Dayton IB385-8 15" sound quality? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 38 Old 08-06-11, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Glenn

My System
Dayton IB385-8 15" sound quality?

**EDIT** 10/25/11... I ENDED UP BUILDING WITH (2) FI18'S, YOU CAN FOLLOW THAT THREAD (Glenn's IB sub, (2)FI18's) HERE... http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...b-2-fi18s.html

If I can find affordably good sounding sub drivers, I've decided to do an IB manifold. I want to do 4-15" drivers in the attic.
Trying to keep the price of each sub below $200.
***I value sound quality over SPL's.*** I want to be able to hear the difference between an electric bass guitar, an accoustic bass guitar, and an upright bass. I want to hear the difference between a tympani (sp?) and a bass drum.
I like the sound quality that comes from my sealed 15" Tempest and HSU VTF subs.
1)..Do the Dayton IB385-8 15" drivers have decent sound quality?
2)..Is there a different driver under $200 that would be preferable?
3)..Should I not waste my time with these cheaper drivers? I understand the new Fi IB3's would be better, but they are much pricier.

Last edited by gdstupak; 10-25-11 at 01:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 08-06-11, 05:11 AM
Elite Shackster

Re: Dayton IB385-8 15" sound quality?

Have you got a link to the driver, or a set of TSP's.
post #3 of 38 Old 08-06-11, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Glenn

My System

http://www.daytonaudio.com/lspeakers...s_ib385-8.html

I don't find much info on these from users, I figured they would be more common with the IB people since they are one of the few digned for IB, but I guess not.

TSP? To me, that's my Thrift Savings Plan.

post #4 of 38 Old 08-06-11, 01:56 PM
Elite Shackster

Looking purely at is parameters it looks a decent driver for IB use. I couldnt comment on its sound quality, but its Qts is pretty good, power handling looks about what I would expect, FS is nice and low and although the xmax isnt as high as the best drivers, using multiples will reduce excursion requirements.

You really need to model the driver to see how many your going to need though. Also, what size room do you for the 'enclosure', do you know its volume?

Taking the typical minimum IB requirement of 4 drivers for 15 " drivers, you would only need 200 watts and you would good to about 100db at 10hz. Using a HPF you can get more spl, but if you want more spl at 10 hz you will need more drivers to stay within xmax.
post #5 of 38 Old 08-06-11, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Glenn

My System

Thank you, I always value your input.
Quote:
Moonfly wrote: View Post
... Also, what size room do you for the 'enclosure', do you know its volume?...
Mostly typical attic that is 44'x28', the area of the great room does have a cathedral ceiling which would reduce the attic size a bit, but I figure it's still plenty of space for whatever I need.

I'm not a bass hog, just want it to sound proper. 2-15"er's would probably put out enough SPL for me but I don't want distortion, so that's why I figured to use 4 (I've already read that IB drivers can bottom out easier than when in typical smaller enclosures ("Hear the bass, not the box!!").
post #6 of 38 Old 08-07-11, 06:42 AM
Elite Shackster

I modelled it yesterday and the 4 drivers IIRC needed about 12,500 litres to achieve the 10 times vas enclosure size. You can get away with as little as 4 times vas though (around 4000 litres) so you will likely be fine no matter what. The beauty of IB's is that big differences in enclosure size dont have that big an effect on the eventual sound, and higher Q installs are much more acceptable due to the clean output nature of IB's.

I look forward to a build thread
post #7 of 38 Old 08-07-11, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Glenn

My System

Quote:
Moonfly wrote: View Post
I look forward to a build thread
Now you've put me on the spot. We'll see what happens.
post #8 of 38 Old 08-07-11, 06:58 AM
Elite Shackster

we do like to see subs being built. An IB install would be of particular value as they are the rarest of builds due to their unique install requirements.

In any case, I hope the end results please you, and that if nothing else you can share your thoughts on how you think your IB performs. Ive not seen these drivers used before either, so that further peaks my interest.
post #9 of 38 Old 08-07-11, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Glenn

My System

I'll try not to forget the obligatory pic with the head in the hole. I've gained a few pounds over the years, we'll see if my head can fit through.
post #10 of 38 Old 08-07-11, 12:32 PM
Elite Shackster

Glen

Quote:
gdstupak wrote: View Post
If I can find affordably good sounding sub drivers, I've decided to do an IB manifold. I want to do 4-15" drivers in the attic.
Trying to keep the price of each sub below $200.
***I value sound quality over SPL's.*** I want to be able to hear the difference between an electric bass guitar, an accoustic bass guitar, and an upright bass. I want to hear the difference between a tympani (sp?) and a bass drum.
I like the sound quality that comes from my sealed 15" Tempest and HSU VTF subs.
1)..Do the Dayton IB385-8 15" drivers have decent sound quality?
2)..Is there a different driver under $200 that would be preferable?
3)..Should I not waste my time with these cheaper drivers? I understand the new Fi IB3's would be better, but they are much pricier.
Driver selection for IB use is extremely limited. Supposedly, due to the nature or design of IB, it shouldn't require advanced features eg copper rings, so you should be fine. I've been curious which would sound better between four Dayton IB385 drivers or two dual IB18 drivers if in one manifold. I wonder about the performance between two 2x15" manifolds vs one 2x18".

Will you be building a pair of opposed manifolds or one quad manifold? I'm guessing dual manifolds can smooth response, same as other designs, although dual manifolds will require twice the work...and you stated sound quality was of utmost importance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.