New Setup From Scratch (Pics included) - $3,000 budget - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 13 Old 11-19-13, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

New Setup From Scratch (Pics included) - $3,000 budget

All,

Building a home theater basically from scratch, for this room: http://imgur.com/a/kK63F

My budget is $3,000, possibly +, only if I absolutely have to push it. The goal is to produce a very full, rich sound that is balanced. I don't need an excessively bass-y system, however, it would be nice to have some kick. I primarily watch sports and movies and plan to listen to some music as well. I eventually plan to add speakers in the kitchen and outdoor. Whether or not they're configured with this system is up in the air. Sonos is an option I'm considering. Anyway, here's what I'm currently looking at:

TV

Since the room is so bright, I've decided to go with an LED TV, most likely this Samsung 60" 7100 Series: http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN60F7100AFXZA. They're listing the price as $1800 but it will be on sale at Best Buy for BF at $1,597. Would have loved to go with a Panasonic ST60 but I think the room will be too bright for the TV. I am certainly open to suggestions for other TVs.

SPEAKERS

Thinking to start with a 2.0 setup and over time, progress my way into a full 5.1. Looking to go with tower speakers, specifically these Polks:

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-TSx...eywords=tsx440

They're listed everywhere for $350ea, however, this deal on Amazon seems pretty solid at $262.

Will probably upgrade from the 2.0 to a 3.1, with this center channel: http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-TSx...ywords=tsx250c

No ideas for sub and surround speakers as of yet. Wiring is going to be an issue for the surround. They are further down the road.

RECEIVER

Definitely lacking knowledge in this department, but found this Onkyo at accessories4less: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

What i'm worried about is powering the speakers sufficiently without spending an insane amount of money on a receiver.

Any advice/suggestions would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-19-13, 07:34 PM
Senior Shackster

Is there a certain reason your leaning towards the Polk speakers?
post #3 of 13 Old 11-19-13, 08:05 PM
Elite Shackster

Brandon

My System
I think your being smart starting small and adding as budget allows. I would suggest looking at used speakers you can save a lot of cash and higher end products if your willing. Just make sure you listen and like any speakers before you buy them.

post #4 of 13 Old 11-19-13, 08:07 PM
Senior Shackster

Alex

I believe you will be told quite a lot that you can do better for your money then Polk. I myself have purchased Polk and use them now. They are simply ok, they do what their cost states.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-19-13, 08:25 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System
Re: New Setup From Scratch (Pics included) - $3,000 budget

Quote:
motion732 wrote: View Post
Since the room is so bright, I've decided to go with an LED TV, most likely this Samsung 60" 7100 Series:
If your room is bright I would look at plasma's instead. They have greater contrast ratio, something that should be quite beneficial in a situation like that.

Quote:
Thinking to start with a 2.0 setup and over time, progress my way into a full 5.1.
Since you'll predominately be watching TV and movies I'd suggest starting with a 3.1 setup. With that you will get a good part of the soundtrack, whereas 2.0 is more like amplifying the TV's own speakers. It will sound better than plain TV speakers of course, but you won't be able to avail yourself of Dolby or DTS.

What size is your room (HWD)? That plays an integral part when deciding what speakers and subwoofer(s) to purchase.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #6 of 13 Old 11-19-13, 09:55 PM
Senior Shackster
Jeff Grucella

My System

I agree on the suggestion of used speakers like stated before you can get a better grade of speaker for less, I'v bought used with great success in fact my 9 speakers I have now are used and I'v had them for a decade now with out a single problem and they look near new .
post #7 of 13 Old 11-20-13, 05:44 AM
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

You may wish to consider HSU Research. They offer package deals with bookshelf speakers along with high-quality subwoofers. Check out this link and see if the prices are within your budget:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/packages.html

I have not heard their bookshelf speakers, but the reviews have been very positive. I own five of their subwoofers and can attest to the high quality.

Hug your pet today!
post #8 of 13 Old 11-20-13, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thank you for the replies, everyone. I'll address them:

Quote:
Is there a certain reason your leaning towards the Polk speakers?
I was referred to them by a representative at Crutchfield. They're pretty new and I've had trouble finding reviews. Should I expand my speaker search?

As far as used speakers, I'd prefer to go the new route. I would, however, consider refurbished.

Quote:
Since you'll predominately be watching TV and movies I'd suggest starting with a 3.1 setup. With that you will get a good part of the soundtrack, whereas 2.0 is more like amplifying the TV's own speakers. It will sound better than plain TV speakers of course, but you won't be able to avail yourself of Dolby or DTS.

What size is your room (HWD)? That plays an integral part when deciding what speakers and subwoofer(s) to purchase.
I think this a good idea and the more I think about it, the more I really believe that's the direction i'll go for. As far as measurements, I'm at work now and will certainly give a measure when I get home. If I had to guestimate, I'd say 19x13x8, with the 19' wall being the TV wall and the opposite 19' wall being the couch wall.

One of my biggest worries is underpowering the speakers. I am now even considering this Onkyo 818, which has seemed to be the source of much debate on this forum.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-20-13, 09:50 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
I think this a good idea and the more I think about it, the more I really believe that's the direction i'll go for. As far as measurements, I'm at work now and will certainly give a measure when I get home. If I had to guestimate, I'd say 19x13x8, with the 19' wall being the TV wall and the opposite 19' wall being the couch wall.
Your room is less than 2000 ft^3, so it isn't terribly large. Any decent set of tower speakers, and their equivalent center, should be able to perform very well.

Quote:
One of my biggest worries is underpowering the speakers. I am now even considering this Onkyo 818, which has seemed to be the source of much debate on this forum.
In order to have underpowered speakers there needs to be a mismatch between their efficiency and the amplifier power. If you have only 50 watts per channel, but the speakers are 95dB efficient, then 50 watts is fine. If you have the same wattage, with speakers that are 85dB efficient, then you'll have a problem. It's a balancing act really. Having more power is never a bad thing, but depending upon what speakers you're looking at it may not be completely necessary.

Assuming you have about $1,500 to spend on a 3.1 system, here are a few possibilities...

Speakers
Subwoofers
You can mix and match speakers with subwoofers in whatever manner you see fit - all combinations would work just fine.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #10 of 13 Old 11-20-13, 09:55 AM
Senior Shackster
Jeff Grucella

My System

it would be best if it's at all possible to have things like TV speakers on the 13' wall and the seating on the opposite 13' wall you'll get better sound especially when you go up to a 5.1 setup, the biggest thing about under-power is if you like to play it loud and your clipping your receiver power output to the speakers , if you find that your always turning your volume knob way past half way it's time to get more power

Last edited by flamingeye; 11-20-13 at 10:05 AM.