Finished IB Projects Photos - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 46 Old 07-29-08, 04:10 AM
Senior Shackster

Mike R

Re: Finished IB Projects Photos

I have a build thread at The IB Cult forum, however I want to post here my finished product.
(well, I have to make the rectangular speaker cover still)

Here is my line array built with 4 x AE IB15's, my first DIY speaker project.

I've named this IB subwoofer "Usul", because I had to cut thru rock (concrete foundation wall) to make this project a reality:

Carpeting and wall acoustic treatments are a few weeks away.
Yet I am so please with the sound quality, clean, powerful bass presence.

Anyone considering to build a IB sub I highly recommend the AE IB15's, great value for the $$'s.
My total investment is around $1.3k, speakers, amp, EQ, mounting boards, hardware, speaker grille cloth, etc.
I am driving them with the Behringer EP2500 Europower Power Amp, EQ Behringer FBQ2496 Feedback Destroyer (not dialed in yet, I'm just learning REW)

Mike R,P.E.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by mtbdudex; 08-10-08 at 07:09 PM. Reason: sp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 Old 11-14-08, 05:05 AM
Banned!
jordan powell

I found "Usul" on youtube! HT guys don't really do speaker , do ya?
post #23 of 46 Old 09-01-10, 05:30 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
IBorBox wrote: View Post
Not quite sure I understand your question but the voicecoils for each speaker is wired in series and then the grouping of four are wired in parallel. All speakers will be moving in or out at the same time. There is no push/pull in an IB.
Why couldnt you have push/pull in an IB. Ill you need to do is spin one (or half of) the drivers around. As long as they are mechanically in phase, in theory, the push pull should be the same as it is in any cab. The only thing I can think of, is that due to completely lack of any air spring, the push pull mechanics wouldnt work as they do in an normal sealed cab, which actually makes sense to me.

You could have the drivers in a push pull configuration easily enough, but I wander if the distortion cancelling effects would apply. That said, IB's dont need any of that anyway do they, as they are super clean anyway. Any who, here is a picture of what looks like a push/pull IB to me -

post #24 of 46 Old 09-05-10, 02:37 PM
Senior Shackster

^^^ Any asymmetry in the motor/suspension will still cancel to some extent with that layout but I guess the difference would be less than with conventional size enclosures.

Vibration would be an issue with that layout compared to opposed in a manifold.
post #25 of 46 Old 12-04-10, 08:14 AM
Shackster

There is some really neat designs here, I definetly do not have the room in my house for one of these systems, but sure would like o hear one in the future.
post #26 of 46 Old 08-27-11, 02:51 PM
Senior Shackster

Bob

No new IB builds in the past three years?

post #27 of 46 Old 08-27-11, 04:23 PM
Elite Shackster

People seem put off by IBs and not that many people can easily accommodate them. On top of that, something like an LLT is a bit cheaper to make as well, so we dont see that many IB builds in general really. I plan to install one eventually, but that time seems to keep being put back.
post #28 of 46 Old 09-24-11, 11:53 AM
Senior Shackster

Bob

{sorry for the delay, I didn't get email notification}

I agree an IB is kinda of a crazy, wacked out thing to have. They're also very hard to pass the WAF when you talk about cutting large (permament) holes in the house. ha ha

But I figured that SURELY someone had built one in the past three years.
My comment was more of a "bump", than anything.

Bob

post #29 of 46 Old 09-24-11, 11:56 AM
Senior Shackster

Bob

oh....by the way, that comment you made last year (post #23) about "Push/pull", is my IB.

Bob

post #30 of 46 Old 09-24-11, 12:47 PM
Elite Shackster

Nice, which drivers did you use.