vann_d's 4 x FicarIB318 build - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 41 Old 12-29-12, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System
vann_d's 4 x FicarIB318 build

Drivers arrived today from Ficar! 4 big ole boxes. Everything seemed to be smartly packed and there was no damage even though one of the boxes had seen some abuse.

My wife is scared and she should be...
Attached Thumbnails
vann_d's 4 x FicarIB318 build-p1040591.jpg  

vann_d's 4 x FicarIB318 build-p1040598.jpg  

vann_d's 4 x FicarIB318 build-p1040597.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 12-30-12, 12:16 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: vann_d's 4 x FicarIB318 build

Nice!

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 41 Old 12-30-12, 10:25 AM
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to blitzer
Sweet! FedEx tells me that mine will be here on Thursday. Did you ask that the logo not be put on the dust caps? How is the build quality? Are they good for serving salads on the table there?

-Brent

post #4 of 41 Old 12-30-12, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System

Quote:
blitzer wrote: View Post
Sweet! FedEx tells me that mine will be here on Thursday. Did you ask that the logo not be put on the dust caps? How is the build quality? Are they good for serving salads on the table there?
Ha ha! They would be ginormous salads!

Build quality looks great to me. You can tell they are hand assembled. Honestly, they look over-built. The rubber surrounds are big and thick. I can't imagine one failing. The spider seems super heavy duty. They look like they could handle so much more power than 500W based on the soft parts. Of course, they probably can because I think that is power in IB to hit xmax at 20 Hz.

I did not ask for the logos to be removed (not installed). They just came that way. Maybe Scott is doing this to make the HT crowd happy. Personally, I think the logos are fine and I wouldn't have minded them at all. Of course, I'm doing a manifold install anyway so it wouldn't have mattered.
post #5 of 41 Old 12-31-12, 11:44 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Those look amazing, and seriously intimidating. Did your table sag at all with them all sitting on top!? lol

You are going to have some very serious displacement going on with these and I'll be watching to see how the build progresses. Great project!

- OJ -

post #6 of 41 Old 12-31-12, 03:17 PM
Elite Shackster

Glen

Nice.

I just had to respond as I want to keep abreast of this build

post #7 of 41 Old 12-31-12, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System

Quote:
Owen Bartley wrote: View Post
Those look amazing, and seriously intimidating. Did your table sag at all with them all sitting on top!? lol

You are going to have some very serious displacement going on with these and I'll be watching to see how the build progresses. Great project!
The motor structure is not huge and the magnets do not appear terribly strong. The efficiency of the system and the power handling is where these seem to rock in an IB config. My WinISD model shows the four of them at over 94 dB 1W/m, which is very sensitive for a subwoofer. The large xmax (30mm) and their innate characteristics mean that a sub(infra) sonic filter is not required at even the lowest frequencies if power is controlled.

I'm actually going to be under-powering them by about 500W but I really don't need another 3dB of headroom with this system. In actual use, I'll probably max out at about 30W apiece and be hitting well over 100dB at the LP. I think I have headroom for full reference at LP but I don't anticipate listening that loud. This will keep woofer displacement way down and distortion very low.

I have never had or heard a system that will compare to the one I'm now building so there is the chance that I will crank the volume louder than ever before because of the clean sound I will be getting. Needless to say, I'm very excited to get the build completed!
post #8 of 41 Old 12-31-12, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System

Here is a shot of the baffle wall where I am planning the install of two manifolds (areas highlighted). Second pic shows behind the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
vann_d's 4 x FicarIB318 build-picture4.jpg  

vann_d's 4 x FicarIB318 build-p1040618.jpg  

post #9 of 41 Old 01-02-13, 09:56 AM
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to blitzer

Quote:
vann_d wrote: View Post
The motor structure is not huge and the magnets do not appear terribly strong. The efficiency of the system and the power handling is where these seem to rock in an IB config. My WinISD model shows the four of them at over 94 dB 1W/m, which is very sensitive for a subwoofer. The large xmax (30mm) and their innate characteristics mean that a sub(infra) sonic filter is not required at even the lowest frequencies if power is controlled.

I'm actually going to be under-powering them by about 500W but I really don't need another 3dB of headroom with this system. In actual use, I'll probably max out at about 30W apiece and be hitting well over 100dB at the LP. I think I have headroom for full reference at LP but I don't anticipate listening that loud. This will keep woofer displacement way down and distortion very low.

I have never had or heard a system that will compare to the one I'm now building so there is the chance that I will crank the volume louder than ever before because of the clean sound I will be getting. Needless to say, I'm very excited to get the build completed!
I have read that people end up using more power/headroom because they are not getting as much "boom" as they do from other designs. I constantly am seeing from past builds that people are crazy impressed with their IB sub, but then often feel that they a missing something that they had from their more conventional subs. I find that hard to believe, but I have read it time and time again.

Maybe distortion or box sound does sound good for explosions to give it that extra boom or chest punch. Explosions definitely do sound different in person because in movies, sound from explosions last for 5+ seconds and in real life, the sound only lasts a fraction of a second. But for that fraction of a second, your guts do get moved around.

I guess we will find out. I intend to have my sub done in a couple weeks. You look to have a ways to go to finish the theater. What is your timeline?
post #10 of 41 Old 01-02-13, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System
I'm not sure how these will sound but I doubt I'll be disappointed. The system q with the Fi's should be between .6 @ .7 which is right about where many sealed boxes are designed. I would expect there to be plenty of "slam".

I think some who have been disappointed may have used drivers not suited for IB. For example, if a RE XXX was used the low end would be killer but the sound would lack some punch because the system q would be too low.

Of course, so people do like distortion. ..

Last edited by vann_d; 01-02-13 at 07:24 PM.