My dilemma. Need advise bad im going insane. - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 06-27-13, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 63
My dilemma. Need advise bad im going insane.

I've got b&w dm-7 (200w at 8 ohms) for fronts, b&w dm302's (100w at 8 ohms) for rears and no center as of yet. Looking to get an hd33 for projector and I have Xbox and ps3 an Apple TV.

I was thinking emotiva's XPA-5 (200w x 5 at 8 ohms $809) and UMC-200 (7.1 $599). Read some poor reviews with the UMC-200 and the two together are too expensive.

I can get the Denon 3808ci for $400 cash and then maybe buy an amp that can power my fronts. Trying to keep the cost low. I heard that the 3808ci may have hdmi issues. I'm not sure how the receiver hdmi in and out work. Am I better to go straight from the source instead of through the receiver first? Ie ps3 to hd33?

Should I just buy a receiver that can output the full 200w per channel at 8 ohms. I'm trying to figure this out and it's making me loose sleep and waste time at work!

Please help!
SeanMc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 35 Old 06-27-13, 08:47 AM
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 578
My System
Re: My dilemma. Need advise bad im going insane.

IMO, start with a well-equipped and well-rated Marantz SR5007 ($599, shipped, at Amazon.com).

Use it to power your mains + CC speaker, and add an Emotiva UPA-200 (reg. $349, shipped; currently $299, shipped) for your surrounds.

- OR -

Alternatively, get an Emotiva XPA-200 (reg. $499. shipped; currently $429, shipped) to run your mains, and use the Marantz for everything else.

Last edited by 86eldel68-deactivated; 06-27-13 at 10:04 AM.
86eldel68-deactivated is offline  
post #3 of 35 Old 06-27-13, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 63
Quote:
eljay wrote: View Post
IMO, start with a well-equipped and well-rated Marantz SR5007 ($599, shipped, at Amazon.com).

Use it to power your mains + CC speaker, and add an Emotiva UPA-200 (reg. $349, shipped; currently $299, shipped) for your surrounds.

- OR -

Alternatively, get an Emotiva XPA-200 (reg. $499. shipped; currently $429, shipped) to run your mains, and use the Marantz for everything else.
If I were to go with the XPA-5 is there a receiver that focuses on video, and audio boosts etc and doesn't have any watts like the umc-200? The umc doesn't give me what I'm looking for in a receiver like 4k and fancy stuff like that.

Sorry for noob ish comments
SeanMc is offline  
 
post #4 of 35 Old 06-28-13, 10:02 AM
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 578
My System
Re: My dilemma. Need advise bad im going insane.

I don't know of any receivers that can by-pass their amp sections, but if you can get an AVR that has the features you want for a good price, there's no reason to overlook it just because it happens to have an amplification section.

(The SR5007 + an XPA-3 - as you ask about in your latest thread - would be a great combo, IMO.)
86eldel68-deactivated is offline  
post #5 of 35 Old 06-28-13, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 63
Quote:
eljay wrote: View Post
I don't know of any receivers that can by-pass their amp sections, but if you can get an AVR that has the features you want for a good price, there's no reason to overlook it just because it happens to have an amplification section.

(The SR5007 + an XPA-3 - as you ask about in your latest thread - would be a great combo, IMO.)
Thanks eljay. It's really not easy making decisions like this!
SeanMc is offline  
post #6 of 35 Old 06-28-13, 05:43 PM
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 578
My System
Re: My dilemma. Need advise bad im going insane.

FWIW, when I was AVR shopping a few years ago, my goal was to find a receiver within my budget range that had the features I wanted AND multi-channel outputs in case I needed external amplification. If I were AVR shopping today, that's exactly how I'd go about it again.

And if I had the cash, I'd buy a Denon AVR-4311 (~$1,600 on Amazon.com), because it has everything I could possibly want, including Audyssey MultEQ XT32 w/ Sub EQ HT. Given a relatively more modest budget, the SR5007 would be my next choice.

Just my 2, and YMMV.
86eldel68-deactivated is offline  
post #7 of 35 Old 06-29-13, 12:56 AM
Elite Shackster
Charlie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 2,539
My System
Re: My dilemma. Need advise bad im going insane.

The dm7 speakers specs are stated in a very interesting manner. Per the B&W support page they state 8 ohms throughout the operating range (this is very good) and 95 dB SPL at 10V rms at 1 meter.
That works out to be 12.5 watts.
Most speakers today are rated at 2.83V (or 1 watt). So these speakers are about 84-85 dB SPL at 1 watt at 1 meter.
depending on how loud you want to listen any good mid range AVR should get the job done.
chashint is offline  
post #8 of 35 Old 06-29-13, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 63
Quote:
chashint wrote: View Post
The dm7 speakers specs are stated in a very interesting manner. Per the B&W support page they state 8 ohms throughout the operating range (this is very good) and 95 dB SPL at 10V rms at 1 meter.
That works out to be 12.5 watts.
Most speakers today are rated at 2.83V (or 1 watt). So these speakers are about 84-85 dB SPL at 1 watt at 1 meter.
depending on how loud you want to listen any good mid range AVR should get the job done.
I don't just want to get the job done I want it to get the most out of them. Would the amp add much better sound or am I wasting my money?
SeanMc is offline  
post #9 of 35 Old 06-29-13, 06:46 PM
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 578
My System
Re: My dilemma. Need advise bad im going insane.

IMO: If you have a good receiver (AVR), the benefit of external amplification is only really evident if you play your system at fairly loud volumes, where the AVR alone might be "running out of steam" trying to power five or seven speakers. At low to moderate volumes, the benefit is minimal to negligible, so you likely wouldn't notice any.

If you can swing the SR5007 + XPA3, go for it. You'll be set for up to seven-channel audio, no worries, no regrets.
86eldel68-deactivated is offline  
post #10 of 35 Old 06-29-13, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 63
Quote:
eljay wrote: View Post
IMO: If you have a good receiver (AVR), the benefit of external amplification is only really evident if you play your system at fairly loud volumes, where the AVR alone might be "running out of steam" trying to power five or seven speakers. At low to moderate volumes, the benefit is minimal to negligible, so you likely wouldn't notice any.

If you can swing the SR5007 + XPA3, go for it. You'll be set for up to seven-channel audio, no worries, no regrets.
The DM7's are a 200 watt speaker. Are you saying that the speaker will sound no different at 120 watts compared to say 80 watts? I wouldn't buy the XPA-3 if ill get the same sound quality with the sr5007. I guess my question is, how loud do I need to be listening to the speakers before i need more than 80+ watts to power them. Surely a 200 watt speaker needs more than 100 watts to sound nice at a normal movie watching volume.
SeanMc is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advise , bad , dilemma , insane

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome