ALMFamily equipment list - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 9 Old 11-27-11, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
ALMFamily equipment list

Basement - complete light controlled dedicated HT room in progress:

Audio:
Onkyo TX-NR809 - just purchased 11/20/2011
Emotiva XPA-5 amp - just purchased 11/23/2011
Speakers - still deciding

Video:
1) Panasonic AE7000 projector - just purchased (11/17/2011)
2) BD player - still deciding - more than like going with an OPPO BD-93

Screen: still deciding - will be a 92"

Room Controls:

Lutron Grafik Eye QS for lights / curtains - just received 11/26/2011
Global Cache-12 for equipment / lighting control via iPad / iRule app (not purchased yet)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-26-12, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Re: ALMFamily equipment list

Bolded is newly added equipment:

Basement - complete light controlled dedicated HT room in progress:

Audio:
Onkyo TX-NR809
Emotiva XPA-5 amp
Emotiva UPA-2 amp
Subs - 2 SVS PB-13 Ultras

Speakers - still deciding - see sig for thread!

Video:
1) Panasonic AE7000 projector - just purchased (11/17/2011)
2) BD player - still deciding - more than like going with an OPPO BD-93

Screen: still deciding - will be a 92"

Room Controls:

Lutron Grafik Eye QS for lights / curtains -
Global Cache-12 for equipment / lighting control via iPad / iRule app (not purchased yet)

Read more: ALMFamily equipment list - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #3 of 9 Old 05-04-12, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Time to update the list and split out the living room and HT systems!

Living Room

Sherwood / Newcastle R972 AVR w/trinnov
Mitsubishi WD52631
LG BD550 BR Player
Crown XLS1500
Emp Tek e55Ti mains
Emp Tek e5Ci CC
KLH 2410 surrounds
Wii
XBox 360 Kinect

Home Theater - in progress

Onkyo 809
Panasonic AE-7000U
Oppo 93 BR Player
Emotive XPA-5
Emotive UMA-2 (zone 2 workshop)
2 - SVS PB-13 Ultras
Monster HD2500
Lutron Grafik Eye QS

post #4 of 9 Old 08-30-12, 10:52 AM
Shackster

chuck

My System

so how do the em techs sound? they look great
post #5 of 9 Old 08-30-12, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

I have been pleased with them - they are very good speakers. And, even better, I was able to get them as B-stock so they were less than $500 for the pair. They are not as dynamic as my Songtowers IMO, but they do a very good job creating the soundfield in my living room system which has vaulted ceilings.

post #6 of 9 Old 09-10-12, 02:00 PM
Shackster

My System

AWSOME BUILD,

i WAS TOLD THAT THESE NEW RECIEVERS DO NOT NEED AN EXTERNAL AMP. NOW I SEE THAT YOU HAVE 2 EXTERNAL AMPS. 1-2 CH. AND 1-5 CH. NOW YOUR ONKYO NR809 IS PRETTY UP THERE ON THE ONKYO BRAND. I USE TO HAVE THE 609 AND I LOVED IT.

SO MY QUESTION TO YOU IS THERE A MONUMENTAL DIFFERENCE BY HAVING EXTERNAL AMPS PRE OUT FROM YOUR RECIEVER?

DOES THIS EXTEND THE LIFE OF THE RECIEVER BY NOT USING ITS OWN INTERNAL AMPS?

THANKS ALOT IN ADVANCE!
post #7 of 9 Old 09-10-12, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
Teatro de BERGEN wrote: View Post
AWSOME BUILD,

i WAS TOLD THAT THESE NEW RECIEVERS DO NOT NEED AN EXTERNAL AMP. NOW I SEE THAT YOU HAVE 2 EXTERNAL AMPS. 1-2 CH. AND 1-5 CH. NOW YOUR ONKYO NR809 IS PRETTY UP THERE ON THE ONKYO BRAND. I USE TO HAVE THE 609 AND I LOVED IT.

SO MY QUESTION TO YOU IS THERE A MONUMENTAL DIFFERENCE BY HAVING EXTERNAL AMPS PRE OUT FROM YOUR RECIEVER?

DOES THIS EXTEND THE LIFE OF THE RECIEVER BY NOT USING ITS OWN INTERNAL AMPS?

THANKS ALOT IN ADVANCE!
Thanks!

It really depends on the speaker choice IMO - had I chose Klipsch speakers, I could have driven them with the 809 solely because the Klipschs are super efficient (I have seen JJ say several times you could drive them with an AM/FM radio ). For me personally, when I auditioned Klipsch speaker (RF-62s), they were just too bright / forward for me.

I had originally planned to use the XPA-5 to drive everything but my rear surrounds - those I would power with the 809. Then, I decided to run a Zone 2 into my workshop so I got the UPA-2 used to drive Zone 2 while still maintaining my 7.2 HT system.

After going through my speaker journey, I decided I wanted to go to the Salk Soundscapes at some point. These are not nearly as efficient, so I started looking for a 2CH amp for the L/R. Based on a recommendation from JJ, I purchased those Palladium monoblocks used to drive the L/R.

Sorry, I thought maybe a bit of background would help to see how I got where I am right now. I can tell you that using external amps provides more headroom for one - also, the AVR will run much cooler not having to use the amplification section which is one of the biggest knocks on the Onkyos. Running cooler is always a good thing for any equipment.

post #8 of 9 Old 03-01-13, 10:40 AM
Shackster
mark

What all parts are required to use the I Rule for the control of your room. It controls all the componets plus the lighting. Correct?
post #9 of 9 Old 03-01-13, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
killian wrote: View Post
What all parts are required to use the I Rule for the control of your room. It controls all the componets plus the lighting. Correct?
Correct, Mark. You would need to get the communication unit (I picked the GC-100-12) and the wires to connect each component to the unit. Then, the unit needs to be connected to your network

You would also of course need to purchase the software - I picked the Pro version. That pretty much covers the equipment you need. From there, it is a matter of creating your interface - which is probably the most work TBH.