Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Home Theater System Recommendations (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-system-recommendations/)
-   -   My dilemma. Need advise bad im going insane. (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-system-recommendations/68245-my-dilemma-need-advise-bad-im-going-insane.html)

SeanMc 06-27-13 09:32 AM

My dilemma. Need advise bad im going insane.

I've got b&w dm-7 (200w at 8 ohms) for fronts, b&w dm302's (100w at 8 ohms) for rears and no center as of yet. Looking to get an hd33 for projector and I have Xbox and ps3 an Apple TV.

I was thinking emotiva's XPA-5 (200w x 5 at 8 ohms $809) and UMC-200 (7.1 $599). Read some poor reviews with the UMC-200 and the two together are too expensive.

I can get the Denon 3808ci for $400 cash and then maybe buy an amp that can power my fronts. Trying to keep the cost low. I heard that the 3808ci may have hdmi issues. I'm not sure how the receiver hdmi in and out work. Am I better to go straight from the source instead of through the receiver first? Ie ps3 to hd33?

Should I just buy a receiver that can output the full 200w per channel at 8 ohms. I'm trying to figure this out and it's making me loose sleep and waste time at work!

Please help!

86eldel68-deactivated 06-27-13 09:47 AM

Re: My dilemma. Need advise bad im going insane.

IMO, start with a well-equipped and well-rated Marantz SR5007 ($599, shipped, at Amazon.com).

Use it to power your mains + CC speaker, and add an Emotiva UPA-200 (reg. $349, shipped; currently $299, shipped) for your surrounds.

- OR -

Alternatively, get an Emotiva XPA-200 (reg. $499. shipped; currently $429, shipped) to run your mains, and use the Marantz for everything else.

SeanMc 06-27-13 06:27 PM

Quote:

eljay wrote: (Post 620561)
IMO, start with a well-equipped and well-rated Marantz SR5007 ($599, shipped, at Amazon.com).

Use it to power your mains + CC speaker, and add an Emotiva UPA-200 (reg. $349, shipped; currently $299, shipped) for your surrounds.

- OR -

Alternatively, get an Emotiva XPA-200 (reg. $499. shipped; currently $429, shipped) to run your mains, and use the Marantz for everything else.

If I were to go with the XPA-5 is there a receiver that focuses on video, and audio boosts etc and doesn't have any watts like the umc-200? The umc doesn't give me what I'm looking for in a receiver like 4k and fancy stuff like that.

Sorry for noob ish comments

86eldel68-deactivated 06-28-13 11:02 AM

I don't know of any receivers that can by-pass their amp sections, but if you can get an AVR that has the features you want for a good price, there's no reason to overlook it just because it happens to have an amplification section.

(The SR5007 + an XPA-3 - as you ask about in your latest thread - would be a great combo, IMO.)

SeanMc 06-28-13 11:29 AM

Quote:

eljay wrote: (Post 620743)
I don't know of any receivers that can by-pass their amp sections, but if you can get an AVR that has the features you want for a good price, there's no reason to overlook it just because it happens to have an amplification section.

(The SR5007 + an XPA-3 - as you ask about in your latest thread - would be a great combo, IMO.)

Thanks eljay. It's really not easy making decisions like this!

86eldel68-deactivated 06-28-13 06:43 PM

FWIW, when I was AVR shopping a few years ago, my goal was to find a receiver within my budget range that had the features I wanted AND multi-channel outputs in case I needed external amplification. If I were AVR shopping today, that's exactly how I'd go about it again.

And if I had the cash, I'd buy a Denon AVR-4311 (~$1,600 on Amazon.com), because it has everything I could possibly want, including Audyssey MultEQ XT32 w/ Sub EQ HT. Given a relatively more modest budget, the SR5007 would be my next choice.

Just my 2¢, and YMMV. :)

chashint 06-29-13 01:56 AM

The dm7 speakers specs are stated in a very interesting manner. Per the B&W support page they state 8 ohms throughout the operating range (this is very good) and 95 dB SPL at 10V rms at 1 meter.
That works out to be 12.5 watts.
Most speakers today are rated at 2.83V (or 1 watt). So these speakers are about 84-85 dB SPL at 1 watt at 1 meter.
depending on how loud you want to listen any good mid range AVR should get the job done.

SeanMc 06-29-13 09:44 AM

Quote:

chashint wrote: (Post 620868)
The dm7 speakers specs are stated in a very interesting manner. Per the B&W support page they state 8 ohms throughout the operating range (this is very good) and 95 dB SPL at 10V rms at 1 meter.
That works out to be 12.5 watts.
Most speakers today are rated at 2.83V (or 1 watt). So these speakers are about 84-85 dB SPL at 1 watt at 1 meter.
depending on how loud you want to listen any good mid range AVR should get the job done.

I don't just want to get the job done I want it to get the most out of them. Would the amp add much better sound or am I wasting my money?

86eldel68-deactivated 06-29-13 07:46 PM

IMO: If you have a good receiver (AVR), the benefit of external amplification is only really evident if you play your system at fairly loud volumes, where the AVR alone might be "running out of steam" trying to power five or seven speakers. At low to moderate volumes, the benefit is minimal to negligible, so you likely wouldn't notice any.

If you can swing the SR5007 + XPA3, go for it. You'll be set for up to seven-channel audio, no worries, no regrets. :)

SeanMc 06-29-13 08:48 PM

Quote:

eljay wrote: (Post 620926)
IMO: If you have a good receiver (AVR), the benefit of external amplification is only really evident if you play your system at fairly loud volumes, where the AVR alone might be "running out of steam" trying to power five or seven speakers. At low to moderate volumes, the benefit is minimal to negligible, so you likely wouldn't notice any.

If you can swing the SR5007 + XPA3, go for it. You'll be set for up to seven-channel audio, no worries, no regrets. :)

The DM7's are a 200 watt speaker. Are you saying that the speaker will sound no different at 120 watts compared to say 80 watts? I wouldn't buy the XPA-3 if ill get the same sound quality with the sr5007. I guess my question is, how loud do I need to be listening to the speakers before i need more than 80+ watts to power them. Surely a 200 watt speaker needs more than 100 watts to sound nice at a normal movie watching volume.