Christmas Build - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 103 Old 12-05-12, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to blitzer
Amazon is screwing me over. I ordered the ep4000 and it was in stock. Usually, things ordered from amazon and in their warehouse are shipped immediately. My order is awaiting fulfillment for the last couple weeks. May have to order it somewhere else. It's a shame because $275 new seems to be a very good price.

Ficaraudio is taking their usual time in building the ib318s.

-Brent

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 103 Old 12-18-12, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System
Re: Christmas Build

Quote:
vann_d wrote: View Post
In my build I'm planning on similar config but with 2 manifolds. Each one with 2 opposed IB 18s. They will be flanking the mains. Makes it a little easier to get the opening required.
What is the difference in output in one versus two manifolds? I know if you have two, some room nodes may be smoothed out, but otherwise, what is the difference?

Also, is there any reason NOT to have the backs of the drivers exposed to the home theater side of the manifold? I The physics part of my brain thinks it should not matter, but is the output somehow affected or is there turbulence noise from the supports?
post #13 of 103 Old 12-18-12, 11:29 AM
Shackster

Aaron

Quote:
blitzer wrote: View Post
My main goal is to have something that is great for both music and HT. I have a Magnepan setup right now and they are not the best HT speakers and blending the Magnepan 3.6 and subwoofers is near impossible. But I have read that IB subs are different in that way. I really hate one note bass and bass heard that is the result of cabinet resonances and do know what a sub is supposed to sound like.
You have chosen the about the best possible option to mate with your Magnepans. I suppose it could be easily argued that dipole bass would be a better match, but simply forget about it also working for HT unless you have 20+ big drivers.

I have a set of 3.6's too and was going to use them in a dedicated 2-channel system in my HT room (paired with an 8 18" driver IB), but the more I think about what a hassle it will be to drag them in and out of position, I'm not so sure I want to deal with it. LCR for the theater-side of things is Yorkville U15 Unitys, and the more I listen to them, the more I am considering forgoing the dedicated music setup. I do love the Maggies -- absolutely wonderful speaker -- but they definitely don't do HT dynamics like I desire.

I might need to kick the baby out of what used to be my dedicated office so I can have a separate dedicated 2-channel system again, or maybe just build a bigger house!

post #14 of 103 Old 12-18-12, 11:47 AM
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System
There is potentially a 3dB loss from not having them colocated I think. I would rather have the modal smoothing effects I think.

I'm not aware of any negative effects of facing the drivers how you describe other than aesthetics.
post #15 of 103 Old 12-18-12, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System

Quote:
aaron smithski wrote: View Post
You have chosen the about the best possible option to mate with your Magnepans. I suppose it could be easily argued that dipole bass would be a better match, but simply forget about it also working for HT unless you have 20+ big drivers.

I have a set of 3.6's too and was going to use them in a dedicated 2-channel system in my HT room (paired with an 8 18" driver IB), but the more I think about what a hassle it will be to drag them in and out of position, I'm not so sure I want to deal with it. LCR for the theater-side of things is Yorkville U15 Unitys, and the more I listen to them, the more I am considering forgoing the dedicated music setup. I do love the Maggies -- absolutely wonderful speaker -- but they definitely don't do HT dynamics like I desire.

I might need to kick the baby out of what used to be my dedicated office so I can have a separate dedicated 2-channel system again, or maybe just build a bigger house!
Yeah, the maggies are unbelievable. I listen to a movie and miss the some of the dynamics, but it sounds like you are inside the movie. I keep having these WTH moments of who is in my house. Then I listen to music and mostly forget about the HT dynamics difficulties. I am also afraid of blowing a driver on the maggies. I have blown a couple fuses already. I am waffling on replacing the setup with hybrid ribbon/cone speakers like the Monitor Audio PL200 or PL300.

How would you describe the Yorkville U15 Unitys sound? I have never seen those before.

But seriously, get the baby out of there.
post #16 of 103 Old 12-18-12, 11:24 PM
Shackster

Aaron

Quote:
Yeah, the maggies are unbelievable. I listen to a movie and miss the some of the dynamics, but it sounds like you are inside the movie. I keep having these WTH moments of who is in my house. Then I listen to music and mostly forget about the HT dynamics difficulties. I am also afraid of blowing a driver on the maggies. I have blown a couple fuses already. I am waffling on replacing the setup with hybrid ribbon/cone speakers like the Monitor Audio PL200 or PL300.

How would you describe the Yorkville U15 Unitys sound? I have never seen those before.

But seriously, get the baby out of there.
The Yorkvilles -- once you experience a movie on a high-efficiency speaker with virtually unlimited dynamics (in a typical home room setting), it's hard to go back to a regular speaker. I will preface that these are marketed as a 'pro audio' speaker, but the Unity Horn is the brainchild of Tom Danley and has very good hi-fi bones as well. These things have a 98 dB sensitivity rating and are ready to explode whenever there is any sort of transient or peak. I've only had them a few months and they are in a temporary install, but I've been very impressed with their musicality as well as the expected superb performance for HT. It's not that I didn't expect them to be good, just maybe not as good as they are...and this without any sort of tweaks (biamping, crossover adj., or eq).

I totally know where you are coming from regarding the Maggie's realism, but it does sound like you're getting precariously close to doing some damage to them.

The Monitor Audio's are great speakers -- haven't heard the new ribbon stuff, but have read many good reports. I still own 6 MAG 903 rosewood mini-towers that were purchased 8-9 years ago that helped cement my love for speakers.

Don't worry too much about my lack of a dedicated 2-channel room -- the room the Unitys are in right now has a permanently placed set of LS-6 line arrays sitting right behind them. I don't have any pics of them in the current system as the room they are is in a constant state of flux, but this is the day I brought them home...had to get them out of their boxes and let them stretch their legs for a totally impromptu jam session right near the center of my living room. They ended up sitting like this for about a week.

The baby (totally unexpected & the first girl after 4 boys!) will get to keep my office as her room until her 20-y/o brother pulls his head out of his keister and leaves the nest.
post #17 of 103 Old 12-20-12, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System
Got a call from Sean from FiCarAudio. They are working on the subs now and will ship out soon!

-Brent

post #18 of 103 Old 12-20-12, 05:31 PM
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System
Quote:
Got a call from Sean from FiCarAudio. They are working on the subs now and will ship out soon!
Hey, me too! He said they had been waiting fir baskets. Looks like I'll be installing mine in January.
post #19 of 103 Old 12-22-12, 05:46 PM
Senior Shackster
zac

My System

Quote:
bambino wrote: View Post
You will not be dissatisfied with the IB build just be sure to take the advice given above and brace that wall as well and you'll love it.
I don't think you need to brace the wall at all. The drivers are dual opposed in your manifold, and there should be no mechanical forces at all against the wall.
post #20 of 103 Old 12-22-12, 07:00 PM
Senior Shackster
zac

My System

Quote:
Robo266317 also helped out with this........Simply wire two pairs in series and then wire the those in parrallel.
eg. (from http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm )

Thanks for your help. I ordered the ep4000 and 4 IB318 drivers today.
Well it looks like you decided on the S4 version and to wire the four subs in series/parallel to a 4ohm bridged EP4000. That'll net you about 600w per driver. Risky with no SSF. Just be careful. All it takes is one big explosion on a movie you're unfamiliar with and CLANK pff pff... I'm all too familiar with this sound having reconed three 18" drivers in my HT over the last few years from overexcursion at < 15 hz.

Personally I would have opted for the S2 version and ran them two drivers in series to each channel of the amp. Easier load on the amplifier, better damping factor being unbridged, and more than enough power to take the drivers to overexcursion. This configuration would net about 325w per driver, and the Fi's reach Xmax in IB at just over 300w.

It sounds like your order's almost ready at Fi, so if you end up with the S4 version I would recommend wiring them in parallel pairs to a 4ohm stereo load on your amp. The EP4000 puts out about 820w/ch in 2ohm stereo, so you'd have 410w per driver which is plenty of power, and running the amp unbridged is preferable really unless you need every last drop of power.

BTW if you haven't gotten your EP4000 yet just cancel your amazon order and give Zzounds a call. They're an authorized dealer and will price match Amazon -5% with free shipping! I just bought two of them from Zzounds last month, and it came to less than $260 ea with no tax. I saved about $80 altogether vs Amazon because Amazon would've charged me sales tax in California.

Anyway good luck. Let's see some pictures!