5.1 System Poll - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

View Poll Results: Which of these is the best choice FOR ME?
MartinLogan MLT-2 5.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System - $299 6 54.55%
Pioneer SP-PK21BS 5.1 system w/ BS21's for L/R - $300 0 0%
Pioneer SP-PK21BS 5.1 system w/ BS41's for L/R - $320 5 45.45%
Energy Take Classic 5.1 system w/ Energy ESW-8 sub - Probably mid $300's or more 0 0%
Energy Take Classic 5.1 system w/ Dayton SUB-100 - $248 0 0%
Energy Take Classic 5.1 system w/ Dayton SUB-120 - $274 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 37 Old 10-24-12, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Jon J.

5.1 System Poll

Okay. We discussed my system in general in this thread, and after much advice and consideration of my specific circumstances, I have narrowed it down to 3 different 5.1 systems (with a couple variations of them). Please vote and/or comment on which of these you think is the best option. I understand that you might prefer to spend this amount of money in a completely different way (2.1 system, etc), but please give me feedback about which of the specific options listed you think is best for me and maybe why you think so. Thanks guys. You have already been very helpful.

Note: The last option should say SUB-120, not 125. Idk how to edit the options' text now that I posted the poll.

Edit: I hope posting about another thread like this is okay

Last edited by JonWJ; 10-25-12 at 12:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 10-24-12, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Jon J.

Re: 5.1 System Poll

Here's more details about the options:

Quote:
JonWJ wrote: View Post
Okay guys, I know I've probably driven you crazy so far, but one last speaker question and then I'll make my decision and then start annoying you about AVRs. I have definitely narrowed it down to 3 different, similarly priced speaker packages, and each having possible pro's and con's. I need your input within the next day or so and in order to make my final speaker decision. Here's the options (Not necessarily in any particular order):

Option A:
  • MartinLogan MLT-2 5.1CH Home Theater Speaker System
  • Here it is
  • $299 on Newegg until 10/26 (Normally $499)
  • Pro's: Seems like a steal compared to the normal price. Larger system. Easily wall-mountable w/o extra hardware (also, don't appear to have rear bass ports). The ML name and reputation(?)
  • Con's: Sounds too good to be true (why sell a $1000 MSRP set for $299?). A fair number of Newegg customers complained of long-term reliability issues and received damaged products due to poor manufacturer packaging. There was talk of these not being true ML quality, but poor quality Chinese builds backed by the ML name. Basically I'm concerned that this speaker set doesn't live up to ML's reputation.
  • In spite of my concerns, I know that even the best products will get poor customer reviews, and that a few poor reviews always get more attention than many good reviews.

Option B:
  • Pioneer SP-PK21BS 5.1 system (Would have to piece together the set. Can't find the whole package together, but that's okay)
  • Very highly regarded by CNET - Take a second to skim the review
  • Could build it using either the smaller, reviewed SP-BS21-LR speakers in the front, or the larger SP-BS41-LR's up front and the SP-BS21-LR for the surrounds
  • The center channel is the SP-C21, and the surround is the SW-8.
  • Price if using 4 of the smaller SP-BS21-LR's = $299.50
  • Price if using 2 of the larger SP-BS41-LR's = $319.50
  • Pro's: Very good reviews on CNET. Fairly well-respected brand. Decent price and easy to find the various speakers online.
  • Con's: Pretty big (not necessarily a con, but...). Not easy/possible to mount, and if I wanted to mount on a wall, may block rear bass ports. Smaller speakers and sub than the ML system (But the SP-PK41's are bigger than the ML surrounds).
  • I like these a lot, but I wonder if the ML system is a better deal. Also, the whole mounting issue would be a little annoying.

Option C:
  • Energy Take Classic 5.1 system (Will probably have to buy the 5.0 system and the sub seprately.)
  • The 5.0 system is on sale for $150 on Newegg until 10/26 (Normally $200)
  • Would have to add the highly-touted Energy ESW-8 200W 8" sub (kind of pricey/hard to find) or a different sub.
  • Could add the previously recommended Dayton sub for $98 (10 125W SUB-100) or $124 (12 150W SUB-120)
  • Total price would be $250-$300+, depending on the sub I used.
  • Pro's: Very highly regarded on CNET (This review talks about these two sets. Editor's pick 2011). Small, stylish system. Easy to mount. Might be the best of both worlds - Definitely are considered good quality, and are smaller and easier to mount than the Pioneer set.
  • Con's: Although the sound is great for a small set, it can't keep up with larger speakers at high volume (I don't anticipate being extremely concerned about high volume, but you never know and it plays into the decision). The matching sub is hard to find at a good price, and I'm unsure how well a different sub will match with the set (CNET attributes the set's great sound mostly to the ESW-8 sub and how well it's matched to the speakers). These also have rear bass ports, so wall-mounting might affect the SQ a bit.
  • I'm not sure what to think of this option. The look, mounting convenience, and price are a plus, but Idk if it's worth sacrificing a little SQ, or if it would even be a noticeable SQ difference for my purposes.

Please take just minute to read this and tell me which option of the 3 you would go with if you were in my shoes and maybe a sentence or two why. I would really appreciate it.
post #3 of 37 Old 10-24-12, 09:42 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

I vote for Option 1 only because of the big discount. none of the other speaker packages have a good a sub with them and thats where a big part of the dynamics for movies come into play.

My only concern is what are you going to use to power the speakers, did you decide on a receiver?

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #4 of 37 Old 10-24-12, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Jon J.

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
My only concern is what are you going to use to power the speakers, did you decide on a receiver?
I'm kind of leaning toward the Onkyo HT-RC360 right now. I'm sure it can handle any of those speaker systems, right? I'm just not sure if it's the best match for my speakers and projector, or if there is a cheaper option that will perform just as well with my lower-tear equipment. It might be overkill for my stuff. But I figured I would pick the speakers and then figure all that out. Although I know the AVR is the heart of the rig, it seems like deciding on a speaker setup is a little tougher at my budget level. There are so many options.
post #5 of 37 Old 10-24-12, 10:05 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Try not to get to caught up i the numbers and specifications, its not easy on a small budget and i understand. the onkyo will do just fin. If you can push that budget for the receiver about $50 the Onkyo 609 gives you alot more including Audyssey auto room EQ and THX certification meaning some very useful processing modes.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #6 of 37 Old 10-24-12, 10:10 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
Try not to get to caught up i the numbers and specifications, its not easy on a small budget and i understand. the onkyo will do just fin. If you can push that budget for the receiver about $50 the Onkyo 609 gives you alot more including Audyssey auto room EQ and THX certification meaning some very useful processing modes.
^^^ +1
post #7 of 37 Old 10-24-12, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Jon J.

Quote:
...Oh. I compared them and I failed to notice the THX cert. Really, I put all the listed specs and features in side-by-side windows and I didn't really see any differences. I was having trouble understanding what separated the two. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they both feature the Audyssey EQ?
post #8 of 37 Old 10-24-12, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Jon J.

39 views and 2 different members responding, but only one vote so far. Come on guys, each of those options involve Newegg promos that only last until the 26th (Friday!)
post #9 of 37 Old 10-24-12, 11:09 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
I would agree that going with the 609 would be a wise choice and it's not that far outside of your budget. I'm not personally a big fan of HTIB regardless of the brand name but if that's the route you've chosen then so be it. I would strongly suggest the option Jack provided earlier with the SVS package. You would be much happier in the long run. That's my vote.
post #10 of 37 Old 10-25-12, 12:01 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
JonWJ wrote: View Post
39 views and 2 different members responding, but only one vote so far. Come on guys, each of those options involve Newegg promos that only last until the 26th (Friday!)
I do not put a lot of weight in CNET or Amazon reviews. I like to eat
the fish and spit out the bones.

The Martin Logan is pretty much Paradigm >> however that is a small
center speaker, and also has been stated more than once, that it does
not blend real well with the front channels. The positive side, it has a
somewhat bigger sub. The Pioneer sub does not have a lot of high SPL
however, it has been measured down to 29hz.

My choice is the Pioneer with the BS41 bookshelf speakers, and it has a
good center channel speaker >> The BS41 will have nice bass for its size.
You can always save for a bigger subwoofer >> and use the Pioneer sub
for now.

The Energy set looks like it will do pretty good in a walk-in closet. Small
speakers can sound nice - however, the sound will still be small.

Who or Where, is The Way, Truth and Life?

Speakers - MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer - Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver - Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30