Dayton IB385-8 15" sound quality? - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 38 Old 08-08-11, 07:56 AM
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System
Re: Dayton IB385-8 15" sound quality?

I'd go with 2 IB318's. More headroom in this system plus you'll be able to unload the Fi drivers quickly on the used market if you ever decide to change things up again. There will also be the option of adding two more to the same manifold. The down side is that you'll likely be amp limited with your current amp and be unable to get the full potential.

If you can't or don't want to ever change amps, go with the daytons.

Either of these drivers should perform about equally up to 120 Hz. They are both high Le designs which means they are not the best at higher freqs (in theory). The dayton ref hf would be better if you're really worried about it, but I'm not saying you should.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 Old 08-08-11, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Glenn

My System

Those Fi's are looking better and better. If I were going for highest SPL there would be no question but to get the Fi's. In a balanced system that has respectable bass output, I think the Dayton's might be good enough.

If I were to go with 4 of the Dayton's ( http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-455 ) what would be the best wiring configuration. My ATI AT1506 amp manual states: 150w @8ohms, 225w @ 4ohms, 450w bridged @ 8ohms.
I'm wondering if using a single bridged channel to feed all 4 drivers would help to keep them all in phase with each other. So then what would be the best wiring between all the drivers?
post #23 of 38 Old 08-08-11, 06:25 PM
Elite Shackster

Glen

You'd definitely go 8Ω bridged as those Dayton drivers are 8Ω each, so two in parallel would be 4Ω, then connect the two sets in series for a total load of 8Ω to your amp.

If you went Fi, you could go with 4Ω drivers and just connect them in series for 8Ω total. If you added two more drivers, you could wire them up for a 4Ω total which would be perfect for a stronger amp run bridged, eg behringer pro-amp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #24 of 38 Old 08-08-11, 06:28 PM
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System
I would do two pairs in parallel for 4ohm stereo...

I don't think there is any differennce though
post #25 of 38 Old 08-08-11, 07:46 PM
Elite Shackster

Glen

Quote:
vann_d wrote: View Post
I would do two pairs in parallel for 4ohm stereo...

I don't think there is any differennce though
Or you could do that A little easier!

post #26 of 38 Old 08-08-11, 08:10 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

If you're going with the Dayton drivers, split the LFE output of your receiver 4 ways, one output to each of 4 inputs on the ATI amp. 150 watts into 8 ohms goes to each sub, 600 watts total.

We're all in this together!

post #27 of 38 Old 08-11-11, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Glenn

My System

Thanks for all the input.

So far with pricing, 2-Fi 18's are only $50 more than 4-Dayton 15's.
Unless something else changes my mind, the Fi 18 option seems to be worth the extra money. That's too bad, I was really interested in hearing how the Dayton's sound.

Very soon I'll make my decision and let you all know, then start a new build thread (don't expect too many pics, but I'll try my best).
post #28 of 38 Old 08-11-11, 07:05 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

The 4 Daytons run out of excursion with 300 watts.
Bridging 4 channels of the amp to 2 channels and using one channel to each D4 Fi sub, a pair will handle 800 watts

With your specific amp the extra $50 for the Fi drivers is definitely worth it.

Dayton IB385-8 15" sound quality?-1b-sub.jpg

post #29 of 38 Old 08-11-11, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Glenn

My System

Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post
...Bridging 4 channels of the amp to 2 channels and using one channel to each D4 Fi sub, a pair will handle 800 watts...
I will definitely try this with my amp. But I don't want to be missing my 450w/ch for my front 3 speakers for very long, so I'll have to get another amp soon.
What models would you all recommend (keeping in mind I would be using the 4ohm drivers)? I've noticed that the Behringer's are very popular here and on that other IB website.
What's best: a very powerful 1ch amp, or a less powerful 2ch amp?
post #30 of 38 Old 08-11-11, 09:43 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

It needs to be determined first if there's a possibility of adding another pair of subs in the future if you decide 2 subs aren't enough. If that is a possibility then an amp choice can be made with both senarios in mind, 2 subs now, 4 in total later.