Wife said "YES" to holes in walls!!! (new to IB, plz hlp) - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 66 Old 02-05-10, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
dascth

Re: Wife said "YES" to holes in walls!!! (new to IB, plz hlp)

Ok, now that the weekend is starting, I should be able to get this thing finished with 2 drivers. I ordered the second set once I saw that with a pair of these and the 950W rms put out to 4 ohms by the ep4000 (single channel, 2400W if bridged!!!), my cone excursion would be off the charts without a serious high pass filter which I don't have yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 66 Old 02-05-10, 12:35 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

I think you'll be very happy. The extra 2 15's should give you 6db more headroom throughout the entire range before you get into problems.

Good luck this weekend.
post #63 of 66 Old 02-11-10, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
dascth

Finally finished the install tonight. I plugged it in and ran a couple quiet test tones to make sure it was working while my wife was asleep. Tomorrow comes the real test and calibration! Man it was a pain to install! Built the whole box only to find it wouldn't fit between the trusses. I had to disassemble it and re-glue and screw the walls together while up there! I've got some pics I'll upload tomorrow... I'm tired.

post #64 of 66 Old 02-23-10, 12:38 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Updates? How did it turn out?
post #65 of 66 Old 02-23-10, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
dascth

It turned out awesome! I'll have to post some pics. After each listening session I still get some drywall dust on the floor under the grill. Its less of a problem now.

Tuning it made all the difference in the world. I'm running in bridged mode after testing both ways and noticing a huge difference in "impact" in bridged mode.

I wired up an active high pass filter to drop everything below 17Hz per the cone excursion values I was getting in WinISD. I didn't want to get an expensive +/- 15V powersupply to power it so I found the +/- 15V rails inside the BFD and tapped into those. It worked like a charm! I'll have to post some pics of that too as I'd bet there are a lot of people who would love to mount the filter internally like me and save $$$ on the power supply.

The only thing I miss is that at lower volumes you only hear the bass and can't feel it. It makes perfect sense though, seeing as my old setup was my 10" box sub next to (touching) our couch. I'm thinking about maybe getting a second BFD that I run to the old sub and run them in parallel. I'd only use the old one minimally, but it would help out if I could pull some gain off of the IB setup in some areas, and it'd give me the small couch rumble I remember from before at low volumes.
Quote:
Ricci wrote: View Post
Updates? How did it turn out?
post #66 of 66 Old 02-23-10, 11:56 PM
Banned!
Ryan

Quote:
dascth wrote: View Post
It turned out awesome! I'll have to post some pics. After each listening session I still get some drywall dust on the floor under the grill. Its less of a problem now.

Tuning it made all the difference in the world. I'm running in bridged mode after testing both ways and noticing a huge difference in "impact" in bridged mode.

I wired up an active high pass filter to drop everything below 17Hz per the cone excursion values I was getting in WinISD. I didn't want to get an expensive +/- 15V powersupply to power it so I found the +/- 15V rails inside the BFD and tapped into those. It worked like a charm! I'll have to post some pics of that too as I'd bet there are a lot of people who would love to mount the filter internally like me and save $$$ on the power supply.

The only thing I miss is that at lower volumes you only hear the bass and can't feel it. It makes perfect sense though, seeing as my old setup was my 10" box sub next to (touching) our couch. I'm thinking about maybe getting a second BFD that I run to the old sub and run them in parallel. I'd only use the old one minimally, but it would help out if I could pull some gain off of the IB setup in some areas, and it'd give me the small couch rumble I remember from before at low volumes.
sweet sweet sweet! been wonderin what happened.