Seeking advice with Emotiva pre-amp, Emotiva amp, white van speakers and bass performance - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 16 Old 12-24-13, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Seeking advice with Emotiva pre-amp, Emotiva amp, white van speakers and bass performance

I've been running some white van loudspeakers (DigitalAudio Cinema Series II) since around 2002. They're rated at 400 watts @ 8ohms, and 90db. I believe the ratings are per-speaker, as it's what is stated on each casing. I am trying to replicate the sound & bass quality I previously achieved with a setup described below. I purchased an Emotiva USP-1 and an Emotiva UPA-200. I'm not sure if I made the right decision.

I wired up the pre-amp & amp and the speakers are cranking. My problem is these devices have no equalizer controls. I'd like to put much more energy into the low end, as I am a bass enthusiast. I'm not sure what the best way to solve this is, do I buy a powered EQ? Get a different amp set up? Ditch the old speakers?

I would've thought the equipment I bought would include some sort of EQ ability, but I guess not. Right now I'm limited to maxing out the bass in the iTunes EQ, which is a lousy approach.

Before replying, consider that I've thoroughly enjoyed these speakers and never felt ripped off for the price I paid. They are used in my basement bar area, where true audiophile quality is not required, just loud music with great bass.

Some additional history for those interested. At one point, I had 2 MTX Thunders powering the speakers, one mounted on the back of each speaker. Each amp was running bridged and heavily powered. I could control the bass to fine detail using the Thunder EQ (Variable Bass Boost (0-18dB) centered at 40Hz). The result was hard-hitting bass at all db levels, the speakers didn't just shake up the house, but also 20ft. away. That's what I'm hoping to have again.

Last edited by bradgreens; 12-24-13 at 01:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-24-13, 02:59 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Seeking advice with Emotiva pre-amp, Emotiva amp, white van speakers and bass performance

For EQ your going to want to use a stereo one that's simply placed in between the processor and the amp. There are many eqs on ebay that will do the job just fine.
Those speakers may have large woofers but I would not push them to hard as they are not well built and 400watts is a big stretch.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #3 of 16 Old 12-24-13, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: Seeking advice with Emotiva pre-amp, Emotiva amp, white van speakers and bass performance

Something like this PylePro PPEQ-150?

I'm also wondering if this setup just sounds silly. I could probably use an integrated amp with some standard bass-boost features right? I bought the Emotiva equipment hoping I was keeping everything at high quality. But to have to introduce a third device now has left me re-thinking this audio stack. If I can solve the problem now with a $100 EQ I will. I'm generally not concerned if I manage to blow the speakers. If that happens I'll probably be asking what to do with this killer equipment I bought.

Can anyone share resources about the whole pre-amp/eq/amp stacks are meant to work? This is exploratory for me and I've only had integrated amps in the pass for my main home audio setups.

Last edited by bradgreens; 12-24-13 at 04:45 PM.

post #4 of 16 Old 12-24-13, 04:42 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

No, Pyle is junk. I would look at something like this.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/yamaha-q2031-...a2de80d&_uhb=1

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #5 of 16 Old 12-24-13, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Ah, that looks much more robust. I actually had a Pyle Pre-Amp with an integrated EQ for 1-year before this. I threw it away after it started vibrating, I had always thought the sound quality was garbage that it produced.

You'll see I've edited my previous response, as well.

Last edited by bradgreens; 12-24-13 at 04:55 PM.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-24-13, 04:54 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

If you're looking for additional low end why not buy a subwoofer?

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #7 of 16 Old 12-24-13, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
If you're looking for additional low end why not buy a subwoofer?
The two loudspeakers have 12" woofers. Provided the right configuration they've had no problem producing strong bass in the past.

If I'm going to start buying new speakers then it'd be time to replace the loudspeakers as well, which I'm not ready for at least at this time.

With that said, I'm about $650 into the pre-amp/amp combo, and I'm not sure if I'm ready to spend $600 on an EQ. It'd be fair to say I should probably let these speakers go, but after 10 years there's definitely some nostalgia in beating them up still. I'd rather not add a sub in my bar area, as well. Just sharing my reasoning.
post #8 of 16 Old 12-25-13, 12:14 AM
Senior Shackster

Ryan

Those car amps with that bass boost puts a huge bump in the frequency response but you don't really know until you measure it. I had rigged up a car amp for my subs for a bit and it had a bass boost like yours and when I swapped it out for a pro-amp that hump went away so I know what you're experiencing. Anyhow... It sounds like you're using a computer for a source but don't mention if it's Mac or PC. If it's PC you can try Equalizer APO.

Equalizer APO:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

A few GUI's for EQ APO (it doesn't have normally have a GUI, these are for playing with the knobs old school style so to speak):
http://jiiteepee.tripod.com/home.html

It's not very user friendly without a GUI but it was meant to work with Room EQ Wizard. That is you measure your room, get suggested EQ filters from REW, and apply the filters via text file with EQ APO.

It worth noting that I don't think EQ APO works with WASAPI or ASIO, only DirectSound.

Download that and try a boost around 40hz and I bet you'll get back some of what you lost.

Last edited by |Tch0rT|; 12-25-13 at 12:22 AM.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-26-13, 11:43 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
No, Pyle is junk. I would look at something like this.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/yamaha-q2031-...a2de80d&_uhb=1
Actually, Yamaha’s professional graphic EQs are also bottom-feeders. Reasonably quiet, but don’t sound that great. Ashly is a better option, albeit a bit more pricey.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #10 of 16 Old 01-09-14, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Download that and try a boost around 40hz and I bet you'll get back some of what you lost.
I am using a Mac-Mini which connects to a Samsung TV via HDMI. Then I used the TV audio out to connect to the pre-amp via RCAs.

I tried out Boom for OSX. It worked pretty good! It took a while to configure it for strong bass quality. I disabled the iTunes equalizer, pushed the Boom EQ low-end and "booster" real high, and finally reduced the OSX system volume to about 2% to allow the amps to handle volume control.

The result is solid, although it still lacks the quality I could hear in the car amps. Some frequencies come through with a bit of distortion. For $7 I'd say it got me about 70-80% of what I was hoping for.

I think if I go the EQ hardware route then I'd be prepared to match up some new towers & a sub with the Emotiva equipment.

The one thing I found odd which would be nice to get any detail on is that this Emotiva equipment mostly uses RCAs. I say that's odd because it looks like modern equipment uses XLRs these days, including all of the high-end graphic EQs I looked at. So if I wanted to add a graphic EQ to the stack I would need RCA-to-male-XLRs and RCA-to-female-XLRs. Is Emotiva making a mistake? Adding an EQ feels like a nuisance with this equipment stack.

Thanks for the advice!

p.s. I couldn't figure out what I said that tipped you off that a computer is the audio source!

Last edited by bradgreens; 01-09-14 at 06:36 PM.