Can I get a look over on this plan before I cut the holes? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 5 Old 02-27-15, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
NoD

Can I get a look over on this plan before I cut the holes?

Hey guys,

I'm ridding of my home theater, sadly. We don't use it enough and we spend way more time in the living room, so might as well make it the hybrid and have a room for who knows what. My two Fi IB318s have been great (down to 5hz with ease and 20hz could do nearly 120db... it was nuts!) and it took some time, but I've talked myself into re purposing them into my living room.

So I had a 10" Dayton Ultimax in a large ported box, tuned 21hz, to do some testing. I went to the center of each space between the desired joists and ran a test every 1' of my 13' wide room. This was 17.75" from the front wall and 33.75". After finding what seemed like the most desired response, I tested a few more things, seating and fine tuning by a few inches on placement, etc. So, seems 45" from the left wall and 33.75" from the front wall is my sweet spot.

Again, two Fi IB318s. Joists are 16" CTC, so with a single layer of MDF at 3/4", I'd have 13" of space inside between the baffles. I'm thinking it would be 24" wide (22.5" opening). Total opening would be 292.5 square inches. I know desired is equal to SD of all the drivers total (375 square inches). It would take about 32" wide to make that! I couldn't imagine there's enough restriction to make a difference here. After all, you don't need a port equal to SD in a ported box, but maybe that's a different concept all together.

Ultimately, I'll get a miniDSP 4x10hd, but I have 2 2x4's currently. All this with my active 3-way i'll be putting flush in the wall (WMTMW) and powered with my 3x HiFiMeDIY T2s. I also plan acoustic treatment. My theater had plenty of that, so I'll repurpose that as well.

Finally, I think I want to run a stereo setup instead of mono for my subwoofers. I'll get another pair of IB318s for that as well and duplicate my manifold and assumingly put it 45" from the right wall for symmetry.

With all that said, here's basically my questions:
-Placement: Despite it giving me about the best response, any reason NOT to use this position?
-Is my manifold opening size going to be an issue? If I put a custom grill over it, restricting it further, an issue then? (I know that's a wildcard of a question w/o info on grill)
-Am I going to be giving myself a headache if I go with another pair and run stereo vs mono with cancellation or phase?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-27-15, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
NoD

Re: Can I get a look over on this plan before I cut the holes?

It didn't upload my pics for some reason, so here they are (couldn't edit first post and upload pics again from what I could tell). The graph at the 33.75"/45" corner and a over head view of the living room in question (Red is primary seating position, Blue square is proposed IB location). Room is 13' wide by 23.5' deep. Seating is about 12' from front wall.

I forgot to mention, Xover will be between 60-80hz between the midwoofers and these subs (pending results of the midwoofers, which have not been installed yet). miniDSP will allow up to 48db/oct.
Attached Thumbnails
Can I get a look over on this plan before I cut the holes?-ibsetup.jpg  

Can I get a look over on this plan before I cut the holes?-ibsetup-graph.jpg  

post #3 of 5 Old 02-28-15, 08:25 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Where are your speakers located?

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.

post #4 of 5 Old 02-28-15, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
NoD

I plan to build some WMTMW's that will sit flush in wall. If you look at the pic I posted, that larger rectangle on the front wall is the TV. In wall are about where the studs are. They should be placed in the wall next to the TV between the studs. I can draw it up if necessary.

If you draw a line between the proposed spots for both speaker placement and primary seating position, the proposed IB's would be only a few inches off center of that line.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-09-15, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
NoD

Well, I went ahead and did it. First manifold, anyways.

Here is a graph showing what the 10" Ultimax said, VS what the 2 Fi IB318's say. I was surprised how well that coordinated! Of course, the Dayton ran out of breath under 20hz, where the Fi's sung down to 10 with ease. I still need to seal up some gaps and do some more work, but I was able to make the table in this room and the next dance around with some rumbly low end And the manifold opening seems to be fine. There's isn't a "large amount" of air moving around (no major restriction), so all seems well there.

I'll post up how the 2nd pair does, once they arrive and get installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Can I get a look over on this plan before I cut the holes?-livingroom-ib-comparison-predicted-vs-real.jpg