Christmas Build - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 103 Old 02-01-13, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to blitzer
Re: Christmas Build

Concrete gone! Can't let a little thing like the stability of your house stand in the way of the man cave!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 103 Old 02-01-13, 01:17 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Concrete gone! Can't let a little thing like the stability of your house stand in the way of the man cave!
WIN
post #73 of 103 Old 02-04-13, 11:55 PM
Senior Shackster
zac

My System

Looks great man! Mine definitely took a lot longer than I thought it would too. But it was well worth the trouble!

post #74 of 103 Old 02-09-13, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System

Ok, I decided to add a 2x6 frame to the back for stability, so the baffle is about 10 inches thick now with boards and frame. I decided to go as simple as possible for the braces. The entire baffle has been screwed and glued and have screwed and glued it to the concrete as well. I estimate I have used over 200 screws in this build and probably 150 of them were not needed. After gluing and screwing the braces to the floor the entire baffle passes the knuckle test better than any speaker I have encountered.

I should be able to get the woofs in this weekend!!!

post #75 of 103 Old 02-09-13, 06:01 PM
Senior Shackster
zac

My System

Wow. Kreg joints -- talk about overkill . I like it. Looks fantastic!!! Looks to me like you really pulled it off. The bottom of the manifold is braced against a bottom plate that's screwed into the concrete too right? I put WAY more screws than necessary in my project too . Can't wait to hear your take on your new IB! Nice job.

Last edited by zacjones; 02-09-13 at 08:27 PM.
post #76 of 103 Old 02-10-13, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System

Quote:
zacjones wrote: View Post
Wow. Kreg joints -- talk about overkill . I like it. Looks fantastic!!! Looks to me like you really pulled it off. The bottom of the manifold is braced against a bottom plate that's screwed into the concrete too right? I put WAY more screws than necessary in my project too . Can't wait to hear your take on your new IB! Nice job.
Thanks man. Yeah, the bottom of the baffle and the frame is screwed down into the concrete. It ain't moving. I got a few of the drivers in today - pics tomorrow. I painted the back black and it looks ominous. I actually is starting to look like a dam now that it is painted. I should rename the build "IB Damed"

Last edited by blitzer; 02-11-13 at 07:37 AM.
post #77 of 103 Old 02-12-13, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System

I am partially done installing the drivers as you see below. Had to use some 11" threaded rod to get through the thickness of the baffle.

Having a bit of a tough time getting the last one attached because of the concrete behind it. I should have had them cut away more concrete. Working on it.

post #78 of 103 Old 02-14-13, 07:57 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Wow, great looking project, blitzer. I love to see people doing something different, and I don't think I've seen many punch through concrete walls to create their sub enclosures. I also love the pocket hole installation, and the 11" (!) threaded rods you're using to secure the drivers. Way to make things work!

- OJ -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #79 of 103 Old 02-16-13, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System
Quote:
Owen Bartley wrote: View Post
Wow, great looking project, blitzer. I love to see people doing something different, and I don't think I've seen many punch through concrete walls to create their sub enclosures. I also love the pocket hole installation, and the 11" (!) threaded rods you're using to secure the drivers. Way to make things work!
Thanks, this is a seat of the pants, build as you go type of install. So far so good. More progress and pictures soon. Have a few lessons learned for future builders.

-Brent

post #80 of 103 Old 02-23-13, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System

Construction is 95% completed. I have some sealing around the door and ceiling to do yet.

I have not truly fired this thing up yet as I have a serious gain issue with the MiniDSP. I have purchased a Samson S-convert to handle that problem. I currently have it setup just to do some test tones and sweeps from the computer. Taking things slow.....I don't really want to start listening to this thing until I have it tuned because I know how bad things can sound without at least minimal tuning. Surprisingly, I get absolutely no vibrations from the baffle even during loudest test sweeps(Unlike the rest of the house). The baffle being effectively 11" thick helped but what turned it into a rock was it being anchored directly to the concrete. So 11" baffle may have been overkill duh.
The entire house does indeed shake on slow sweeps and I have only managed to put the EP4000 amp up to 50%. At this point I cannot imagine ever having the amp at 100%. With my old sub, I had just had some vibrations at various places in the HT ceiling during very loud passages, with the IB, the walls and things are vibrating in other rooms through the HT walls. I have yet to find a wall surface in the house where at least some vibrations cannot be felt. I do not fear of this damaging the house though. My ears would die long before my house shakes loose. Example, the bathroom mirror 2 levels up makes noise. I am going to have to better secure the trim along the HT doors/walls/floors, because it is vibrating between where the nails are. One wall is like jelly to the left of the sub - need to beef that wall up or else my REW waterfall plot will look like a ski-jump because it continues to flex "long" after sound has stopped.

When a slow sweep is still subsonic, you hear nothing but the whole house vibrating and you feel very strange. There is no indication that sound is coming from the IB - just the house starts to shake as if it has nothing to do with what you are doing. Like a perfect simulation of an earthquake. During the first sweep it freaked me out (there was quite a loud vibration from behind me somewhere before I heard anything else). I am sure it's my imagination, but your vision seems to blur a bit.

Sweeps, especially slow sweeps, and single frequency size waves do create much more vibrations in objects than movies/music because they build up fundamental frequencies in all physical things, but it is a good test to see what may audibly vibrate from time to time during playback.

I may have some time this weekend to post some baseline sweeps and start that whole process.

Initial lesson learned, one of the design goals of this subwoofer turned out to be unnecessary. The funny thing was that I was expecting the baffle to vibrate and impart unwanted mechanical energy to the wall if I coupled it to the wall. So if you look close at the pictures - there is a 1/4" gap between the sub baffle and the wall that is currently filled with spray in foam. Well, turns out this was completely unnecessary given how much I overbuilt. The baffle is solid as a rock and the baffle wall moves quite a bit with the air pressure of the subs. Hard to believe, but the baffle is about the only thing NOT vibrating in the house. I am now considering coupling the wall directly to the baffle to stabilize the wall. Something will need to be done to stabilize that wall and the other walls in the basement.

Last edited by blitzer; 02-23-13 at 10:03 AM.