Planning an IB Build! - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 42 Old 03-27-12, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

MoffaHoffa

My System
Re: Planning an IB Build!

Quote:
S_rangeBrew wrote: View Post
It takes about 3 weeks for them to build. Worth the wait, because they are gorgeous, hand-made American BEASTS!

How I know:

They are gorgeous! As per the email I got last week, my drivers have a scheduled delivery of, TODAY!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 Old 03-27-12, 10:09 PM
Shackster
Larry

Man, those black frames look awesome; I did not know this was an option

Quote:
S_rangeBrew wrote: View Post
It takes about 3 weeks for them to build. Worth the wait, because they are gorgeous, hand-made American BEASTS!

How I know:

post #23 of 42 Old 04-30-12, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

MoffaHoffa

My System

Alright Guys, my recent IB build is pretty much complete!

4 FI IB3-18s
Behringer EP4000 amp
BFD1124p
Multieq XT32

I installed some Sound reactive LEDs in the vents, for music and display, its fun.
Sorry about the mess....work in progress....

Without flash:

With Flash:

First measured room response, Multeq XT32 only:
Still tweaking tho

Here is a short review I posted on another forum:

These things are monsters and have literally scared the breath out of me quite a few times so far... Incredibly dynamic, Sound quality is insane... When I first fired them up I had to track down rattles all throughout the house It sounded like a storm was coming through! I have them balanced pretty well with the rest of the system... I let Audyssey do its thing and then tweak further with REW, BFD, Rad Shack SPL and an ECM8000, I balance amp gain with input gain to make sure there is no signal clipping at the desired level. I had them running hot at first but with the Dynamic EQ feature its really not necessary, I have since set them more level with the mains... Certain scenes that I have seen dozens of times I've thought "where did this lfe come from". These subs are like ninjas, they stay in the shadows until they are ready to strike... and when they do, you know it!!!!

Highest level I've been at is 6 below reference, notable moments at this level:
Transformers Ironhide flip makes my eyes water.
My hair has began to stand up a few times.
I've felt my shirt move.
Inception has not been this visceral since I saw it in IMAX (I love Inception)
:O

My 2 SVS subs were great, but after having these in the system I'm floored by what I did not know I was still missing. Its truly a new level of bass reproduction!

Last edited by Rmb1080p; 04-30-12 at 12:07 AM.

post #24 of 42 Old 04-30-12, 02:00 AM
Senior Shackster
Will

Great work Rmb. Your room looks amazing
post #25 of 42 Old 04-30-12, 03:35 PM
EccentricDyslexic

Cool! I'm hoping my 8x FI318 four manifold IB does similar things.....;-)

Steve
post #26 of 42 Old 05-29-12, 11:25 AM
Shackster

mosconiac

Hey, great project. Thanks for posting your experience, because I am considering a similar project (IB using the garage).

I am concerned with the motors facing the garage though & plan to place the motors inside the manifold to avoid dirt/dust fouling as well as random things affixing themselves to the magnets.

Does the garage represent issues...i.e. sound leakage into the neighborhood? Seems the garage door would provide little sound suppression.

Do you think I'm being overly paranoid?!?!
post #27 of 42 Old 05-29-12, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

MoffaHoffa

My System

Quote:
mosconiac wrote: View Post
Hey, great project. Thanks for posting your experience, because I am considering a similar project (IB using the garage).

I am concerned with the motors facing the garage though & plan to place the motors inside the manifold to avoid dirt/dust fouling as well as random things affixing themselves to the magnets.

Does the garage represent issues...i.e. sound leakage into the neighborhood? Seems the garage door would provide little sound suppression.

Do you think I'm being overly paranoid?!?!
Hows it going? I don't think you are being overly paranoid about the motor structure... if you have wide enough stud spacing I think placing the motor structure inside the manifolds would be a fine idea, I think it looks pretty cool too. If you can't I would not be too worried about it, these drivers seem pretty tough and when they get to doing their thing dust just flies off anyways, lol. Garage door has not been problematic for me, the only thing that it does is vibrate a bit but you can't hear it in the theater room and the bit of sound leakage just adds to the "infinite" in the baffle, lol. About a quarter of the way down the driveway the Its not very offensive anymore... even with the garage up. Once I tracked down the rattles in the house the overall offensiveness is surprisingly not too bad either. Crazy me is thinking about expanding it with 4 more 18s have not decided yet though.

Hope that helps.
-RMB
post #28 of 42 Old 05-29-12, 12:45 PM
Shackster

mosconiac

Quote:
Rmb1080p wrote: View Post
Crazy me is thinking about expanding it with 4 more 18s have not decided yet though.
Good gravy, a total of (8)! I was thinking about just (2) 18IB3's (on an older EP2500), which would be good for something like 121dB! You mentioned that you've not been above -6 from reference. Are (4) running out of steam at that point?!?!

Last edited by mosconiac; 05-29-12 at 12:54 PM.
post #29 of 42 Old 05-29-12, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

MoffaHoffa

My System

Yeah I think its just crazy insurance, probably never getting anywhere near their total output.
at -6 the 4 still have a lot in the tank but my main speakers don't lol, really dynamic films like Ghost protocol make them start to get harsh and thin sounding. I've turned the mains off and run things at reference and the IBs are still doing fine it would seem. Using a good bit of excursion on the "low" stuff but I don't think it's too much in the grand scheme of how much they can move. I just Bought 3 JTR Triple 12s for my LCR, I plan to do a lot more Reference level listening. Man I love chatting this stuff up.

-RMB

Last edited by Rmb1080p; 05-29-12 at 02:43 PM.
post #30 of 42 Old 05-31-12, 12:23 PM
Shackster
Larry

Enjoy reading your updates RMB; the JTR gear will greatly enhance your experience!!!