IB Mid-bass Output - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
 3Likes

post #11 of 18 Old 12-05-17, 09:39 PM
Senior Shackster
jagman

Re: IB Mid-bass Output

Quote:
dgmartin wrote: View Post
Just to clarify things, when you say IB, are you referring to a large closed box as an or just a driver in a large baffle open at the back (dipole)? In a dipole you get cancellation when the distance between the front and rear is in the order of the wavelength, thus you need much more volume displacement to produce the same SPL as the frequency gets lower. There should still be spreadsheets to compute that on Linkwitz Lab.
The enclosure would be another room or the attic (it should be at least 10 x combined VAS).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 12-05-17, 10:03 PM
Shackster
Ren

4 x Ficar IB315. They are 2ohm subs with each pair wired in series to 4ohms. The Inuke amp sees 4ohms per channel. I haven't measured wattage to the drivers. I was only able to get 7 x Vas of adjoining volume due to floorplan restrictions. The drivers seem just fine considering.
post #13 of 18 Old 12-06-17, 12:48 AM
Senior Shackster
jagman

Quote:
Amplidood wrote: View Post
4 x Ficar IB315. They are 2ohm subs with each pair wired in series to 4ohms. The Inuke amp sees 4ohms per channel. I haven't measured wattage to the drivers. I was only able to get 7 x Vas of adjoining volume due to floorplan restrictions. The drivers seem just fine considering.
Awesome. I have four IB318, also 2ohms, with each pair also wired in series for a 2 channel 4ohm load. I have an old Crown XLS802 driving them (440watts per driver if the specs are to be believed). I need to get a new amp though. I recently realized it has an undefeatable hi pass filter at 20Hz 🤯️.

post #14 of 18 Old 12-06-17, 05:36 AM
Senior Shackster
jagman

Quote:
Have you bottomed them out? That's theoretically more than they should get.

post #15 of 18 Old 12-06-17, 11:45 AM
Shackster
Ren

To my knowledge I have never bottomed them out, but I haven't had reason or occasion to try. I'm a huge fan of the Inuke 6000 with the fiCars. It is beyond any system I have ever heard.
jagman likes this.
post #16 of 18 Old 12-07-17, 09:06 PM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

Quote:
1Michael wrote: View Post
Subwoofers should not be reproducing midbass frequencies...
Exactly....please define midbass range your trying to describe - sub woofers are not midbass drivers...
post #17 of 18 Old 12-08-17, 07:05 PM
Shackster
Ren

Mid-bass is generally accepted to be somewhere in the range of 80-250 Hertz. It kinda depends on who you talk to.

This frequency range is right at the crossover between your subs and your mains. Even if your receiver is crossing your subs at 80hz the slope from most receivers will still send some 120hz signal to the subs and some 120hz to the mains. The receiver plays a big role here. A smart receiver will help you identify/correct phase differences, and can help to apply the best slopes between the mains and subs to get that perfect crossover response with very little crossover dip.

Subs are definitely not midbass drivers, but they do cover some of that range, and depending on your crossover settings they can cover a significant amount.
jagman likes this.
post #18 of 18 Old 12-11-17, 05:40 PM
Senior Shackster
Glenn

My System

Quote:
This frequency range is right at the crossover between your subs and your mains....Subs are definitely not midbass drivers, but they do cover some of that range, and depending on your crossover settings they can cover a significant amount.
And don't forget that the surround sound LFE channel may deliver signals up to 120hz to the subwoofer no matter what the AVR crossover settings are.