New Setup From Scratch (Pics included) - $3,000 budget - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 13 Old 11-20-13, 06:46 PM
Elite Shackster

Brandon

My System
Samsung has many deals going on for Black Friday till cyber Monday. I think the 6300 series is around $400 cheaper than the one you listed,but its a lower model I didn't check the differences but if you can see them both before you buy you may like the savings more than the picture. We recently bought a Samsung F-8500 it's a great display and I'm not sure if I could really tell the difference between a model half the price or not. Many of the displays today seem to all look very good I would check them out in store and get the remote and go to town checking them out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 Old 11-20-13, 06:53 PM
Elite Shackster

Brandon

My System
You may want to check out Accessories 4 less. Many members have used them and they have many great deals.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-24-13, 09:50 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Re: New Setup From Scratch (Pics included) - $3,000 budget

Quote:
motion732 wrote: View Post
All,

Building a home theater basically from scratch, for this room: http://imgur.com/a/kK63F

My budget is $3,000, possibly +, only if I absolutely have to push it. The goal is to produce a very full, rich sound that is balanced. I don't need an excessively bass-y system, however, it would be nice to have some kick. I primarily watch sports and movies and plan to listen to some music as well. I eventually plan to add speakers in the kitchen and outdoor. Whether or not they're configured with this system is up in the air. Sonos is an option I'm considering. Anyway, here's what I'm currently looking at:

TV

Since the room is so bright, I've decided to go with an LED TV, most likely this Samsung 60" 7100 Series: http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN60F7100AFXZA. They're listing the price as $1800 but it will be on sale at Best Buy for BF at $1,597. Would have loved to go with a Panasonic ST60 but I think the room will be too bright for the TV. I am certainly open to suggestions for other TVs.

SPEAKERS

Thinking to start with a 2.0 setup and over time, progress my way into a full 5.1. Looking to go with tower speakers, specifically these Polks:

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-TSx...eywords=tsx440

They're listed everywhere for $350ea, however, this deal on Amazon seems pretty solid at $262.

Will probably upgrade from the 2.0 to a 3.1, with this center channel: http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-TSx...ywords=tsx250c

No ideas for sub and surround speakers as of yet. Wiring is going to be an issue for the surround. They are further down the road.

RECEIVER

Definitely lacking knowledge in this department, but found this Onkyo at accessories4less: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

What i'm worried about is powering the speakers sufficiently without spending an insane amount of money on a receiver.

Any advice/suggestions would be great.
Hello,
I applaud your plan of action and have no doubt you are going to have a great sounding HT. To sublimate the instant gratification of not having 5.1 for the righteous path of placing max importance on speaker quality is quite rarely seen.

The 717 would be a solid choice as it is one of the least expensive AVR's that offers preamp outputs. Have you had a chance to listen to some Polks? Your budget is good enough where most brands are on the table. I would start auditioning speakers if you haven't already. Speakers like Klipsch are obscenely efficient and you can rock the casbah with a clock radio.
Cheers,
Jack

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910