Inactive

My System

Quote:
I misspoke. I meant the 360, not the 309. I thought the 360 had Audyssey.
Yes, according to the owner's manual the 360 has Audyssey's:
- basic 2EQ auto-EQ solution (performs basic auto-calibration functions);
- Dynamic EQ (adjusts equalization based on volume); and
- Dynamic Volume (minimizes volume variations within a given audio stream or when switching between different audio streams).