5.1 System Poll - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

View Poll Results: Which of these is the best choice FOR ME?
MartinLogan MLT-2 5.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System - $299 6 54.55%
Pioneer SP-PK21BS 5.1 system w/ BS21's for L/R - $300 0 0%
Pioneer SP-PK21BS 5.1 system w/ BS41's for L/R - $320 5 45.45%
Energy Take Classic 5.1 system w/ Energy ESW-8 sub - Probably mid $300's or more 0 0%
Energy Take Classic 5.1 system w/ Dayton SUB-100 - $248 0 0%
Energy Take Classic 5.1 system w/ Dayton SUB-120 - $274 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

post #21 of 37 Old 10-25-12, 12:06 PM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System
Jon -

Interesting replies. Perhaps you need to step back and re-evaluate... Think about the suggestions to look away from the HTIB options.

I said before, I think you'd be happy with the RM6750 or RM705 set-up. But that is not to say that those packages or the others would somehow magically trump some legit full size speakers if you were to hear them side-by-side.

Perhaps you go with the best AVR, and full size speakers to run up front - you've gotten some suggestions. Then, buy a couple if cheap speakers or sats to run as surrounds. You'll get some surround activity... Maybe the extra beef up front would be worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 Old 10-25-12, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Jon J.

Well that looks like a good deal, but all I see is the add. I can't find the actual listing on their site, and there isn't a store located in my state. So those 2 speakers would have enough bass on their own w/o a sub? How would their bass output compare to the Pioneer sub?

Quote:
JerryLove wrote: View Post
http://www.frys.com/ads/audio-video-...ar-electronics

Primus 363 @220/pair until tomorrow night

Though there are many good speakers that have been listed, and many good packages to choose from.
post #23 of 37 Old 10-25-12, 01:13 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: 5.1 System Poll

Quote:
JonWJ wrote: View Post
Well that looks like a good deal, but all I see is the add. I can't find the actual listing on their site, and there isn't a store located in my state. So those 2 speakers would have enough bass on their own w/o a sub? How would their bass output compare to the Pioneer sub?
Trust me there is no speaker in the under $1000 price range that would have enough bass output to forgo using a sub. If you cant get a sub with those Primus speakers now your not really any farther ahead.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #24 of 37 Old 10-25-12, 01:23 PM
Senior Shackster

Mark Henninger

My System

The Primus's four 6 1/2" woofers will offer you over twice the woofer cone surface area of the single 8" in the Pioneer sub and likely a similar amount of excursion. The Primus towers have the exact same spec for bass extension as the Pioneer sub - 38 Hz. The Pioneer sub only has a 100 watt amplifier in it, and a typical receiver will send over 100 watts to each channel with the Infinity... so the Primus should have a distinct advantage in the bass department vs. the Pioneer sub mated with satellites or bookshelf speakers.

The main reason the sub might outperform the towers is placement and optimization, but spending even $50 more than the Pioneer sub opens up quite a few more options that would be more appropriate as you grow a system.

The Primus towers will also be the right height for critical listening, and you might find the bass they put out to be a bit tighter, that's been my impression listening to a good full-range dual 6 1/2 tower vs. an entry-level 8" sub/sat system.

Quote:
post #25 of 37 Old 10-25-12, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Jon J.

Well can someone please post a link to the specific item's page? I can't figure out how to order those Infinity speakers from that website. Thanks!
post #26 of 37 Old 10-25-12, 03:17 PM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

That 609 unit... a buddy of mine bought one at accessories4less. I helped him set it up. As an amp for powering speakers, works fine. I have to say, tho, the Audd. on it is pretty stripped down and bare-bones. Don't expect a lot from it. Once it was done setting channel levels, I went through and manually checked it's results with a SPL meter... I was surprised at how off some of the settings were. They were all over the map.

Anyhow, in the less expensive units, the EQ packages aren't something that I would necessarily sweat too much over... not trying to say they aren't nice to have... just wanted to relay my experience.
post #27 of 37 Old 10-25-12, 04:34 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Well can someone please post a link to the specific item's page? I can't figure out how to order those Infinity speakers from that website. Thanks!
So you are going to mainly buy based on size and specs of tower speakers,
over other towers and large set-ups, before general sound quality? > Well,
at least it will be better than HTIB sound systems.

Who or Where, is The Way, Truth and Life?

Speakers - MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer - Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver - Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #28 of 37 Old 10-25-12, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Jon J.

Quote:
zieglj01 wrote: View Post
So you are going to mainly buy based on size and specs of tower speakers,
over other towers and large set-ups, before general sound quality? > Well,
at least it will be better than HTIB sound systems.
Well I guess I'm not going to buy them either way. I called Fry's and that special is in-store only, and there isn't a Fry's in my state. That's okay though. Once I paid to have those monsters shipped I would have probably been up near $300. Then I would still at least need a decent sub. So even then I would probably be in the $400+ range with a 2.1 system (albeit a good 2.1 system).

I think I'm fine with the Pioneers. I'm not really an audiophile, so I'm confident with all the good reviews I've read about them that they will sound 100 times better than any speakers I've ever owned. I know they won't compete with the rigs that you guys have, but I was never going for that with my budget. My newbie ears won't know what I'm missing, and I'm sure I'll be perfectly satisfied with them. My only reservation is the whole speaker placement/mounting issue. I'll probably make them work for now and just keep an eye out for cheap speaker stands on ebay/craigslist/yard sales. Or maybe make my own eventually.

The Martin Logan's are intriguing at that price, but I'm just a little uneasy about their quality and shipping based on what I've read. I know the brand used to be great, but Idk if this set lives up to that. I don't want to risk it.

I'm just gonna take a quick browse around the net and see if there is some option I've overlooked that jumps out at me. Otherwise, I'll probably order them tonight before the Newegg promo ends.

I guess my only other question at this point would be what I asked about earlier. Would it be better to buy the Dayton sub that some of you guys like, or the matching Pioneer sub?

Thanks everyone. I'll be around to talk about AVRs some more...and how to best configure all of this of course.
post #29 of 37 Old 10-25-12, 07:08 PM
Senior Shackster

Mark Henninger

My System

The Pioneer speakers do in fact make audiophiles (including myself) happy, that's what's so great about them!

Gotta go with this Dayton sub over the Pioneer: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-629

Quote:
Well I guess I'm not going to buy them either way. I called Fry's and that special is in-store only, and there isn't a Fry's in my state. That's okay though. Once I paid to have those monsters shipped I would have probably been up near $300. Then I would still at least need a decent sub. So even then I would probably be in the $400+ range with a 2.1 system (albeit a good 2.1 system).

I think I'm fine with the Pioneers. I'm not really an audiophile, so I'm confident with all the good reviews I've read about them that they will sound 100 times better than any speakers I've ever owned. I know they won't compete with the rigs that you guys have, but I was never going for that with my budget. My newbie ears won't know what I'm missing, and I'm sure I'll be perfectly satisfied with them. My only reservation is the whole speaker placement/mounting issue. I'll probably make them work for now and just keep an eye out for cheap speaker stands on ebay/craigslist/yard sales. Or maybe make my own eventually.

The Martin Logan's are intriguing at that price, but I'm just a little uneasy about their quality and shipping based on what I've read. I know the brand used to be great, but Idk if this set lives up to that. I don't want to risk it.

I'm just gonna take a quick browse around the net and see if there is some option I've overlooked that jumps out at me. Otherwise, I'll probably order them tonight before the Newegg promo ends.

I guess my only other question at this point would be what I asked about earlier. Would it be better to buy the Dayton sub that some of you guys like, or the matching Pioneer sub?

Thanks everyone. I'll be around to talk about AVRs some more...and how to best configure all of this of course.
post #30 of 37 Old 10-25-12, 07:52 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269036

The Pioneer speakers with the BS41 will do a good job for you - I for sure will take
the BS41 and C21, over the Martin Logan/Paradigm smaller speakers. You are in for
an ear and eye opener, if you buy them >> Know need to be a so-called audiophile,
to enjoy the Pioneer speakers. For one on a tight budget the Dayton 1200, looks
like it might be a decent option to try. This would be a big step up for you.

Who or Where, is The Way, Truth and Life?

Speakers - MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer - Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver - Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30

Last edited by zieglj01; 10-25-12 at 08:00 PM.