Christmas Build - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 103 Old 01-06-13, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to blitzer
Re: Christmas Build

Now have to start putting these boards together. Maybe start that tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Christmas Build-_bdl5765_dxo.jpg  

Christmas Build-_bdl5768_dxo.jpg  

Christmas Build-_bdl5769_dxo.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 103 Old 01-06-13, 03:44 PM
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System
Quote:
blitzer wrote: View Post

Tried that and it only bumped output a few DBs across the spectrum, but that only helped a tiny bit. This was actually using the MiniDSP with my old sub using xlr connectors. I wonder if connecting it up to the Beringer will help fix that or if it is only an issue between the preamp and the MiniDSP. I am hoping I don't have to get a clean box or something like that. If so - any recommendations?

If I ditched the MiniDSP and did the 1124, does this issue disappear? The MiniDSP is soooooo nice and easy and quick and many other advantages, but 1124 does have some definite advantages over it. Such as the ability to load new filter settings at the without a computer. So I could have the late night setting and the setting for when the wife is home and when she is not.
I have the 1124 but would have bought the MiniDSP if it were available at the time. That said, I have to be careful that I don't clip the input on it with my receiver. It's also got a push button toggle between -10dB and +4dB.

Glad your drivers arrived. Did you figure something out with your line array? You never said what your final plan was.
post #43 of 103 Old 01-06-13, 05:03 PM
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System
Quote:
blitzer wrote: View Post
Now have to start putting these boards together. Maybe start that tonight.
7 boards? 8? What is the master plan here. Should be a pretty stout baffle if those get coupled together well. Gluing right?

post #44 of 103 Old 01-06-13, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System

Quote:
vann_d wrote: View Post

Glad your drivers arrived. Did you figure something out with your line array? You never said what your final plan was.
What I settled on was to have the cones showing, but to recess the drivers a 2-3 inches and cover with a grill to protect them. Exposing the back sides required building a box so the backs did not stick out too far into the room. It was too much work for what it would get me. So I have added a few extra boards to recess the drivers.

So what I have ended up with is the model below, but with the drivers recessed a bit. I did this because I do have a 8 year old and when his friends get together, the throw things like footballs.

I have 8 layers of boards that will make up the baffle. You would think that would be super thick, it is, but I have cut away 90% to fit in the drivers. I am working with little space below my screen. I needed to fit in 4 18.5" drivers in 80"X20". The baffle would not be ideal for other installs, but I will be heavily bracing it directly to concrete on the back side. It will be VERY ridged.

Last edited by blitzer; 01-18-13 at 09:06 PM.
post #45 of 103 Old 01-06-13, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System

Quote:
7 boards? 8? What is the master plan here. Should be a pretty stout baffle if those get coupled together well. Gluing right?
Glued, screwed and bolted to concrete. With current plans, this thing will be well over 200 pounds of subwoofer.

I have a REALLY bad tendency to overbuild things and be really picky about what I build. It's a affliction that prevents you from getting anything like this done. I have been trying to fight that. I was originally planning on building a baffle that was 18" thick to totally encase the Subs. I can always over build later.
post #46 of 103 Old 01-06-13, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System

Quote:
Oh - forgot, still planning on cutting a hole in the wall and placing the baffle in the wall. This is the cleanest install the the least intrusive in the room. Can always close the wall up easily enough if needed. But, I am doing this by the seat of the pants, so reserve the right to make a game time decision.
post #47 of 103 Old 01-07-13, 10:30 AM
Senior Shackster

Brandon

My System

Excited to see how the laminated baffle turns out! Nice work
post #48 of 103 Old 01-07-13, 02:50 PM
Senior Shackster
zac

My System

Lookin' good! Do you have a massive pile of wood clamps or are you just gonna screw and glue?

So no box -- just the baffle mounted onto the wall and the magnets nestling into the joist spaces? Nice!
post #49 of 103 Old 01-07-13, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System

Quote:
zacjones wrote: View Post
Lookin' good! Do you have a massive pile of wood clamps or are you just gonna screw and glue?
I have only about 7 clamps. Not at all enough so, I think I am going to make use of my floor, a set of concrete blocks I have and screwing and gluing. Clamps will help keep things lined up. I guess I need to start at the front and work all the way back if I am screwing. If ya know what I mean.
post #50 of 103 Old 01-15-13, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System

Baffle Close-ups. Baffle is currently 5 inches thick or so with 8 layers of boards and MDF all glued and screwed. I decided that none of the baffle is going to be visible, so did not need to do furnature quality work. I am putting on a grill with speaker cloth. Will take off grill for when my ears need a workout.

Test fit. Recessing drivers for look mostly - did not want them sticking out into the room

Last 3 boards not attached yet.

Last edited by blitzer; 01-15-13 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Updated Images