Christmas Build - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 103 Old 02-23-13, 09:45 AM
Senior Shackster

Re: Christmas Build

Very very nice. Can't wait to see some measurements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 103 Old 02-23-13, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to blitzer

Thanks!

Here are some quick AND PROBABLY COMPLETELY INVALID measurements. I have read up on REW and I think I have things right but this is where I lose all confidence in my abilities and need the help fellow Shacksters.

What I have done below is to do a baseline and then compare that with what Audyssey did. I am waiting on my line gain for the MiniDSP so I can really do some EQ'ing, but I thought this may have some value.

***Volume non-sense*** I am using the EP4000 at 50% and the volume on the receiver is set 10-15db below the level I used to watch movies at before the IB. Also, Audyssey put the subwoofer level down an additional -12db when leveling the IB. So, the volume in the graphs is WAY down where it would be without all the reduction in sub levels. Does all this invalidate these sweeps?

I am using the MiniDSP UMIK1 USB mic connected directly to my computer and then using the SPDIF from the computer directly into the receiver.

The Red is the baseline, the green is what Audyssey did.

Any thoughts/help/advice on these would be great. My room is mapped out earlier in the thread. It is 5400 square feet in an L shape with NO current room tuning except for some owens corning 702 behind the screen, thick carpet, and a sectional at mid room.

I have also attached the REW file with the 2 sweeps.

post #83 of 103 Old 02-23-13, 10:14 PM
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System
Firstly, awesome build. I'm getting a little scared to build my own. The wife might freak.

Second, response seems to fall off a cliff at 15 Hz, which seems a bit strange. Looks like a ported box response.

Third, looks like you have a giant mode at 25Hz but otherwise looks like auydessy(sp?) did a pretty good job with the eq.

After a little practice you will find RoomEQ Wizard to be a very easy program to work with. You seem like a smart guy so I'm sure you'll get used to it soon.

So baffle wall is just hung from ceiling now huh? Yeah, sounds like coupling it to the baffle is a good idea.

post #84 of 103 Old 02-23-13, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System
Quote:
vann_d wrote: View Post
Firstly, awesome build. I'm getting a little scared to build my own. The wife might freak.

Second, response seems to fall off a cliff at 15 Hz, which seems a bit strange. Looks like a ported box response.

Third, looks like you have a giant mode at 25Hz but otherwise looks like auydessy(sp?) did a pretty good job with the eq.

After a little practice you will find RoomEQ Wizard to be a very easy program to work with. You seem like a smart guy so I'm sure you'll get used to it soon.

So baffle wall is just hung from ceiling now huh? Yeah, sounds like coupling it to the baffle is a good idea.
Thanks for the thumbs up! Well, maybe it's the last 5% of the build that I am procrastinating on - that would be finishing up the sealing of the room. Maybe it is behaving like a ported box to some degree with the small air leaks I have, but I doubt it. Just for kicks I did a sweep with the door open and it did not affect the sounds as much as I thought it would - strange. Maybe I will try pumping up the volume soon, but I have got 500 watts going to each driver which can bottom them out under 15hz. So I am proceeding with caution until I can put in a SSF.

-Brent

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #85 of 103 Old 02-27-13, 08:29 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Looking great, blitzer! That manifold looks amazing from the rear, the structural details give it an industrial feel, and I'm sure it's very very stable. Looks nice and clean from the front too, but you need to show us a wider angle of the finished (almost) baffle!

- OJ -

post #86 of 103 Old 03-03-13, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System

Quote:
vann_d wrote: View Post

I think I have figured out the issue with the response falling off rapidly below 15Hz. I believe it is the microphone. I bought a UMIK-1 Microphone from MiniDSP and they have had issues with the response. It is a big controversy, but originally the mic was supposed to have response much further down than 15Hz. Now, they have changed the published response to be just down to 15hz and changed all the correction files for the microphones to not include any correction below 20Hz. The original correction files had entries down to 4.9Hz..... Dissapointing. I am going to have to get another mic to accurately plot the response below 15hz
post #87 of 103 Old 03-03-13, 06:13 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

UMIK-1 Microphone problems aside, in your opinion how does the IB sound?

We're all in this together!

post #88 of 103 Old 07-18-13, 06:12 AM
Shackster

Very interested in your final impressions?
post #89 of 103 Old 01-15-14, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System

Here is the current setup. I am starting to get back into tuning this beast.

post #90 of 103 Old 01-16-14, 08:10 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Ooh la la - that looks so clean! Looking forward to hearing your impressions!