Wife said "YES" to holes in walls!!! (new to IB, plz hlp) - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 66 Old 02-01-10, 03:49 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Re: Wife said "YES" to holes in walls!!! (new to IB, plz hlp)

Looks good. Use normal for modeling. You are not running an Isobarik set-up.

As said just make your manifold capable of adding 2 more drives later if you need them later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 66 Old 02-01-10, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
dascth

Yeah, I've just got to make sure the 2 extra drivers will fit in the triangle shaped holes you see in the pics. If I pre-cut the holes, I don't know how I'll plug them up for now since I can't glue the "donut hole" onto a panel and slap it on the sides, there's no room. I may just not cut the holes now. That'll make it harder to do the upgrade later though.
post #53 of 66 Old 02-01-10, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
dascth

Last question for now: the drivers come with a harder plastic/rubber cover going around the perimeter of the driver. I thought about removing it, but it looks like it'll fit more flush with it in place. What's the norm, leave it or remove it? The metal alone is L-shaped or has a lip that would have to dig into the wood or would prevent the thing from sitting flush.

post #54 of 66 Old 02-01-10, 04:15 PM
Elite Shackster

That outer rim surround will help create a seal between the driver and cabinet, so it should be left in place really, unless you plan to seal it another way.
post #55 of 66 Old 02-01-10, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
dascth

Perfect, that's what I thought.

Quote:
Moonfly wrote: View Post
That outer rim surround will help create a seal between the driver and cabinet, so it should be left in place really, unless you plan to seal it another way.
post #56 of 66 Old 02-01-10, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
dascth

When looking again at those WinISD charts, I noticed something I'll have to deal with. When you model with 4 DPL-15s, the cone excursion is perfectly fine with a 550W signal. It stays below the xmax of 22mm. With only two though it hits xmax at 20Hz and goes as high as 30mm by the time you hit 10Hz. How will I protect the drivers from this? With the BFD? How do I know how much to tweak to be safe? You know, that just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The maximum wattage they give on their site for the driver is 600W. It's specifically an IB driver, yet when you model it at that 600W for a single driver in an IB, you get cone excursion of 43mm down at 10Hz. Why would they say the max is 600W then if it sounds like that isn't realistic? Help!

Also, is there no way in WinISD to say if you're hooking up the 4 drivers in series, parallel, or a combination? The numbers will obviously change quite a bit depending on how I wire them. Do I have to go change Znom or something?

Last edited by dascth; 02-01-10 at 06:06 PM.
post #57 of 66 Old 02-02-10, 09:47 AM
Banned!
Ryan

excited and tuned in!
post #58 of 66 Old 02-02-10, 10:49 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
dascth wrote: View Post
When looking again at those WinISD charts, I noticed something I'll have to deal with. When you model with 4 DPL-15s, the cone excursion is perfectly fine with a 550W signal. It stays below the xmax of 22mm. With only two though it hits xmax at 20Hz and goes as high as 30mm by the time you hit 10Hz. How will I protect the drivers from this? With the BFD? How do I know how much to tweak to be safe? You know, that just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The maximum wattage they give on their site for the driver is 600W. It's specifically an IB driver, yet when you model it at that 600W for a single driver in an IB, you get cone excursion of 43mm down at 10Hz. Why would they say the max is 600W then if it sounds like that isn't realistic? Help!

Also, is there no way in WinISD to say if you're hooking up the 4 drivers in series, parallel, or a combination? The numbers will obviously change quite a bit depending on how I wire them. Do I have to go change Znom or something?
The watts for a driver is simply the power handling capabilities of the motor. Its the eventual cabinet design/size that determines how much actual power is needed to reach maximum excursion. Smaller cabinets reduce excursion capabilities for any given amount of input, you can get round this by adding power and in these cases more power handling ability is a good thing. Dont forget that adding or subtracting drivers into a given volume effectively increases and decreases the cabinet size each driver sees. With an IB you alter cabinet size by adding and removing drivers because you obviously cant alter the cabinet itself as with a traditional sub build. Its not always gospel that you have to put all the power into the motor, and as ever a bit of head room is only a good thing. This is where the custom designing bit comes in though, because as you reduce input power, you reduce SPL produced, so you need to monitor all aspects of the design to get to where you want.

For modelling drivers with different VC wiring configurations, you can alter this in the drivers parameters for the type your going to use by editing the TSP's. I dont think you can model multiple drivers in the same cabinet with different wiring configurations though, I'm fairly certain of that. I also think that it would be asking for trouble to do that personally.
post #59 of 66 Old 02-02-10, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
dascth

by "a combination" I meant two sets of parallel drivers wired in series. That would make them all equal still and the amp would see a single 8ohm load still, even with 4 drivers.
post #60 of 66 Old 02-02-10, 11:01 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
dascth wrote: View Post
by "a combination" I meant two sets of parallel drivers wired in series. That would make them all equal still and the amp would see a single 8ohm load still, even with 4 drivers.
Ah right, well then you dont need to alter the driver parameters as they remain the same, its only the amp that sees a different load, so you can just model as normal with 4 drivers, or how ever many you want to use. Just make sure your amp is happy with the load your going to present it with