First HT - $600 budget - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 19 Old 06-22-13, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

First HT - $600 budget

Hi everyone. I'm from Brazil, and here the prices of a good HT system are simply prohibitive... so, i'm going to
NY next month, and I'd like to buy some good equipment there. But I understand nothing about the technicalities,
so I'm looking for some guidance. My budget is around 600 dollars, but I don't know if its better to buy a complete ht (like the onkyo s5600, for exemple) or to buy a receiver and the speakers separately. The main purpose of the system would be to plug my ps3 (and soon, my ps4!!). I'd also like some wifi connection, to stream some Spotify music to the receiver. At the moment, I have a Philips 32pfl8606 tv (I don't know if the model is the same in USA) and a pretty mediocre ht from Samsung (don't remember the model) with a dvd player.

My room is pretty small, and the shape is not good for putting the rear speakers in the right place. So, I have to put all of them in the front.... It would be great to have the possibility of using some adapter to connect the rear speakers via wifi. But I don't know if that would mess with the sound quality. And I don't mind if the system is 5.1 or 7.1. And since I will be connecting two videogames, it has to have two hdmi outputs, right? if possible, 1.4 arc.

So, based on that, I'd appreciate some help of you guys. Thanks a lot.

P.S.: could you also give me some advice about the best audio connection for the ps3? I've heard that the optical is better than the HDMI, is that true?

Last edited by romuloxr; 06-23-13 at 12:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-25-13, 10:05 AM
Shackster

Re: First HT - $600 budget

If you aren't able to place the surround speakers in an optimum location then you might be better off just building a stereo system. Just get a receiver and a nice set of fronts and maybe a sub if budget allows. This will give you better sound for music than most Htib will, and if you aren't setting up your surrounds in a normal surround manor it kind of defeats the purpose of having them.
post #3 of 19 Old 06-25-13, 10:33 AM
Shackster

My System

According a Google Search, both optical and HDMI connections support 5.1 surround with only HDMI supporting 7.1 surround.
http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...diooutput.html

Where in NY will you be shopping? NYC area? Other?

post #4 of 19 Old 06-25-13, 10:43 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Considering you will have to ship this back with you to Brazil and your living spaces are generally smaller than ours. A HTIB system would be just fine. The Onkyo HTIB systems particularly the upper tear ones like the Onkyo HT-S9400 and the Onkyo HT-S7500

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #5 of 19 Old 06-25-13, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I'm staying in Manhattan, so I was thinking of buying at the B&H photo, or maybe online at accessories 4 less. Although, I don't know if refurbished is a good choice for me, because I can't rely on any type of warranty, since I'm no U.S. resident.

After doing some math, I noticed that my budget could be 800 dollars, so it gives me some more options...
What dou you guys think about the combination: onkyo tx nr-626 (or the 616) + klipsch hd 500 (5 speakers + sub)?

The problem with the surrounds is that if I put them in the optimal position, the wires would be crossing the floor, so I would need some wireless
adapter to make put the surrounds, but I don't know how to do that, and if it can be done with any speakers and receivers...

Last edited by romuloxr; 06-25-13 at 02:32 PM.
post #6 of 19 Old 06-25-13, 02:22 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

You wont get any warranty even if its new given you will be bringing it into Brazil. Accessories4less is a very good place I have bought several items from them and not had any issues.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #7 of 19 Old 07-02-13, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Well, seems my budget increased a little (again lol) - thing is: I have to make a quick decision, since Im going to buy this system next week. So, I did some search of other brands, and I'm leaning to buy the Marantz nr1504. I've seen some good reviews and opinions about the Pioneer sp-pk52fs speaker system, but also about the martin logan mlt-2's... So, what dou you guys think? The ML or the Pioneer? And if I go with the Pioneer, should I replace the sub with the BIC F12? And most important: would any of these setups work fine with the marantz? Thanks to all of you!

Edit: my budget is now at 1000-1200 dollars, maximum.
post #8 of 19 Old 07-02-13, 04:20 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Mark

My System

I think the Marantz and Pioneer would give you a pretty nice Home Theater for the price. Don't know much about the Pioneer or Bic F12 subs but I would guess the 12" F12 would out perform the 8" Pioneer.

Mark
post #9 of 19 Old 07-02-13, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
nova wrote: View Post
I think the Marantz and Pioneer would give you a pretty nice Home Theater for the price. Don't know much about the Pioneer or Bic F12 subs but I would guess the 12" F12 would out perform the 8" Pioneer.
The pioneers are 6 ohms and the bic sub is 8 ohms. Is there any problem to use them together?
post #10 of 19 Old 07-02-13, 06:24 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Welcome to Home Theater Shack. We hope that you will become part of the HTS community and enjoy both contributing to help others and find value in what others have posted.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.